Corn and bicycling?

Old April 22nd 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

Default Corn and bicycling?

Hello,

On a dare, I'm writing an essay that tries to tie in bicycling with
corn. However, I'm unsure about how I want to approach this.

I emailed the following to Lacombe Corn Maze [http://
www.lacombecornmaze.com/] :

"Hello,

In a report I'm currently writing I'm trying to find a way to combine
the subjects of corn and mountain biking.

I could write about the health benefits corn has for cyclist. However,
when I found your website, I thought of a different idea:

Have you ever allowed mountain biking in the Lacombe Corn Maze? If so,
how did it work?"

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions on how I could go about doing
this.

Nothing is TOO INANE!

Thanks,
Cullen
Appleton, WI
Old April 22nd 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

wrote, On 4/22/2009 4:50 PM:
[...]

Cullen,
In recent years there has been a lot of discussion about the pros and
cons of switching from petroleum based fuels to biofuels. In particular,
ethanol made from corn.

Maybe you could do a paper on how much corn could be saved if a typical
car commuter started riding their bicycle to work.

Or, perhaps you can calculate how far a human can travel using a bicycle
when fueled by a ton of corn (in the form of corn muffin)s versus a car
fueled by a ton of corn that has been converted to ethanol.

Good luck!

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old April 23rd 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
max

In article ,
Paul O wrote:

wrote, On 4/22/2009 4:50 PM:
[...]

channel RAGBRAI. endless miles of corn. hypnotic and mind-numbing.

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.
Old April 23rd 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Victor Kan

On a dare, I'm writing an essay that tries to tie in bicycling with
corn. However, I'm unsure about how I want to approach this.

Here's a tangential tie in:

http://www.sunrisewd.com/products/sa...erbottles.html

Old April 23rd 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cully J

On Apr 22, 7:51*pm, "ZBicyclist" wrote:
wrote:
Hello,

On a dare, I'm writing an essay that tries to tie in bicycling
with
corn. However, I'm unsure about how I want to approach this.

There's a plus side to corn for cyclists. Corn fields provide
privacy for those moments when a port-a-potty is miles away. The
foliage of corn, while not the subject of popular story as much as
the Sears catalog is, is much more likely to be used for the
"finishing touches" these says than the Sears catalog is.

No other common crop works as well. Soybeans? Bah. Wheat? Alfalfa?
Green Beans? Certainly not. Sunflowers might suffice, but fields of
sunflowers are far less common in these parts than fields of corn.

In return, bicyclists can provide a supplementary source of moisture
and fertilizer to enhance the growth of corn. *That effect is
probably minimal, like most bicyclists' ecological footprint, but
could be crucial to a particular corn plant at a particular time.

This is exactly what I was looking for!

A corn field really is a great place to cut a whiz while on long,
country bike rides...

Thanks,
Cullen
Old April 23rd 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Paul O writes:

In recent years there has been a lot of discussion about the pros and
cons of switching from petroleum based fuels to biofuels. In particular,
ethanol made from corn.

There is an issue about devoting agricultural resources (including
real estate) toward vehicle fuel instead of human or livestock food,
and about using proprietory, gotcha-by-the-short-hairs, GMO seed
toward that aim.

Googling on keywords:
Monsanto Ethanol
will turn up some interesting URLs.

Maybe you could do a paper on how much corn could be saved if a typical
car commuter started riding their bicycle to work.

Or, perhaps you can calculate how far a human can travel using a bicycle
when fueled by a ton of corn (in the form of corn muffin)s

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey, don't forget about masa harina. Not only is it good for
making tortillas; crawdad tails that have been dredged in an
egg & masa harina mixture before frying, are lovely.

Actually, maize derivatives show up in a lot of surprisingly
unexpected foods and beverages. Flaked maize is a common
sweetening adjunct in certain beers, along with flaked rice.

IIRC, maize is a good source of dextrose, which is a little
more slowly metabolized than fructose or sucrose, thereby
allowing a rider to store sugar energy for longer.
Timing is everything.

versus a car
fueled by a ton of corn that has been converted to ethanol.

Leave the corn likker alone before freeriding. Save it
for apres-ride. Know your limits; play within it ;-)

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Old April 23rd 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"ZBicyclist" wrote: (clip) No other common crop works as well. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Let's not contribute to the confusion. The traditional corn item for this
use is the corn cob. I once had a box with a clear front, and three cobs
inside: two brown ones separated by a white one, The instructions read:
"Use a brown cob, followed by the white cob, to determine whether the other
brown cob is needed."

Old April 23rd 09, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"ZBicyclist" wrote: (clip) No other common crop works as well.
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Let's not contribute to the confusion. The traditional corn item
for
this use is the corn cob. I once had a box with a clear front,
and
three cobs inside: two brown ones separated by a white one, The
instructions read: "Use a brown cob, followed by the white cob, to
determine whether the other brown cob is needed."

Yes, the traditional item for domestic hygiene is the corn cob. But
that usually isn't available to the cyclist, who is outstanding in
his field while the corn is still immature. The traditional outhouse
corncob is a corncob that has already had the mature kernels used
for feed.

--
Mike Kruger
A face for radio, a voice for mime.

Old April 23rd 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ru4linux2

On Apr 22, 3:50*pm, " wrote:
[...]

I have heard a LOT of corny jokes, while on bike rides. :-)

Lewis.

*****

WTB: DeFeet Corn Star socks res09c5t Marketplace 0 March 24th 06 10:26 PM
tools corn skewers [email protected] Techniques 3 November 7th 05 04:12 PM
Bicycling in 45 to 50F Bill General 25 October 1st 05 06:25 PM
Bicycling in 57F Bill Henry General 7 September 11th 05 03:47 AM
Think about it while bicycling arabqueen General 0 June 12th 05 12:10 AM