What shoe?

Old October 11th 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

Default What shoe?

I need to spend 3 pence more at Wiggle to get my 10% discount. So I will
save £5!!

I think the ideal item to take me over £50 will be a new pair of shoes.
I've been using a pair of LIDL shoes for the last year or two, but they
are really a size too big and very noisy on hard floors.

Would you recommend buying shoes over the web? I haven't found a
stockist of shoes here in Cardiff (well, I found one, but despite my
repeated enquiries they never did get back to me with details).

I need a shoe for rides which rarely last longer than an hour or so, and
I need to be able to walk around in reasonable comfort. I was looking at
the ones on:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx...spx&W=0&Manufa
cturer=Cateye&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName= &ProdID=5300004734&Ube
rCat=0.

Am I correct in thinking that I will need to transfer the cleats from my
old shoes to the new ones, so any shoe will be compatible?

Thanks,

Daniele
Old October 11th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

D.M. Procida wrote:
I need to spend 3 pence more at Wiggle to get my 10% discount. So I
will save £5!!

I think the ideal item to take me over £50 will be a new pair of
shoes. I've been using a pair of LIDL shoes for the last year or two,
but they are really a size too big and very noisy on hard floors.

Would you recommend buying shoes over the web?

I've been very happy with shoes I've bought over the web.

I haven't found a
stockist of shoes here in Cardiff (well, I found one, but despite my
repeated enquiries they never did get back to me with details).

I need a shoe for rides which rarely last longer than an hour or so,
and I need to be able to walk around in reasonable comfort. I was
looking at the ones on:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx...spx&W=0&Manufa
cturer=Cateye&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName= &ProdID=5300004734&Ube
rCat=0.

That brings up a light bracket - the kind of thing that is good to fill up a
basket!

Am I correct in thinking that I will need to transfer the cleats from
my old shoes to the new ones,

Correct, shoes don't come with cleats, pedals do.

so any shoe will be compatible?

No, but the type of shoes you'll be looking at probably will be compatible
with what you probably have :-) What type of cleats/pedals do you have?

~PB

Old October 11th 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

Pete Biggs wrote:

I need a shoe for rides which rarely last longer than an hour or so,
and I need to be able to walk around in reasonable comfort. I was
looking at the ones on:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx...spx&W=0&Manufa
cturer=Cateye&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName= &ProdID=5300004734&Ube
rCat=0.

That brings up a light bracket - the kind of thing that is good to fill up a
basket!

Thank you Wiggle for using frames. How very 1998.

Try
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryProd...=0&CategoryNam
e=Shoes%20-%20Cycle%20Touring instead.

Am I correct in thinking that I will need to transfer the cleats from
my old shoes to the new ones,

Correct, shoes don't come with cleats, pedals do.

so any shoe will be compatible?

No, but the type of shoes you'll be looking at probably will be compatible
with what you probably have :-) What type of cleats/pedals do you have?

They are SPDs.

Daniele
Old October 11th 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

D.M. Procida said the following on 11/10/2006 12:39:
I need to spend 3 pence more at Wiggle to get my 10% discount. So I will
save £5!!

You could always buy some cable end caps...

Would you recommend buying shoes over the web? I haven't found a
stockist of shoes here in Cardiff (well, I found one, but despite my
repeated enquiries they never did get back to me with details).

I couldn't get your link to do anything sensible without a lot of
faffing about, so I didn't bother - can I suggest you have a look at
http://tinyurl.com/ . I bought some Specialized shoes from Wiggle, and
one thing to be aware of is that American cycling shoes (not just
Specialized) seem to be sized one size down from normal, so I had to get
45s instead of the normal 44s. At least with Wiggle you can just send
them back (you pay postage), and get alternatives.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 11th 06, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Paul Boyd much.better@elsewhere wrote:
snip
At least with Wiggle you can just send
them back (you pay postage), and get alternatives.

As you should be able to do with any UK supplier, under the Consumer
Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000.
Old October 11th 06, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

D.M. Procida wrote:

Would you recommend buying shoes over the web?

No, unless you happen to know that what you're getting will fit you.
Shoes are a complex 3D shape and there's no substitute for trying on in
person. You /might/ be fine, but OTOH you might spend a chunk of money
on something that is very much 2nd best for your purposes.

Am I correct in thinking that I will need to transfer the cleats from my
old shoes to the new ones, so any shoe will be compatible?

Road specific shoes tend to take Look and SPuD-R cleats, MTB and
"leisure" shoes tend to take SPuD and SPuD compatible cleats. They
should all say what they take. SPuD-u-like systems will almost
certainly fit any shoe that takes SPuD cleats.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old October 11th 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Rob Morley said the following on 11/10/2006 13:40:

As you should be able to do with any UK supplier, under the Consumer
Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000.

Well yes, but some make it easier than others :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 11th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

D.M. Procida wrote:

They are SPDs.

Just about all "touring" and "MTB" shoes will be compatible.

I find Shimano M021* very comfortable for walking as well as
short-to-medium-distance cycling. Great VFM. Everyone goes on about
Shimano shoes being narrow but I don't find that the case with this model or
my Shimano roadie shoes (forget the name now). However, an older
lightweight touring Shimano shoe I tried before was indeed partcularly
narrow for the size. Shame because I would have liked them a lot otherwise.

* http://tinyurl.com/ebyv6

~PB

Old October 11th 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Pete Biggs wrote:

I find Shimano M021* very comfortable for walking as well as
short-to-medium-distance cycling. Great VFM. Everyone goes on about
Shimano shoes being narrow but I don't find that the case with this model or
my Shimano roadie shoes (forget the name now).

But your feet may well be narrower than the people going on about them
being narrow... lots of people /do/ have feet that shape, which is why
some shoes are relatively narrow compared to others in the first place.

Pete.
Old October 11th 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup

Rob Morley wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:
At least with Wiggle you can just send
them back (you pay postage), and get alternatives.

As you should be able to do with any UK supplier, under the Consumer
Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000.

Thought they were only under obligation to change them/refund the money
if there was something wrong with them. Changing them because they are
the wrong size or colour is a business decision.
--

www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk

The Effects of Hiking Shoes on Wildlife and People -- [email protected] Mountain Biking 3 June 1st 06 04:46 PM
Road pedals? Dave Stallard General 21 September 16th 05 06:26 PM
Road pedals? Dave Stallard Techniques 21 September 16th 05 06:26 PM
AD: Spa Sport Neoprene Shoe Covers Starting At ONLY $19.95!! Spa Sport Marketplace 0 February 5th 05 04:50 AM
AD: Spa Sport Neoprene Shoe Covers Starting At ONLY $19.95!! Spa Sport Marketplace 0 January 30th 05 12:43 AM