how come unicyclists are so good about wearing helmets?

Old February 23rd 04, 01:35 AM
kristopher_peck

Default how come unicyclists are so good about wearing helmets?

weird trend

and the "extreme sports" such as skateboarding, BMX, rollerblading, etc
where a helmet is actually useful, no one wears em!

--
kristopher_peck - 007

"Where's the rest of your unicycle?"

kristopher_peck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5619

Old February 23rd 04, 02:02 AM
James_Potter

I agree. When you fall off a uni, you generally land on your feet. I
know that my helmet's never actually been needed, even though I always
wear it. But in skateboarding, Most people don't wear any protective
gear and they need it the most.
Weird.

--
James_Potter - OFFICIAL POSTER #1078

-When life gives you lemons, make grape juice. Then sit back and watch
the world try to figure out how you did it.-

Old February 23rd 04, 02:08 AM
sockmonster

My helmet's more for style. It's a hot pink agressive skate helmet I got
for a dollar.

The only protective gear I think is really necessary when unicycling is
a pair of gloves. I found that one out pretty quick...

--
sockmonster - One Wheeled Warrior

Funny how in this forum, no one thinks it's weird if someone says, "I
tacoed my giraffe..."
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

Old February 23rd 04, 02:19 AM
onewheeldave

kristopher_peck wrote:
*weird trend

and the "extreme sports" such as skateboarding, BMX, rollerblading,
etc where a helmet is actually useful, no one wears em! *

Even though it's rare to hit your head from a uni fall, if it does
happen it can ruin your life.

Also, if riding on roads a helmet is as importany as if you were on a
bike, as a car impact leaves you with no control as to how you land.

I think part of the reason BMX-ers/skaters tend not to wear helmets is
because there used to be an attitude that it was uncool. As many who get
into those sports are quite young, they're susceptible to peer
pressure/fashion.

Unicyclists tend to be older, with more realistic understanding of
safety issues. As a new sport, I feel that it's learnt somewhat from
those that came before, and many of those who have helped it grow have
cultivated a responsible attitude towards safety equipment.

I think it's also becoming more popular in skating/BMX-ing, with
compulsory helmets etc in competition. People have died doing these
sports because they didn't have helmets, and I think that it's filtering
through to the masses.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Old February 23rd 04, 02:25 AM
James_Potter

onewheeldave wrote:
*
Even though it's rare to hit your head from a uni fall, if it does
happen it can ruin your life.
*

One time when MUniing my friend was going down a very steep hill. It was
probably about a 70 degree slope He fell forwards about 4-5 feet from
the bottm and hit his head *hard* on the street below. He was wearing a
helmet, but it cracked and he probably would have gotten at least a
concussion if he wasn't wearing it.
That was enough to convince me to always wear one.

Old February 23rd 04, 02:30 AM
Tom Holub

In article cyclist.com,
onewheeldave .com wrote:
)
)Even though it's rare to hit your head from a uni fall, if it does
)happen it can ruin your life.
)
)Also, if riding on roads a helmet is as importany as if you were on a
)bike, as a car impact leaves you with no control as to how you land.

And of course, this also applies to crossing roads or driveways as a
pedestrian.
-Tom
Old February 23rd 04, 02:37 AM
newtouni

As a beginner dufus, I think the most important piece of safety gear is
shin gaurds. Strange, but none of the FAQs mention this that I recall.
They talk about helmets, gloves, wrist guards; but no shin guards.

My shins were not happy until I got some guards.

Newtouni

--
newtouni

Everything is a progression...
newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465

Old February 23rd 04, 04:42 AM
TheBadger587

i dont currently wear a helmet, but i am definitely going to buy one
when i start doing drops/challenging MUni

if you eat it while going down a steep slope/stairs, it's a lot harder
to land on your feet that regular street unicycling.

--
TheBadger587
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

Old February 23rd 04, 04:50 AM
muniracer

much of it is the consensual image of how unicyclists want to present
the sport. since trials biking, skateboarding, etc. has pretty much
been forbidden in public places by the law, we hope to extend our legal
limits by appearing to be responsible. especially when doing trials or
muni, we want people to not think us to be a danger to them, ourselves,
or society.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

www.hellonwheel.cjb.net
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old February 23rd 04, 05:00 AM
paco

I don't know about anyone else, but when I put on all my safety
equipment, I feel like I look more extreme. That's the image I want to
portray when doing MUni, so I try and look the part. I feel I'm a
better ambassador to the sport of MUni when I put on enough equipment so
people think that it's a respectable sport and not some weird offshoot
of a clown hobby.

In case anyone is keeping track, I'll defend my right to ride a unicycle
while clowning and think the two go very good together, but think that
MUni is a completely different activity, like a clown riding a minibike
and a harcore mountain biker are different. I would never wear all my
leg armor while clowning, because it's a completely different genre.

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Give me apathy, or...
oh, whatever.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Helmets randonneur Unicycling 59 December 27th 06 01:42 PM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
What makes a good cycling guest/host? (long) Perry Recumbent Biking 17 January 12th 04 01:16 AM