Replacement sealed bearings... for Wellgo sealed axles.. (e.g. 24 Butterflies, Mags)

Old October 28th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

Default Replacement sealed bearings... for Wellgo sealed axles.. (e.g. 24 Butterflies, Mags)

Hey, i've been getting sick of my Primos slipping out on me whenever I'm
doing trials, so I am looking into borrowing a pair of NS Leg Eater
pedals, which are damn grippy.

But, there is one hickup... the left pedal of that pair suffers from
the common 24 butterfly problem, where the bearing seems to commit
suicide and immense amounts of wobble start happening, and then the
body falls off the axle...

Does anyone know where to replacement sealed bearings for these? I know
that all of these pedals' spindles are all made by Wellgo: Try-All
Magnesium, 24 Butterfly, NS Leg Eater, Gusset SlimJim, and more... So,
would anyone know where to buy them directly? Could UDC (UK) possibly
get some in? I'll have to ask Roger later, but yeah, is there no other
quick-fix that'll do the job temporarily?

Any help'd be good,
Thanks.

--
Sponge

MSN: feel free to add

*"Bikes are made to do trials, unis aren't."- Joe Hodges*

*'TRITON SPONGE' (
http://tinyurl.com/2r7jk6)*
-Titanium frames, available in 19", 24", 26", 29", 36"-
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The UniSLAB

Try 'these' (http://www.danscomp.com/465197.php?cat=PARTS) maybe? They
look grippy and never hear anything bad about them.

--
The UniSLAB
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

No, that's not the point mate,

I don't want to buy new pedals, I simply want to get replacement
bearings... that's the whole point of this topic. NS Leg Eaters are
amazing, and I'd rather repair a set with new bearings than buy a whole
new pair of pedals.

But, those Drive pedals do look OK, i've seen 'em before, but meh, they
all have the same ****ty axles made by Wellgo... ergh.

Old October 28th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The UniSLAB

My bad. Sorry I don't really know where to get different bearings. I'm
sure if you get the size you could just google it or something. But
maybe not, I'm just guessing.

--
The UniSLAB
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

No worries mate, I'm really also wondering where that website was that
had all the Wellgo models listed... it was like some sort of official
site for Wellgo pedals, but it is -damn hard- to find on google.

Old October 28th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

The bearing size used in the Wellgo pedals I have a
13mm OD, 6mm ID, 5mm wide

The bearing number is 686-ZZ (ZZ means metal shields on both sides of
the bearing). 686-2RS would be two rubber shields.

You can find rolls of 10 of those bearings on eBay. For example 'this
auction' (http://tinyurl.com/yo6n3g). I would suspect you should be
able to find a similar auction in the UK or EU.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 28th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

Ah thanks John, that's awesome!

Do you know if Wellgo keep the same style of bearing on all of their
sealed pedals?

[image:
http://www.bike-mailorder.de/shop/im...es/5654_0.jpg]

These are the pedals I'm borrowing off a friend, it's just his left
pedal that has fallen off the axle, well, we are -assuming- that the
axle is a Wellgo one because no other sealed axles fail so
catastrophically and they look similar to Butterfly's axles too...

Old October 28th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Sponge wrote:
Ah thanks John, that's awesome!

Do you know if Wellgo keep the same style of bearing on all of their
pedals?

There is a very good chance that the bearing size is the same. It's a
common size used for pedal bearings for many brands of pedals.

Old October 28th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

excellent, I'll have my Primo Balance and Gusset Slimjims to steal
bearings off then... hope it works... Well, do you find that replacing
the bearing does the trick? Does anything else need replacing like
bushings maybe?

Old October 28th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Sponge wrote:
excellent, I'll have my Primo Balance and Gusset Slimjims to steal
bearings off then... hope it works... Well, do you find that replacing
the bearing does the trick? Does anything else need replacing like
bushings maybe?

Grease for the bushings is helpful. Depending on the pedal design you
may also find that replacing the o-ring seal can also stop some play in
the pedal. You can find generic general purpose rubber o-rings at well
stocked hardware stores (at least in the US). You'll have to
experiment with finding the right size. Buy several in sizes that look
about right and see what size works best.

Sealed wheel bearings FB Techniques 4 July 26th 07 02:49 AM
WTB: Mavic Axle and Sealed hub Bearings mike Marketplace 0 December 3rd 06 12:24 AM
How To Re-Grease Sealed Bearings? (PeteCresswell) Techniques 17 November 14th 06 01:14 AM
8 Speed Rear Hub w/ Sealed Bearings Alun Thomas Techniques 4 September 4th 04 06:13 AM