1000 uses for old tubes

Old February 15th 08, 10:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dinsdale Pirana

Default 1000 uses for old tubes

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:10:51 -0800 (PST), Graeme Dods
wrote in aus.bicycle:

-Hinges
-Catapult elastic
-Flap valves
-Washers
-Blister kit (combined with superglue, it worked, but not one I'd try
again in a hurry)
-sliced into rings as tyres for Lego toys (loooong ago)
-probably many, many others too

They're crap for any real elastic use because inner tubes are no
longer made of rubber and don't seem to have much elasticity. So
Catapults are out which is a pity.

Regards
Harold

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius
Old February 15th 08, 11:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"Ted Linnell" wrote:

Around the handle bar, to slip over the brake lever to hold the brake
on, usefull when on the train to stop the bike rolling about.

Yes, friends of mine do this. However I prefer an 'old school' toe-strap,
more positive and will not fail due to weathering and sun.

Great to have a hand-brake, with this on I can happily leave my bike
standing on it's kickstand in the train. It won't roll nor move, despite the
carriage's rocking.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old February 17th 08, 02:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

wrote in aus.bicycle:

-Hinges
-Catapult elastic
-Flap valves
-Washers
-Blister kit (combined with superglue, it worked, but not one I'd try
again in a hurry)
-sliced into rings as tyres for Lego toys (loooong ago)
-probably many, many others too

They're crap for any real elastic use because inner tubes are no
longer made of rubber and don't seem to have much elasticity. So
Catapults are out which is a pity.

It was a while ago and may even have been from my dad's old delivery
bike, which could add another decade or three on to the age of the
tube. Apparently I am too old for catapults these days (or so my wife
tells me), probably just as well as I've since discovered that the
type of catapult I used to have is illegal in Australia (just because
it had a nice wee wrist support on it).

Graeme

1000+ unicycles iridemymuni Unicycling 0 January 18th 07 11:40 PM
self sealing tubes HD commuting touring tubes patch glue knee how ma [email protected] Techniques 5 February 8th 06 02:37 AM
Gluing tubes to tubes Ted Techniques 12 January 31st 05 09:43 PM
Trek 1000 Sojourn100 Australia 1 July 30th 04 12:47 AM
£1000 / $1000 to spend on new bike.. Calz Mountain Biking 4 September 10th 03 08:48 PM