The winking out of consciousness

Old January 28th 04, 03:45 AM
Claire Petersky

Default The winking out of consciousness

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
"Don Quijote" wrote in message
om...
"Pete" wrote in message

"Don Quijote" wrote

What will we see first, a man on Mars
or a man riding his bicycle safely on the street?

well...since the second has been happening for over a century, I guess
there's your answer.

You lose. I said "safely"...

Heck, I did it just on my way home from work today. How safe do you want

it?

In this other thread, quoted, I wrote the line above. Later, I was thinking
first that part of my ride home on the street was changing lanes from the #4
lane to the #2 lane, on a busy suburban arterial in front of a shopping
center, such that I could take the outer of the two left-turn lanes and turn
on to another street, and perhaps some would not consider such a maneuver
safe.

Then I realized that, since I have done this multiple lane change so many
times, that I really had no recollection of making it. I could remember the
four, and I have to go from the shoulder to the #3 lane (#4 is right-turn
only). But I didn't even remember then sitting at the light, really.

I also could recall, after I had made the lane change over to the #2 lane to
make the left, getting a green immediately, and pedaling through the
intersection, without having to unclip, a fairly rare occurrence.

After realizing all of this, I began to wonder what, if any, of the ride I
really could remember. So then, I mentally reviewed the whole PM commute
home, and came to several conclusions:

o There are huge whole stretches where I have no memory of the ride. I
wonder if it's in part because I took probably the most familiar route home
in every respect -- no part of it was a section that was relatively new or
unusual.
o I specifically remember things where there have been experiences of
physical pain or fear in the past. For example, I can remember very
specifically riding to avoid a pothole that has been very jarring in the
past when I haven't gone around it. (The first time I rode over it
unexpectedly in the dark - oy!)
o I remember shifting my gears only once, but the ride is hilly, so I must
have been shifting them all the time. Funny how automatic that process is!
o Natural phenomena only struck me when it was unusual -- for example, a
tree full of cacophonous red-wing blackbirds sticks in my mind.
o Motor vehicle traffic volumes don't seem to be a factor in whether or not
I remember a portion of the ride -- only if the motorist was noticeably
inept.
o Pedestrians made a section memorable, though -- if there was someone
walking along, then I remembered that part of the ride.
o There's one part where I often ride no-handed. I can't remember at all if
I rode no-handed there or not. Because there was two pedestrians before that
part, I remember thinking, "oh, after I make the turn, I will be no handed".
But was I? I have not a clue.

Ironically, if I had any focus word or phrase for the ride, it was "sh'ma",
or "listen". But was I listening? Was I awake? No way!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
My bookshelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Cpetersky

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

Old January 28th 04, 06:58 AM
Eric S. Sande

Ironically, if I had any focus word or phrase for the ride, it was
"sh'ma", or "listen". But was I listening? Was I awake? No way!

Cold weather does strange things to consciousness. One of the
milestones on my commute is the All Nippon Airways office, it's
just so placed that when I pass it I always think, "All Nippon,
all the time." Stupid, I know. But it's a focal point, just before
I hit the left turn and "hill" on 15th Street.

If I'm too zoned out to notice it I take it as a warning that I'm
too far into my ride and not alert enough.

If I missed that little ritual, though, how would I know I didn't
do it?

Habit, which is a bad trait among commuters.

--

------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------