Cool vintage lowracer plans at ebay---anyone know this design?

Old July 22nd 05, 01:25 PM

Default Cool vintage lowracer plans at ebay---anyone know this design?

Check out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7170790470. Nice
swimsuit photo, too! : )

Old July 22nd 05, 03:30 PM
Stonegrift

What you are looking at is someone selling the plans from the 1969
Popular Mechanics of Ridly's Ground Hugger. You can order the plans
direct from the designer at http://www.rqriley.com/bike.html

Old July 22nd 05, 04:44 PM
Jeff Grippe

I've wondered about this. What this guy is doing has got to be a violation
of someone's copyright, no?

Old July 23rd 05, 07:04 AM
Stonegrift

Well to some extent it is. but the plans had been published in Popular
Mechanic. Which means you could have em if you bought the magazine but
you'd not get any of the support that Ridly gives. What there is of
it. I don't picture myself as a lawyer. so I can't say. It's been a
long time. I think that someone saw Ridley's page and figured to get
in on the deal.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:44:50 -0400, "Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote:

I've wondered about this. What this guy is doing has got to be a violation
of someone's copyright, no?

.. .

Old July 23rd 05, 02:57 PM
HHS

"Stonegrift" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:44:50 -0400, "Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote:

I've wondered about this. What this guy is doing has got to be a violation
of someone's copyright, no?

Well to some extent it is. but the plans had been published in Popular
Mechanic. Which means you could have em if you bought the magazine but
you'd not get any of the support that Ridly gives. What there is of
it. I don't picture myself as a lawyer. so I can't say. It's been a
long time. I think that someone saw Ridley's page and figured to get
in on the deal.

I don't think you need to be a lawyer to know that Riley (not Ridley)
wouldn't want to get involved in an international law suit to stop this guy
from selling his ancient plans on eBay for three bucks or so.

Despite the bike's appealing lines there have been very few built over the
past 40 years. The universal joint steering is a real problem, at least
according to Longbikes after they gave it a try on their Slipstream model.
The only ride report I've seen on this bike claimed the riding position was
uncomfortable.

Old August 5th 05, 06:02 AM
calculus

Look at the riding position. I predict .... PAIN!

Recumbutt coming at ya!