Carbon frame intregrity after accident

Old October 29th 03, 03:15 AM
Jürgen Hartwig

Default OK, that's what I needed

I visited two respected local shops today, and I'm going to buy a new bike.
I was really impressed with the Giant TCR Composite line and the Specialized
Roubaix.

After making first contact with the at-fault party and his insurance
company, it sounds like the next few weeks/months will not be fun. I will
stop worrying now. I will do what it takes to make me happy.

Thanks again everyone.

Jürgen

Old October 29th 03, 04:48 AM
Phil Brown

After making first contact with the at-fault party and his insurance
company, it sounds like the next few weeks/months will not be fun. I will
stop worrying now. I will do what it takes to make me happy.

If that's the case see a lawyer. If I remember you were injured as well as
having the bike damaged. If the insurance company is going to be tough you get
tough as well.
Phil Brown
Old October 29th 03, 03:10 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

carl- A lawyer and even a trial may be necessary, but
it's surprising how often people find arbitration
far quicker, cheaper, and more satisfying. BRBR

Few in personal injury caes actually go to trial. A lawyer is there to
arbitrate for you with the insurance company, it's what they do(what mine is
doing now).

Carl First thing we do, let's kill all the insurance
agents? BRBR

They are just doing their slimey job, kill the fat cats in the penthouse apt
that are getting rich...start with AIG please.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old October 29th 03, 04:23 PM
David Reuteler

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
: start with AIG please.

agreed.

next anyone having anything to do with health insurance.
--
david reuteler

Old October 30th 03, 01:14 AM
Paul Southworth

Default Carbon frame intregrity after accident

In article ,
Jürgen Hartwig wrote:
I had an accident in which a car pulled across my path. I struck the
passenger rear quarter panel and flew over the car, taking the bike halfway
across the trunk. The fork was slightly bent (can be straightened), and
front wheel was badly warped. The frame is a ~1995 Trek 2300 with carbon
main tubes bonded to aluminum lugs. The carbon tubes look physically fine.
One bike shop states there is the risk of internal damage, and I should
consider replacing the frame. Another shop states the frame is fine,
straighten the fork, and replace the front wheel.

I have been unable to ride the bike due to a healing shoulder, so I cannot
comment on how it feels. Should I be concerned?

In my experience insurance companies do not want to hear a long
detailed explanation of what is wrong with your bike. They usually
just want to know if the bike needs to be replaced, and what it
will cost. If you add up the true cost of all repairs (including
cosmetic, using original parts, repainted at the factory, etc) you
will probably reach the price of a new bike. With a questionable
frame, trashed fork, trashed wheel, probably some other damaged
bits such as seat, handlebar tape, etc. not to mention damage to
paint - frankly it would be a lot of money to really make your bike
the way it was before the accident and they do pretty much owe you
a new one. A new one means a 5200 in my opinion, as the closest
thing in the Trek product line today.

Your "slightly bent" fork should not be straightened unless it is
steel which I doubt.

--Paul
Old October 30th 03, 02:37 AM
Carl Fogel

David Reuteler wrote in message m...
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
: start with AIG please.

agreed.

next anyone having anything to do with health insurance.

Dear David and Peter,

Honest, I'm willing to join any cheerful lynch mob, but I
can't follow the sectarian hatreds here. I tried the acronym
lookup, but doubt that you loathe German gynecologists or
international gerontologists or assistant inspectors general.

American Insurance Group? Any Insurance Group? All Insurance
Groups?

Some famous person's initials?

See the official list below.

Carl Fogel

http://www.acronymfinder.com

What does aig stand for?
Your search returned 19 meanings

Acronym Definition @Amazon.com
AIG Acquisition Improvement Group
AIG Address Indicator Group
AIG Addressee Identification Group
AIG Advertising Information Group (Brussels, Belgium)
AIG Air Intelligence Group
AIG Airbus Industries Group
AIG American International Group, Inc
AIG Amplifier Interface Group
AIG Answers in Genesis (religious group in defense of Scripture)
AIG Antitrust and Indemnity Group
AIG Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Informationsverarbeitung in Gynäkologie
Und Geburtshilfe
AIG Architecture Integration Group
AIG Army Initiatives Group
AIG Artificial Intelligence Group
AIG Asociación de Industriales de Guatemala (Association of
Industrialists of Guatemala 1929-34)
AIG Assistant Inspector General
AIG Assistant Instructor in Gunnery (Canadian and British Military)
AIG Association Internationale de Gérontologie (International
Association of Gerontology)
AIG Authentication Implementation
Old October 30th 03, 02:57 AM
David Reuteler

Carl Fogel wrote:
: American Insurance Group? Any Insurance Group? All Insurance
: Groups?

http://www.aig.com

AIG We Know Money(sm)

(i kid you not)