King Cage - Bottle Cage Failures

Old February 27th 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default King Cage - Bottle Cage Failures

On Feb 25, 9:33*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

A while back I put 2 King Cage (www.kingcage.com) stainless steel
watter bottle cages on my regular road bike. About a month ago on a
ride the seat tube cage broke at the bottom mounting bracket weld. Now
inspecting the other cage it is about to fail as well in the same
manner. Looks like metal fatigue.

Have any of you seen this before? Other than the durability issue
these seem to be nice cages.

Are there any other stainless steel cages that are more durable?

Thanks,

Steve

****can those King cages and get yerself summa thoze Nitto "R" cages
that are shaped like an hourglass. I'll bet that one of those gems
has never failed in real-life. Sure, they're pricey compared to other
non-CFRP cages but there prolly ain't a more beautiful and functional
piece of bike crap in the whole world. Plus which, they really aren't
that expensive compared to the CFRP ones that most idiots buy today.
Old February 28th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
wrote:

****can those King cages and get yerself summa thoze Nitto "R" cages
that are shaped like an hourglass. I'll bet that one of those gems
has never failed in real-life. Sure, they're pricey compared to other
non-CFRP cages but there prolly ain't a more beautiful and functional
piece of bike crap in the whole world. Plus which, they really aren't
that expensive compared to the CFRP ones that most idiots buy today.

I think that anyone that spends $50 on a Nitto cage is as equally
idiotic as someone that buys a carbon fiber cage.

Actually there are some reasons to buy a non-metal cage, but an
injection molded fiberglas reinforced nylon cage is sufficient if you
want to carry something like a steel vacuum bottle or steel vacuum
commuter cup. The Profile Kage from Profile Design costs $3.49 at
PricePoint, "http://tinyurl.com/profilekage".

They also have a stainless steel cage,
"http://tinyurl.com/settestainlesscage"

You know that there is no recession as long as people are buying $50
water bottle cages.

What is the strongest cage on the market?

When I lay my lowracer down on the non drive side, it rests on the cage,
so I tend to break them frequently.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old February 28th 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Tom Sherman wrote:

What is the strongest cage on the market?

Unknown. Based on looking at the construction quality, I'd say the Forte
Performance Terra Lite Stainless MTB Cage is one of the strongest.
Better design than the King Cages in terms of how the mounting plate is
welded to the tubing.

When I lay my lowracer down on the non drive side, it rests on the cage,
so I tend to break them frequently.

The solution isn't a stronger cage, which will transfer the force to the
braze-ons and damage the frame, especially if it's an aluminum frame
with Rivnuts.

I'd buy a set of
"http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB=%273242-00%27"
and mount them snug, but not so tight that they can't rotate around the
tube (assuming it's round tubing!).

I use these on one of my folding bikes where it's necessary to rotate
the cage out the way when folding the bike.
Old February 28th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Carl Sundquist

wrote:

[...]

Where is ShelBroCo when you need them?
Old February 28th 09, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

wrote:

[...]

I think he had a concrete cage to go with the concrete seat.
Old February 28th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 27, 1:27*pm, SMS wrote:

I think that anyone that spends $50 on a Nitto cage is as equally
idiotic as someone that buys a carbon fiber cage.

Not equal at all. Nitto = beauty = Idiot with class. CFRP = hideous
= Idiot that is trying hard to become a moron. I got my Nittos when
they were only $38 and when my 401K was going to let me retire before
I turned 85.

You know that there is no recession as long as people are buying $50
water bottle cages.

Or $900 cranksets or $500 brake calipers or $5000 plastic frames or
$2000 wheels or {insert yer favorite overpriced bike gewgaw here}.
Old February 28th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Clive George

wrote in message

Or $900 cranksets or $500 brake calipers or $5000 plastic frames or
$2000 wheels or {insert yer favorite overpriced bike gewgaw here}.

Just saw this one the other day -

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Li...ur/5360040339/

Old February 28th 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Carl Sundquist

http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=254

http://www.b-t-p.de/B-T-P_Team/b-t-p_team1.html
Old February 28th 09, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Nicholas Grieco

On Feb 27, 3:52*pm, SMS wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]

The TwoFish stainless 'quick cage' is a nice solution:
http://www.twofish.biz/bike.html