Cross threaded Cassette Fix??

Old November 1st 03, 02:53 AM
Dirk Diggler

Default Cross threaded Cassette Fix??

There's a first time for everything, and for Halloween (perhaps I was
distracted by passing out candy at the same time I was working) I cross
threaded a cassette lock-ring. Other than tossing out the cassette body
(Zipp NOT TOO cheap I imagine). Has anyone just removed, and tapped threads
back in (what diameter/pitch?, I assume it's a standard, but my cassette
body is Campagnolo)?

The damage was not too major. About the first 4 threads were chewed up.
I'm sooo ****ed, I've build wheels, bikes . . .etc. .And never screwed up
like this. It was weird, there was no resistance to indicate I was not
parallel to the cassette body.

-David

Old November 1st 03, 03:34 AM
Lewis Campbell

Unless you have totally ripped the threads off, you could probably line it
up properly and screw it back on again.

--
Lewis.

http://tinyurl.com/r3r6

*******************************

Old November 1st 03, 05:47 AM
Dirk Diggler

Yes, Lewis. That's what happened on my 6th or 7th try. I applied pressure
in just the right way and it's on perfectly. Initially, the way it went in,
it was at like a 10 degree angle, and would no longer engage threads, so it
only chewed the first 3 to 4 on one half of the cassettes threaded portion.
Whew. .! I've had enough excitement for tonight.. .

Regards,
Dirk

Old November 1st 03, 05:51 PM
Lewis Campbell

Glad to know you've got it fixed, Dirk.

--
Lewis.

http://tinyurl.com/r3r6

*******************************

Old November 1st 03, 08:31 PM
jim beam

next time, try one of these:

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...lcat_id =7607

makes life a lot easier because having the spike inseted into the axle
effectively alligns everything for you.

Old November 3rd 03, 12:34 AM
A Muzi

Dirk Diggler wrote:

There's a first time for everything, and for Halloween (perhaps I was
distracted by passing out candy at the same time I was working) I cross
threaded a cassette lock-ring. Other than tossing out the cassette body
(Zipp NOT TOO cheap I imagine). Has anyone just removed, and tapped threads
back in (what diameter/pitch?, I assume it's a standard, but my cassette
body is Campagnolo)?

The damage was not too major. About the first 4 threads were chewed up.
I'm sooo ****ed, I've build wheels, bikes . . .etc. .And never screwed up
like this. It was weird, there was no resistance to indicate I was not
parallel to the cassette body.

-David

The tool we use now for Shimano spline cassette lockrings
has a 50mm long 5mnm shaft in the center. It's made by Lifu
and sold under several house brands. Cheap, too. It makes a
difference when either the lockring or the body ( or both!)
are aluminum.

We don't have a Campagnolo pattern tool like it, however.

To your immediate problem, I'd get a steel lockring of the
proper thread and cut a slit or two in it, then use that as
a tap for your marfed body threads. You'll only be removing
material, that is to say, you won't recover any lost thread.
But in aluminum the usual failure is a galling or smearing
of the material and that would at least clear the extraneous
swarf out of your thread. Good luck!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org