Small cyclocross frames and toe overlap?

Old September 30th 03, 10:28 PM
Bret Wade

Default Small cyclocross frames and toe overlap?

I've never been one to get too deeply into the details of frame design
since I have a fairly average body and seem to adapt well to any
reasonably designed bike. My wife is a different story though and I'm
trying to understand the tradeoffs necessary to get a good fit for her
with a small cyclocross bike. Her current frame is a 48 cm Redline
Conquest that has been declared insufficient due to toe-wheel overlap.
I've measured 4 cm of overlap with the current setup.

I don't want to replace this frame only to have the same problem, so
I've set about trying to calculate toe overlap based on the following
published specifications and measurements:

Frame Specifications:
Wheelbase
Chainstay length
BB height

Measurements:
Wheel radius
Crank Length
Pedal offset from BB center
Toe offset from pedal center

I've created an Excel spreadsheet that calculates the dimensions of
two triangles defined by the BB, dropouts, and the intersection of the
wheelbase line and a line drawn vertically from the BB. It then
calculates the toe clearance when the wheel is at an angle that
intersects the toe. If I'm not mistaken, the only factor I'm
neglecting is wheel flop due to head tube angle, but I assume that is
negligible.

My calculated value for the Redline is 1.6 cm of overlap compared to
the actual value of 4 cm. For my wifes road bike, the measured and
calculated values are within 1 cm. In any case, the calculation seems
like a good basis for comparison of various geometrys.

Plugging in some numbers from various vendor websites, I'm able to
confirm that Redline has made some design tradeoffs that increase toe
overlap. It has a short wheelbase and long chainstays compared to
other makes. To make matters worse, my wifes Redline has a wheelbase
that measures 1.5 cm under the spec, increasing the problem. I can't
say for sure that this is build error because the bike has been loaned
to juniors and crashed in ways that I can only speculate about.

Looking at other designs, Kona's Jake the Snake (49)has 2.6 cm more
toe clearance. They seem to have accomplished this by using a longer
wheelbase and shortening the chainstay by using a steeper seat tube
angle. The Gunnar Crosshair (48) also has better toe clearance. They
have a shorter wheelbase than the Kona, but an even steeper seat tube
allows for a shorter chainstay. It appears that the tradeoff is:

Wheelbase vs. Seat Angle/Chainstay Length vs. Toe Clearance

Comments? Is my methodology valid? Which tradeoff sounds better, Kona
or Gunnar? Any recommendations for other well designed small cross
frames? Is the Redline a pig or what? Should I have Mark Hickey do a
custom frame?

All opinions welcome,
Bret

P.S. If you'd like to have the spreadsheet, drop me an email.
Old October 1st 03, 12:09 AM
Pete Rissler

"Bret Wade" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I have a 54 cm conquest pro, my shoe size is a mens 7. I also have overlap
with my front wheel . I've been racing cyclocross with it for three years
with no problems.

--
Pete Rissler
http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/

Old October 1st 03, 12:16 AM
Mike S.

"Bret Wade" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Now you know why Terry uses a 650 front wheel on their smaller bikes...

Having said that, the only time you'll ever have a problem is when you're
going slowly and trying to really turn sharply.

Has there been some problem that your wife has had that is causing this
email?

Mike

Old October 1st 03, 03:54 AM
Bret Wade

Mike S. wrote:

"Bret Wade" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Hi Mike,

We spent the last weekend coaching juniors at a cyclocross camp and this
did involve demonstrating some drills that accentuate the toe overlap
problem. While I do agree that the frame is ridable, we've come to the
conclusion that we want to make a change for this and other reasons. Why
ride a bike that you don't enjoy?

While shopping for a replacement, I want to choose a frame that
minimizes toe overlap, while providing a similar fit, without causing
other problems. So far, every other manufacturer I've looked at is an
improvement. But what is the tradeoff adding 1-2 cm to the wheelbase?

Thanks,
Bret

Old October 1st 03, 05:38 AM
Mark Hickey

(Bret Wade) wrote:

Looking at other designs, Kona's Jake the Snake (49)has 2.6 cm more
toe clearance. They seem to have accomplished this by using a longer
wheelbase and shortening the chainstay by using a steeper seat tube
angle. The Gunnar Crosshair (48) also has better toe clearance. They
have a shorter wheelbase than the Kona, but an even steeper seat tube
allows for a shorter chainstay. It appears that the tradeoff is:

Wheelbase vs. Seat Angle/Chainstay Length vs. Toe Clearance

There's also fork rake to concider, and chainstay length really isn't
part of the formula (unless you're subtracting it from wheelbase to
get BB-front hub distance).

Comments? Is my methodology valid? Which tradeoff sounds better, Kona
or Gunnar? Any recommendations for other well designed small cross
frames? Is the Redline a pig or what?

On a really small frame with 700c wheels, you have to compromise
somewhere. You can steepen the seat tube, run a slightly longer top
tube and maybe a little slacker head tube - but in the end you will
probably find that the "real world effect" is that the compromises in
handling that result are a bigger problem than a little toe overlap.
I suggest to most people that are agonizing over TO to go ride around
in tight little circles and get used to toe-tire contact - after just
a few times, it becomes second nature to drop a heel or backpedal to
clear it. Heck, I ride a stock 56x56cm road frame, have size 10 shoes
(Euro 44), and because I ride my cleats far back on my shoes, I have
toe overlap as well (and that's on about as "normal" a frame geometry
as there is).

Should I have Mark Hickey do a
custom frame?

An excellent idea! ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Old October 1st 03, 05:59 AM
Bret Wade

Mark Hickey wrote:
(Bret Wade) wrote:

Looking at other designs, Kona's Jake the Snake (49)has 2.6 cm more
toe clearance. They seem to have accomplished this by using a longer
wheelbase and shortening the chainstay by using a steeper seat tube
angle. The Gunnar Crosshair (48) also has better toe clearance. They
have a shorter wheelbase than the Kona, but an even steeper seat tube
allows for a shorter chainstay. It appears that the tradeoff is:

Wheelbase vs. Seat Angle/Chainstay Length vs. Toe Clearance

There's also fork rake to concider, and chainstay length really isn't
part of the formula (unless you're subtracting it from wheelbase to
get BB-front hub distance).

That's what I was doing, subtracting the horizontal component of the
chainstay length from wheelbase. The remainder of the wheelbase is then
used as the horizontal component when calculating toe clearance.

[...]

The various manufacturers made different choices. Redline chose toe
overlap while Kona and Gunnar shyed away from it. Does anyone think Kona
and Gunnar have compromised handling in their smaller sizes?

Should I have Mark Hickey do a
custom frame?

An excellent idea! ;-)

Thanks, we'll consider it.

Old October 2nd 03, 11:22 PM
Bruni

This is similar to the thread "are short stems bad?" a while back. Long TT
for a given fit with a short stem is the best tradeoff for our petite
comrades, For cross the reduced weight transfer while braking is very
useful.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
David E. Belcher wrote in message
om...
(Bret Wade) wrote in message

. com...

Is the Redline a pig or what?

Similar comments were made in UK review a few years ago re. toeclip
overlap on Redlines - and the bike they tested wasn't a small one.
Must be a general shortcoming of their design, and one that they
seemingly haven't rectified in subsequent years' models.

David E. Belcher