For my own amusement

Old June 25th 07, 10:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Default For my own amusement

This has probably been done many times before, but I'm going to do a
"break-even or bust!" experiment with a sub-$100 Big-W commuter bike.

Here's the home page of the attempt, if you're the type who enjoys
watching other people doing odd things for no apparent reason:

http://www.smallsolar.org/BTH/budgetbike/index.htm

Hopefully I'll be able to do the first commuting run on Friday, my
right knee suffered pretty badly during Saturday's experiment with
downhill skiing. :-(

BTH
(PS: No, I am NOT seeking sponsorship. My wife would probably be
pleased to receive a few messages of sympathy though).

Old June 25th 07, 11:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Brendo

On Jun 25, 5:18 pm, BT Humble wrote:
This has probably been done many times before, but I'm going to do a
"break-even or bust!" experiment with a sub-$100 Big-W commuter bike.

Here's the home page of the attempt, if you're the type who enjoys
watching other people doing odd things for no apparent reason:

http://www.smallsolar.org/BTH/budgetbike/index.htm

Hopefully I'll be able to do the first commuting run on Friday, my
right knee suffered pretty badly during Saturday's experiment with
downhill skiing. :-(

BTH
(PS: No, I am NOT seeking sponsorship. My wife would probably be
pleased to receive a few messages of sympathy though).

Interesting. It will be interesting to see how the $$ add up. Will you
do the same on a $5k bike in the name of research as well?

Brendo

Old June 25th 07, 12:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"BT Humble" wrote in message
ups.com...
This has probably been done many times before, but I'm going to do a
"break-even or bust!" experiment with a sub-$100 Big-W commuter bike.

Here's the home page of the attempt, if you're the type who enjoys
watching other people doing odd things for no apparent reason:

Did you see the guys at one of the 24hr races a couple of years ago. Two
teams of four mates in each team (from memory) bought bikes from K-mart or
Toys R Us for the race and had them sitting at the start line still in the
box. The first guy from each team had to assemble the bike (using only a
shifter) before then starting the race. From memory they were both dodgy
looking dual suspension mtbs but I think they made it through the
race........great concept......**** funny!!!

Too bad you don't live in Melbourne......it is $9.20 per day for a zone 1 +
2 rail ticket......bike would pay for itself in a couple of weeks. Even
better if I drive in.....it is about 18km or so each way which is probably 2
litres of petrol (about $5 all up) and it is $6 per day for on street
parking. How can anyone afford not to ride???

All you have to do is replace the parts as they wear out with decent ones
and if you can manage to crack the frame and break the forks one day you
might end up with a nice ride........sorta like Grandpa's Axe.

Good luck and hope you are back on the bike soon.

Gags

Old June 25th 07, 12:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:18:54 -0700, BT Humble wrote:

This has probably been done many times before, but I'm going to do a
"break-even or bust!" experiment with a sub-$100 Big-W commuter bike.

How far are you going? Canberra has the advantage that it can be
relatively flat (though also relatively unflat!), which reduces the peak
load on bits. I'm also assuming you've got a bit of knowledge regarding
basic set up and maintenance which will improve the longevity of
components. Still, a worthy experiment.

But I got 18 months commuting out of $8, so I'm happy with my
inherited/bodged singlespeed. (It's still going, but I'm probably going to
be going a bit further afield so it'll be demoted to station bike duties).

--
Dave Hughes |
We're standing there pounding a dead parrot on the counter, and the
Old June 25th 07, 12:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_147_]

I put a similar idea to the BV forum a few months back. $$++ from an
unrelated bike accident, and looking at those plastic levers, I've
re-thought the idea... I'd be really pi**ed if my obituary read "He
died doing what he loved, on a Kmart bike"

Keep us updated on the decomposition process!

--
gplama

Old June 25th 07, 12:50 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_283_]

gplama Wrote:
Keep us updated on the decomposition process!

More like metal fatigue issues and/or catastrophic failure.

--
cfsmtb

Old June 25th 07, 12:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tex

"BT Humble" wrote in message
ups.com...
This has probably been done many times before, but I'm going to do a
"break-even or bust!" experiment with a sub-$100 Big-W commuter bike.

Here's the home page of the attempt, if you're the type who enjoys
watching other people doing odd things for no apparent reason:

http://www.smallsolar.org/BTH/budgetbike/index.htm

Hopefully I'll be able to do the first commuting run on Friday, my
right knee suffered pretty badly during Saturday's experiment with
downhill skiing. :-(

BTH
(PS: No, I am NOT seeking sponsorship. My wife would probably be
pleased to receive a few messages of sympathy though).

Definitely needs a Rohloff and and Schlumpf. You'll increase the value of
the bike forty-fold!

Hmmmm, If I buy myself a $10 junk frame from the dump, maybe we could have a
"pimp my **** bike" contest

Old June 25th 07, 11:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Brendo wrote:
On Jun 25, 5:18 pm,BTHumble wrote:
(PS: No, I am NOT seeking sponsorship. My wife would probably be
pleased to receive a few messages of sympathy though).

Interesting. It will be interesting to see how the $$ add up. Will you
do the same on a $5k bike in the name of research as well?

Heh! OK, for *that* one I'd be looking for sponsorship! ;-)

BTH

Old June 25th 07, 11:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Tex wrote:
Hmmmm, If I buy myself a $10 junk frame from the dump, maybe we could have a
"pimp my **** bike" contest

LED valve caps would be a good start! ;-)

BTH

Old June 26th 07, 12:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Dave wrote:
How far are you going? Canberra has the advantage that it can be
relatively flat (though also relatively unflat!), which reduces the peak
load on bits. I'm also assuming you've got a bit of knowledge regarding
basic set up and maintenance which will improve the longevity of
components. Still, a worthy experiment.

16km each way. Not much by some standards, but good enough for me.

But I got 18 months commuting out of $8, so I'm happy with my
inherited/bodged singlespeed. (It's still going, but I'm probably going to
be going a bit further afield so it'll be demoted to station bike duties).

Hmm. You fixie people are a bit weird in my book, but then the
feeling is probably mutual. ;-)

BTH

FA: Old Photo AMUSEMENT PARK Roller COASTER BALLOON RARE avp Rides 0 May 12th 07 01:53 AM
rural amusement asterope Australia 27 October 12th 06 01:25 AM
Curiosity and amusement: a Poll oldhickory Racing 1 August 10th 06 02:22 PM
Amusement Park Unicyclist? The_SkunkMan Unicycling 12 August 22nd 04 12:16 AM