Fenders

Old May 13th 16, 10:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Fenders

I recently came across a company, "Full Metal Fenders (tm) who seem to
specialize in fenders for road bike. Their site documentation says
"700-23 and in some cases 700-25 tires". The interesting thing is that
they are apparently designing fenders to be used on the modern road
bike which has no attaching points for fenders."
https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fender...l-fenders-road

The attaching brackets mount to the brake attaching studs and to allow
maximum space under the brake they sort of cantilever out over the top
of the brake. To attach the fender braces they use a "eyelet" which is
a "figure eight" one end of which fits over the skewer, under the nut
or lever, and the smaller end has a 5mm hole to take the strut
attaching bolt.

I didn't buy any but I thought that they might be of interest to
someone. Their advertising literature describes them as "Made of
anodized aluminum and adorned with laser graphics and an embossed
alloy head badge, the Full Metal Fenders are a beautiful complement to
any road bike".

Oh yes. they seem to be made in Portland :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 13th 16, 12:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 11:54:59 AM UTC+2, John B. wrote:
[...]

Of course they are made in Portland. That is the only place you need permanent fenders on a road bike.

Lou
Old May 13th 16, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

Lou Holtman wrote:

John B. wrote:

[...]

Portland Oregon, really? That's not the only thing that makes it a
freaky place.
Old May 13th 16, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Lou Holtman:
Of course they are made in Portland. That is the only place you need permanent fenders on a road bike.

Only time I ever flew into Portland, I noticed a 9-year-old boy on the
plane clutching an umbrella.... and my recollection is that no
9-year-old kid in the entire world would be caught dead with an
umbrella.....except in the Pacific Northwest.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old May 13th 16, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 4:03:53 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Be jealous -- its sunny and warm, and we've had a number of record breaking high temperatures this month. The upside of global warming. Unfortunately, it will rain at least one day this weekend. Then its back to our usual spring weather pattern until July.

We have a bunch of fender makers in Portland -- plastic, wood and metal. Some of the metal fenders are nice, but they rattle if there is any problem with the attachment, and they are a nightmare in gravel. I prefer plastic -- and bikes with fender mounts.

I was riding last weekend with the usual crew, and we bumped into the guys from Sellwood Bikes which is a huge Kona dealer. The shop actually has enough clout to affect Kona's product offerings -- and they claim that they got Kona to put eyelets on their Jake CX bikes. Bike Gallery, the big Trek dealer, was also instrumental in the design of the now defunct Trek Portland, another good fender bike with discs. Yes, fenders are big here.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 13th 16, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/13/2016 6:58 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Lou Holtman:
Of course they are made in Portland. That is the only place you need permanent fenders on a road bike.

Only time I ever flew into Portland, I noticed a 9-year-old boy on the
plane clutching an umbrella.... and my recollection is that no
9-year-old kid in the entire world would be caught dead with an
umbrella.....except in the Pacific Northwest.

Actually, the /kids/ around here tend to avoid umbrellas, rain jackets,
and other weather-proofing. You see 'em walking in the rain in cotton
sweatshirts all the time. Or maybe it's just the teenagers/college
students that I'm thinking of. It's the immigrants from dryer climes
(myself included) who tend to carry umbrellas. That's my experience,
anyway.

I do have fenders on at least three road bikes, and the local /riders/
do tend to favor fenders. Just not the kids.

-Mark J, 50 miles south of Portland
Old May 13th 16, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 13 May 2016 09:58:42 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Only time I ever flew into Portland, I noticed a 9-year-old boy on the
plane clutching an umbrella.... and my recollection is that no
9-year-old kid in the entire world would be caught dead with an
umbrella.....except in the Pacific Northwest.

It's his parachute, in case he wants to exit the airplane in a hurry.
https://www.google.com/search?q=umbrella+parachute&tbm=isch
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 14th 16, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 13 May 2016 04:03:51 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I passed through Portland twice in my life. Both times it was
raining :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 14th 16, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 13 May 2016 07:32:42 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

[...]

Hmmm.... Average high temperatures in Portland, for May, is 20 degrees
(C)..... But average low temperatures is 9 degrees (C).
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...her-in-may.php
:-)

Old May 14th 16, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Of course they are made in Portland. That is the only place you need permanent fenders on a road bike.

Lou

Yes, I passed through Portland twice in my life. Both times it was
raining :-)

I take it neither of you guys have ever been to Ireland?

--
- Frank Krygowski

fenders... Nate Nagel[_2_] Techniques 13 May 27th 09 08:04 PM
fenders? phil Rides 4 July 18th 08 12:55 AM
why are there no fenders? Jon Bendtsen Recumbent Biking 3 May 4th 08 06:40 PM
Fenders chuck Recumbent Biking 3 December 22nd 06 11:21 PM
Fenders Where to buy Isuzu Marketplace 0 January 16th 05 01:37 PM