Off-topic: Riding my pedicab home from BurningMan

Old March 24th 14, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Off-topic: Riding my pedicab home from BurningMan

I know this belongs in .rides, but whatever. This is a vid I took while riding my pedicab home from BurningMan a few yrs ago. Or rather, while trying. I only made it 70 miles in 5 days.
One thing I found is that a rikshaw, when loaded up with a car battery plus 200 lbs. of ice and water, will roll out fine on the level... and will -not- go uphill.

With the battery, laptop, iPod dock, and plenty of room for favorite clothes and blankets ... and a bench seat to hang out on with overhead shade... touring in this thing completely blows away all other touring experiences, in terms of comfort. Anytime you like you can plop right down on a sofa in the shade!! And without even getting off the bike.

On the downside, tho, it's too wide to be safe on most desert roads, which have about a 1" shoulder; you cannot push it if it has any load at all; the pinned cranks are miserable; it is a single-speed and the oversize BB shell will not accept a threaded BB; and heaven help you if your foot slips off the pedal and goes under the rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO5Che-ETGc

It was a fun trip if unsuccessful. 40K people leaving BM cheered me on; Hare-Krishnas prayed for me, and I had a great two days resting up and swimming in pyramid lake after. I got a few gifts of food, water, and jewelery, at turnouts, and think there would have been a whole lot more had there been anywhere for cars to pull over on the stretches between.

Travelling tho did not go quite as smoothly as I expected, at least, after the first day. There is a ten mile very gentle -almost imperceptible - grade out of Empire that took me two days to climb. In the process, on day 1 I ate all the meat and jerky I had brought. So the next four days I ate warm water and cheerios for breakfast, warm water and cheerios for lunch, warm water and cheerios for tea, and for dinner, warm water and cheerios.

I got up at dawn and traveled until 10 or 11 am when it got hot. At which point I curled up in the shade of the thing and slept until I awoke once an hour all sweaty, roasting in the sun, and moved into the shade, and repeated this until late it started cooling off... by which time there was only an hour or two left in which there was enough light to continue on the 1" wide shoulder. The red blinky on the back was useless.

Towards the end of the 5th day, 10 miles from the next town, Nixon, I lost all interest in everything whatsoever. Except roast beef and chicken sandwhiches, visions of which were floating in front of me. So I knew what the problem was. I actually had energy left, more than enuf to keep pedaling, just no interest. But I didn't want to give up and hadn't accepted that I would have to. I told myself "No prob, you don't have to give up, just hitchhike into town, buy all the meat they have, hitch a ride back, and resume.. No shame in that, and piece of cake."

At that time I was sitting on a milk crate in the mid-afternoon, in a very large turnout, 20-30 feet from the roadway, too far for motorists to see my thumb in time to slow down let alone stop. However, I was comfortable on the milk crate, and so apathetic that I didn't care to stand up, move 20 feet, and sit back down. It took me three half-hour periods of vegetating to do so, and a lot of insisting that by this logic, I will be a pile of bleached bones. I finally motivated myself to move the 20 feet, and a few minutes later, was in a pickup truck and in town 10 minutes after that.

I ate all the meat they had in the store, not counting canned chili and spam, and sat down out front and thought. In the 10 miles between where I was picked up and town had been a short steep hill - steeper than anything I had had to negotiate so far - and absolutely impossible to climb in the rig. As stated the rig cannot be pushed, with any load at all, give the way you have to contort your body from the side, and from the back, you can't steer. No way to get it up that hill.

So 20-30 minutes later when the same pickup rolled by again, I waved and ran over, and asked if he'd take me back to the rig and then haul it into town, and $30 and a half hour later I was back at the store with the cab. The gent's name was Birch, and the conversation was excellent.

I bought the canned chili, tortillas, onions and chips, reloaded the cooler with ice, water, fruity drinks, and a bottle of gin, then bought a 3-day permit to exist on the pyramid lake indian reservation, and pedaled the 4 miles to the lake. I swam, feasted, and sipped gin on ice.

The next day Birch came by. There is a little pier at the campsite, and he was doing his rounds, in the employ of the fish and game dept., checking for invasive quagga mussels in the traps at the end of the pier. Birch grew up there and I got to enjoy his conversation again, as he told me about the local mountains, his parents, and so on.

That night a rider on a harley came cruising up to my campsite, hopped off with a smile, introduced himself as Rick, and offered to help me drink the gin. Another great conversation took place as Rick told me about the locals, their superstitions, the mountains; and with reverence about the Shoshone, the arch-rivals of the Pyramid lake (Northern) Paiutes, who inhabit the valley to the East.

The next day I pedaled back to Nixon and sat and thought about what to do next. Just then a beautiful young redhead came walking towards me smiling and said "My gawd, I feel like I know you!!" Fannie was working for the company that puts on BurningMan, and during the three weeks it takes to tear down and clean up, she was driving back and forth to Reno hauling stuff. So had passed me many times. She also said she had mentioned me to her boss, who replied "I know - I'm monitoring that guy's progress!". When I learned that she was driving home to S.F. that night, I asked for a ride, and she agreed. So I bought another 3-day pass for the rickshaw, locked it to a pole behind the store, and 5 hours later was at her place in SF.

