Fastening rear bike packs/racks?

Old May 1st 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default Fastening rear bike packs/racks?

dgk wrote:

He came down a bit and I bought the rack and pack. I took me about 20
minutes to get it installed and so far I love it. The pack just slips
right on, and is very sturdy.

Most shops are willing to negotiate a bit on accessories and clothing
since the margins are so high, but not so much on bicycles themselves.

My rule of thumb is that I'll gladly pay an extra 20% to buy locally,
but most of the stuff I buy is esoteric enough that buying locally
usually isn't an option.
Old May 1st 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DanKMTB

On Apr 30, 9:03*pm, SMS wrote:
dgk wrote:
He came down a bit and I bought the rack and pack. I took me about 20
minutes to get it installed and so far I love it. The pack just slips
right on, and is very sturdy.

Most shops are willing to negotiate a bit on accessories and clothing
since the margins are so high, but not so much on bicycles themselves.

My rule of thumb is that I'll gladly pay an extra 20% to buy locally,
but most of the stuff I buy is esoteric enough that buying locally
usually isn't an option.

That's wierd. I've paid retail for every accessory I've purchased,
save for the water bottle and cage I got them to throw in with a new
bike purchase. However, I paid WAY under what was on the sticker for
the bike.
Old May 2nd 09, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

DanKMTB wrote:
On Apr 30, 9:03 pm, SMS wrote:
dgk wrote:
He came down a bit and I bought the rack and pack. I took me about 20
minutes to get it installed and so far I love it. The pack just slips
right on, and is very sturdy.

Most shops are willing to negotiate a bit on accessories and clothing
since the margins are so high, but not so much on bicycles themselves.

My rule of thumb is that I'll gladly pay an extra 20% to buy locally,
but most of the stuff I buy is esoteric enough that buying locally
usually isn't an option.

That's wierd. I've paid retail for every accessory I've purchased,
save for the water bottle and cage I got them to throw in with a new
bike purchase. However, I paid WAY under what was on the sticker for
the bike.

I've purchased nearly all my bicycles on sale or direct from the
manufacturer, so the "MSRP" was not what I paid, but the price didn't
require negotiation. I tried to negotiate on one purchase, just down to
the price another shop was charging, and I got a long lecture about how
much worse the other shop's assembly was (this was after the same owner
was complaining to me that his employee had messed up the assembly of
the bicycle I was test riding). That shop is now gone!

Are Speedhubs incompatible with rear racks? Duncan Smith UK 14 March 13th 08 08:25 PM
Long rear racks SMS General 8 April 25th 07 04:44 PM
Q: which rear racks would fit this rear geometry? C.J.Patten General 3 June 20th 05 10:13 PM
Q: which rear racks would fit this rear geometry? C.J.Patten UK 3 June 20th 05 10:13 PM
Fitting lights to rear racks Clifford Griffiths UK 22 September 29th 03 09:13 AM