Standards; always room for one more!

Old December 22nd 17, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Standards; always room for one more!

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...heel-size.html

stiff sidewalls on fat tires improve traction on snow trails proves ?

always more gained with engineering tweaking

EG Schwalbes' more diameter roll grip in cracks leads where ?

Lighter conti sidewalls leads to grumbling

more ?

Old December 22nd 17, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 6:39:44 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:

BTW, GTF off the groomed snow trails with a bike. They are groomed for a reason, and its not for un-grooming them with a bike. I'm very conflicted when it comes to bikes on walking or skiing trails. I understand that resorts or parks need to jack up revenue and that bikes are less harmful than, say, horses -- but there is still value to a quiet trail where all you hear is footfalls or pole plants, singing birds, etc. No rattling fat bikes whipping by.

-- Jay Beattie.

Just don't accost them yourself, Jay. Remember what happened to Mike Vandeman, who was jailed by a conspiracy of perjured mountain bikers. See the comments on:
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/a...piece-of-work/
In addition, I imagine you'll be disbarred for being passionate about justice.

But I'm in no danger of wrecking anyone's skiing. We just don't get enough snow to feature in a cyclist's life more than a day or two in a year. Icy roads -- another few days a year -- are more likely to be runoff water frozen between hedges that keep the weak sun off them during the shortest days of the year. During the 'nineties and a few years into this century we cycled until the week before Christmas and shortly after New Year's were back on the road. Today the temp was 12C and at 2300hrs it is still 9C, not exactly indicative of a White Christmas.

Andre Jute
Bring back global warming!
Old December 23rd 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 3:01:27 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 6:39:44 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:

BTW, GTF off the groomed snow trails with a bike. They are groomed for a reason, and its not for un-grooming them with a bike. I'm very conflicted when it comes to bikes on walking or skiing trails. I understand that resorts or parks need to jack up revenue and that bikes are less harmful than, say, horses -- but there is still value to a quiet trail where all you hear is footfalls or pole plants, singing birds, etc. No rattling fat bikes whipping by.

-- Jay Beattie.

Just don't accost them yourself, Jay. Remember what happened to Mike Vandeman, who was jailed by a conspiracy of perjured mountain bikers. See the comments on:
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/a...piece-of-work/
In addition, I imagine you'll be disbarred for being passionate about justice.

No, I would just glower, and I don't bring up the subject much with my cohort. They're mostly ****ed off that so many trails are closed to bikes around here, but they're not big resort snow-riders. I don't know anyone who is a dedicated fat biker who wants to ride groomers at some Nordic or Alpine resort.

No snow so far in town, but it is slated for next week. I'm hoping to ride tomorrow with my son and then go skiing on Sunday. Not much snow in the mountains yet. I'll take my rock skis.

The only really interesting weather this year was freezing fog yesterday and ice-skating into work. Another foolish commute. I wore the wrong gloves, my hands froze, and when they thawed out, it felt like my fingers had been slammed in a car door. Time to switch to the fat gloves.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 23rd 17, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 10:15:51 PM UTC, wrote:
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...heel-size.html

I read that. I'm not sure any of it matters, except that it is easier to fit people with duck's disease to 27.5" wheel bikes.

stiff sidewalls on fat tires improve traction on snow trails proves ?

How can it prove anything if you start with an untruth?

always more gained with engineering tweaking

Sure. But development proceeds faster if you start with the correct science, in this case that the more easily deformable sidewall will keep more of the friction surface of the tyre attached to the road for longer.

EG Schwalbes' more diameter roll grip in cracks leads where ?

You're not making sense, Daniels. I don't know what it is you want to know. The advantage of the bigger radius tyre, the 29er, is that it rolls *over* cracks more easily than smaller tyres. That's the benefit of the attack angle advantage listed by REI.

Lighter conti sidewalls leads to grumbling

"Grumbling" from the sidewalls, from the customers? Schwalbe's soft sidewalls, once resticted to the more expensive Big Apple folders, now are no longer optional on the Big Apple line: you can take them across the line or buy another tyre. I've never had a sidewall-related problem on my Schwalbe in 10K of riding, and never heard of the soft sidewall giving anyone else bother.