The next morning, I took a train to San Jose, a bus to my office, rode my kestrel 5 miles home, got in my truck, and went back and picked up the pedicab.

Obviously, I had a great time, and was more than a little touched by the warmth of many en route. The riding was fun and the scenery beautiful, and as stated the experience of touring in the comfort of the rig fascinated me and filled my head with plans. But it was the people I met along the way that made this tour the wonderful warm glowing memory that it is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDTCWRksUG4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loJxXJFiphI

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed it.

-dkl

Old March 24th 14, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, March 24, 2014 2:16:38 AM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

You can get adapters for oversize bottom bracket shells (like the 1 pc Ashabula cranks use) to convert to regular square taper cotterless cranks. I used a set on a adult BMX I converted to 21 speed trials type bike.

Cheers
Old March 24th 14, 10:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op maandag 24 maart 2014 07:16:38 UTC+1 schreef Doug Landau:
[...]

I definitely enjoyed reading it, but what were you thinking/expecting when you decided to start this expedition. Were you drunk?

Lou
Old March 24th 14, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

no, stopped CHOH abt 25 years ago.

data on wind n tide worked out 100% giving a to way trip across Florida Bay 90% perfect return to Flamingo from Long Key State Park at 25 miles/3.5 mph/12mph max.

In the middle, no land insight cruising on green sea reflecting flowing thin haze, the cold front now raining mounted great cumular pillars on the peninsula's end. Low 12' hi clouds like giant tadpoles drifted across the bow skimming the green water.

The front passed 12 miles from Flamingo. Skies and seas brightened to deep blue, deep green, with a fresh cool sea breeze off the Gulf, a new incoming tide floating us around Man o'War Key onto Johnson's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk-x0rfeOZM

winter's final. incroyable beautiful trip.
Old March 24th 14, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, March 24, 2014 3:42:58 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Haha I was thinking that:
a)I'd get a feel for what it was like for the pioneers to get their wagons over the Sierra,
and,
b)it'd be better than riding home in the truck with the person I went there with! :-D

Old March 24th 14, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

data on wind n tide worked out 100% giving a to way trip across Florida Bay 90% perfect return to Flamingo from Long Key State Park at 25 miles/3.5 mph/12mph max.

Hi Gene!!!

You still riding yer fifty-five hunnert? How many miles you got on it now?

Old March 24th 14, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Monday, March 24, 2014 1:32:41 PM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:
data on wind n tide worked out 100% giving a to way trip across Florida Bay 90% perfect return to Flamingo from Long Key State Park at 25 miles/3.5 mph/12mph max.

Hi Gene!!!

You still riding yer fifty-five hunnert? How many miles you got on it now?

???????????

5-5-0 ?

The Hand Cart People. We have tried variations on this desperation and felt the effects....that our usual muscle retraining does not include hand carts.

http://goo.gl/uJVnto

using a http://www.wescomfg.com/html/hand_tr...use_trucks.htm

on smooth concrete is ok for 2-3 miles.

local noise suggests the Bay time is in record area for a loaded sea kayak.

more equal to the task than the pedicab yet equable on in style.
Old March 24th 14, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

http://goo.gl/uJVnto

using a http://www.wescomfg.com/html/hand_tr...use_trucks.htm

more equal to the task than the pedicab yet equable on in style.

huh?!?!? in GVWR maybe, but where do u sit?
Old March 24th 14, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

550 is muh long lost Yamaha ? odd, there was mention of it this weekend from local noise at Flamingo

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_Flamingo.jpg

Georgia country traffic was minimal 1975...empty interstate...weekdays in the mntns ditto.

Today too much cross traffic for my riding if I had time. I'm based in south Florida n no way that's cycle country.

look up Immigrant Trail in the Sierra below Tahoe. MTB ?

Hand carts in that link doahn look effective...ura hauling cart not goods across country. Paintings lack backpack description.
Old March 25th 14, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Lou Holtman wrote:

:I definitely enjoyed reading it, but what were you thinking/expecting when you decided to start this expedition. Were you drunk?

Burning man, so a certain level of intoxication is implied.

--
sig 25

Two Afro-Caribeans Beat Up Young Blond Girl Riding Her Bicycle Home [email protected] General 7 July 12th 08 06:22 PM
PER - Riding home (south) Tuesday arvo Bugbear Australia 2 December 13th 06 02:19 AM
Burningman Unicyclists mscalisi Unicycling 12 September 12th 05 11:30 PM
Riding Home Just zis Guy, you know? UK 3 February 4th 04 01:59 PM
Riding home tonight DavidR UK 9 November 6th 03 03:01 PM