Which shoe?

Old February 16th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

Default Which shoe?

Good evening,

I have been wondering about which set of shoes that I should try,
next. I find it very unforunate that most cycling stores in the area
do not carry many different lines of shoes. Most of them carry one
brand or two brands. Many of the stores carry Sidi's.

I went through a big ordeal to get Sidi's on special order last year
since no one had the size.

I have not been happy with the sidi. I think that they are too narrow
on the sides.

My feet have been shrinking ever since the use of custom inserts. My
feet had been swollen prior to the inserts. My left foot used to be a
47.5

I am now looking for a stiff shoe for size 46. Of course I am looking
for one with 3hole mounts. I would like to try something other than
Sidi.

I am also interested in shoes with something other than the ratchet
system. I think that ratchets are a poor choice for people with high
arches. I do not think that you can ever get the shoes snug without
feeling pain on the top of the feet. Does anyone have experience with
something else out there?

thanks
bill
Old February 16th 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 16, 3:43 pm, Bill wrote:

I am also interested in shoes with something other than the ratchet
system. I think that ratchets are a poor choice for people with high
arches. I do not think that you can ever get the shoes snug without
feeling pain on the top of the feet. Does anyone have experience with
something else out there?

In my opinion--if the shoe fits well in the heel cup, heroic closure
systems are unnecessary. My last two pairs of shoes have been a
traditional lace closure, left loose enough to slip into, and the
current mtb set with three Velcro straps, also very loosely closed. I
never pull directly up in my stroke, more like down and then back. If
your pedaling style is similar--try wearing your shoes loose around
the arch.

Nashbar's having a Shimano shoe blowout right now, and many of their
models use a simple three Velcro strap closure system, allowing you to
snug up the front while keeping your arch happy.
Old February 16th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 16, 2:43*pm, Bill wrote:
[...]

Shoes should not be tight-tight, or they will hurt and
you'll get hot-foot on long rides. If you face a choice
between having your heels pull out and pain on
the top of the foot, your shoes don't fit.
The ratchet is just a different way of adjusting
the tightness (height, width) of the shoe. I have
high-ish arches and no problem with them, but I
also have long narrow feet.

You may have wide feet and need either the wide
(Mega) version of the Sidis, or a different brand. It's hard
for stores to stock a lot of pairs of shoes, especially in
extreme sizes. If you now need a 46 rather than a 47.5,
you may have more choices. It sounds like you
should really only consider shoes you can try on,
though. And try to talk to an LBS person with
experience.

Ben
Old February 17th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Did you try the special size Sidi calls 'Mega'? That is designed for wide
feet. I like mine very much, and I just bought another pair of Dominator 5
Mega for spring.

I wear size 49 in the winter (thicker socks), and size 48 in the summer.

J.

Old February 17th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

" wrote in message

You may have wide feet and need either the wide
(Mega) version of the Sidis, or a different brand. It's hard
for stores to stock a lot of pairs of shoes, especially in
extreme sizes. If you now need a 46 rather than a 47.5,
you may have more choices. It sounds like you
should really only consider shoes you can try on,
though. And try to talk to an LBS person with
experience.

Ben

I bought my current Sidi Dom5 Mega (size 49) from Performance Bike with
their 'ship to store' option. I am a PB member, so if the shoes need to be
returned, I don't pay return shipping. Other retailers do this, too. Perhaps
OP might want to consider this option.

I buy all my clothing online. I gave up on retail stores years ago, since I
am 6'4". I just focus on online shops which offer tall sizes.

I don't think finding a LBS sales person, who also knows shoes, is
realistic. Might happen, but not likely. In my case, I guessed too large on
my Dom5 megas (size 49). So they are now my winter shoes, for thick socks. I
am awaiting delivery on Dom5 megas (size 48) for summer wear.

J.

Old February 17th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 16, 3:43*pm, Bill wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing-- your Sidi's are 46? Sidi's are wider in half-sizes.
I had a pair of 45's; when my feet got larger I went to a 45-1/2. My
understanding is, the same last is used in half-sizes, but the shoe is
cut fuller.

I tried a pair of Megas before buying "normal" width. The toe and
instep area fit OK but my heel pulled out with straps and buckle
tightened for use. No good.

I've had foot problems at least partly caused by tight (too short,
too) shoes. The old cycling lore was "shoes had to be tight" for power
transmission or whatever. They don't; I keep the Sidi toe and instep
velcro closures loose because tight shoes quickly give me hurting
feet.

The foot is held in location in the shoe by the ankle strap, which it
does extremely well, preventing the toes from sliding forward and
pushing against the inside front of the shoe. Sidi's stretch a little
when they get warm, and the ratchet allows quick and "accurate"
adjustment on the fly.

I'm a heavy, somewhat g strong rider who rides with people mostly
faster than me. Loose shoes, at least instep/toes, with ankle strap
correctly tightened, are not any kind of problem for hard pedaling. My
feet are "bad" enough that I wear Crocs most of the time but the
Sidi's work very well for four-five hour rides (which are high effort
affairs for me).

I've seen Sidi boxes marked "Narrow" which makes me wonder if you
didn't somehow get a narrow pair that are uncomfortable.

In short, before you spend money, why not try a different arrangement
with strap and buckle tightness and see how that goes?
--D-y
Old February 17th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bigpipe

I have 12 2E runners, and I stick with specialized. They have the most room
for me. Their size 46 fits like a charm for me. Give them a try.
Everything else was too narrow.

Old February 17th 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 16, 7:47*pm, A Muzi wrote:
-snip-

wrote:
I've seen Sidi boxes marked "Narrow" which makes me wonder if you
didn't somehow get a narrow pair that are uncomfortable.

Look at the size marks on the tongue. Size followed by "N" is narrow,
"M" is wide. No suffix is medium width.

Thank you for your help.

The gist of my effort in this thread being to try to help someone else
with foot/shoe problems, "appreciated". Hurting feet, bad news.

Are the M's Mega? Or is Mega a separate iteration?
--D-y
Old February 17th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

-snip-

wrote:
Thank you for your help.
The gist of my effort in this thread being to try to help someone else
with foot/shoe problems, "appreciated". Hurting feet, bad news.
Are the M's Mega? Or is Mega a separate iteration?

Correct, the "M" on a wide shoe denotes "Mega" version

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

this shoe? zipper[_2_] Unicycling 8 December 19th 08 05:01 AM
Shoe Lifespan Enoch Unicycling 1 May 31st 08 03:38 AM
What shoe? D.M. Procida UK 20 October 11th 06 11:18 PM
Shoe sizes John Yarnton Australia 4 March 30th 04 04:20 AM
shoe type? unicycle_x Unicycling 16 March 19th 04 11:17 PM