I didn't get along with the Conti when I had them on an earlier bike: altogether too flat-prone.

more ?

More what? I've made my point.

Andre Jute
Development is the engineering process of turning a pig's ear into a race winner. -- Dakota Franklin
Old December 23rd 17, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/22/2017 7:28 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Once it drops below zero F, I like the sheepskin mittens
from US Sheepskin in Tacoma. Nothing like a piece of animal
turned inside out.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 23rd 17, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 10:02:55 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Meh. If that's so good, why don't the animals wear their skin that way? ;-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 23rd 17, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

2+.1=2.1

..1+2.1=1.9 !

Last I looked Schall were heavily made kinda imitating auto tires ..

$uccessful strategy

NOT 'in keeping' with trad bike devoted yet very supportive there of touring.
Old December 23rd 17, 11:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 7:54:40 AM UTC, wrote:

Last I looked Schall were heavily made kinda imitating auto tires ..

$uccessful strategy

NOT 'in keeping' with trad bike devoted yet very supportive there of touring.

Exactly. Because I ride touring bikes, I hang out mainly with tourers, and I can't actually name one who isn't on Schwalbe tyres... Roadies are irrelevant, except that so many designers still cling desperately onto their roadie background as a substitute for their lost youth. The delusion that they're still "fast", which of course is shared by their clientele, skews bike design quite disastrously and does more than even the likes of the execrable Krygowski to put Joe and Jane off cycling.

But of course you knew that already but wouldn't say so on RBT.

Andre Jute
If Americans want Dutch cycling numbers and attitudes and on-road security, roadies will have to learn to ride like the Dutch, at 10mph
Old December 23rd 17, 11:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Yup...sheepskins and vibram soled packs, layered polyester breathable clothing with a Gore jacket, ski mask

And it's lay in the snow n tan.

Or sit on the lift n sail down.

A slow walk down the snowy lane

But getting it right for splitting wood or downwind touring on your new schwalbees avoiding dead half eaten animals...a toughie

My sheepskins are pliable n comfy after 25 years in FL
Old December 24th 17, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 5:12:27 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[non team player comments removed]

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/12/20...up-against-26/

[sarcasm removed]

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

My 2000 Litespeed Obed 26" hardtail that was leading edge when new and still goes anywhere that its rider's level of skill (or lack thereof) can take it, rebuilt the Marzocchi Bomber front fork shocks a few years ago and just replaced the FSA bottom bracket that lasted 17 years before coughing up a bearing, and if the bike can't do it, its the rider, not the bike or the tire.
Same as my 2006 Giant TCR road bike and three sets of wheels must be obsolete because they don't have disc brakes, and the TT bike that was on Discovery Teams Blue Train in the 06 and 07 TDF needs replacing now because I'm losing 20 seconds on a 40k due to not having the brake calipers recessed, and my '92 Schwinn Paramount is too flexy compared to modern day carbon except how does your butt feel after 50 miles of backroad assfault on real steel compared to current carbon... but yes you can get a "tuned" carbon frame that might feel like the Paramount for only $2995 just for the bare frame except that I have to buy a new BB30 style bottom bracket instead of my old bulletproof Phil Wood, and now they're telling us grayhairs that all that's useless anyway because we must get an e-bike to make up for the 1% per year about age 40 that we're supposed to be slower by....
disclaimer: now here comes the free plug:
Safety equipment is the only area where its worth upgrading older items. Can anyone argue that an Oculus saves lives where older bike lights, and even what else is on the market today, still can't light up the road or trail as well?

Japanese standards AMuzi Techniques 1 November 25th 14 08:56 PM
Double standards at work. Simon Mason UK 19 March 6th 07 09:14 PM
Cantilever stud standards? Kendall Techniques 3 August 6th 06 08:15 PM
h*lm*t standards where's the web site? Bryan UK 5 August 18th 05 09:52 AM
Driving standards Tom UK 20 February 11th 04 12:36 AM