98 RSX STI shifter died...

Old November 4th 03, 05:04 AM
Ritch

Default 98 RSX STI shifter died...

So it's time to buy some new shifters. I run a double on the front and
8sp on the back. I understand that if I buy new shifters and a 9sp
cassette, then I'll need a 9sp chain, a chain tool and the cassette
removal tool. Is that all I need? - if I do the job myself, that is.

Do I need a different chain tool to remove the current (8sp) chain?

Cheers,
Ritch

PS. I should mention that the bike is a 98 Giant Peleton that came
equipped with Shimano RSX. Now the front STI shifter has died (pooh!)
Old November 4th 03, 05:20 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

PS. I should mention that the bike is a 98 Giant Peleton that came
equipped with Shimano RSX. Now the front STI shifter has died (pooh!)

The older RSX levers are often easily fixed by spraying liberal amounts of
PowerLube (available at finer auto parts stores everywhere, accept no
substitutes!) into them. Pull the lever back (engage the brake) and shoot
it into the hole the cable feeds into (it faces towards the outside of the
bike).

So it's time to buy some new shifters. I run a double on the front and
8sp on the back. I understand that if I buy new shifters and a 9sp
cassette, then I'll need a 9sp chain, a chain tool and the cassette
removal tool. Is that all I need? - if I do the job myself, that is.

That will probably do fine, although I've found that mixing the older RSX
front derailleur with a new shift lever (one with a trim function, which is
found in all 9-speed versions) doesn't work as well as it would with a newer
9-speed front derailleur.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

om...

Old November 4th 03, 09:32 AM
Ritch

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message .com...
[...]

Thanks for the info... I'm not sure that lubrication will help though.
The lever moves fine (without any restriction or clicking), but there
is no cable movement. The shifter has trim adjustment with tuning
knobs (for want of a better word) near the levers. I understand the
newer 9sp shifters have a trim function in the small lever - I'll give
it a go and see what happens. If I need to buy a new derailer then I
will (pooh!)

Cheers,
Ritch
Old November 4th 03, 02:09 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

rjlongmire- So it's time to buy some new shifters. I run a double on the
front and
8sp on the back. I understand that if I buy new shifters and a 9sp
cassette, then I'll need a 9sp chain, a chain tool and the cassette
removal tool. Is that all I need? - if I do the job myself, that is. BRBR

Or get Campagnolo 9s shifters, any Campagnolo rear der, shimano 9s cogset and
chain and never have to worry about 'dead' levers again, just overhaul them...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 4th 03, 09:01 PM
Steven Elliot Pav

On Tue, 3 Nov 2003, Ritch wrote:

PS. I should mention that the bike is a 98 Giant Peleton that came
equipped with Shimano RSX. Now the front STI shifter has died (pooh!)

i broke my RSX STI right hand (rear) lever a year ago. this was from a 99
bianchi. i was foolish enough to take it apart--there was a broken spring, but
it was on a rivet post. it would shift one way, but not the other, because the
spring could not keep the pawls pressed going one way (or something like that.)
i found the following schematic on the web:
http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin..._A416A.417.pdf
the part that i needed was the main `thing.' after talking to the sales
rep on the phone, i realized i needed part number 1 for the right hand.
(aka Y-6CB98010) my LBS was way cool about ordering me this part--it came
out to about 47 bucks (US) including shipping. it took a few hours, but i
got it back together. like a new STI it was a bit stiff at first, but is
very happy now (3000km later).

hth,

--sep

[[ i hate all boets and bainters -- king george i ]]
[[ steven.e.pav p:619.297.1674 www.andrew.cmu.edu/~spav ]]
[[ apm5763;mc0112;ucsd;la jolla.ca.92093.0112;858.534.2126;858.534.5273 ]]
[[ spindle weld nips ]]

Old November 5th 03, 05:01 AM
Bruce Graham

snip

Thanks for the info... I'm not sure that lubrication will help though.
The lever moves fine (without any restriction or clicking), but there
is no cable movement snip
Cheers,
Ritch

That sounds EXACTLY like your RSX shifter just needs a flush. I did my
98 model a few months ago after advice from here. It works perfectly
now. Probably a good idea to replace the cable and jacket at the same
time.

Bruce Graham