Kids, don't do what I did

Old October 1st 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rocket J Squirrel

Default Kids, don't do what I did

I re-cabled my town bike last week after removing the flat bars and put
on Wicked Witch of the West bars. I noticed that I had run out of them
metal cable housing ends, but having grown up in the Days of Olde When
Knights Were Bold Before Indexed Shifting Had Been Invented, I didn't
worry about not putting the housing ends on the shift cables, figured
I'd do it later.

(Those of you who are more knowledgeable about these things probably
know where I'm going here.)

The rear derailleur has been a total pain to adjust. I couldn't get it
to stay centered on the larger cogs no matter how often I fiddled with
it. Then today, riding back from downtown, the front der got all kind of
weird, it wouldn't return to the inner ring without a physical push.

I put the bike on the stand and it seemed that the cable was hanging up
in the housing. Applying my optical inspection units (eyes), here's what
I saw:

http://picasaweb.google.com/j.michae...59030094920866

(Pauses for laughter)

There's my trouble.

[This information has been posted as a public service. Any attempt to
make the poster look foolish is a waste of time as he is perfectly
capable of doing that himself.]

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old October 1st 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dvt

Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
[...]

I had that same problem once... but the cables had proper ferrules. The
ferrules wore out, making the end of my cables look kinda like yours. Of
course, the ferrules and cable stops held all of the ugliness under
cover, so it was quite difficult to find the problem. Shift quality
improved dramatically after the problem was fixed, as I'm sure you've
already learned.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old October 1st 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
I re-cabled my town bike last week

snip

Applying my optical inspection units (eyes), here's what
I saw:

http://picasaweb.google.com/j.michae...59030094920866

(Pauses for laughter)

There's my trouble.

[This information has been posted as a public service. Any attempt to
make the poster look foolish is a waste of time as he is perfectly
capable of doing that himself.]

Gives me a warm comfortable feeling that, we should exchange seat posts
some day

Old October 1st 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rocket J Squirrel

On 10/1/2008 12:57 PM Tosspot wrote:

Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
I re-cabled my town bike last week

snip

Applying my optical inspection units (eyes), here's what I saw:

http://picasaweb.google.com/j.michae...59030094920866

(Pauses for laughter)

There's my trouble.

[This information has been posted as a public service. Any attempt to
make the poster look foolish is a waste of time as he is perfectly
capable of doing that himself.]

Gives me a warm comfortable feeling that, we should exchange seat posts
some day

Heh. Yeah.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old October 1st 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Thanks for the tip, I won't do that then. ;-)
Old October 2nd 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard

"dvt" wrote in message
Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
[...]

I 'd never seen that problem until recently when I had the exact same thing
on a $10 thrift shop bike. Worn out ferrule and a bouquet of rusty SIS
housing wires poking out of the first downtube cable stop just like in Mr
R.J. Squirrels photograph. My new 17 year old Miyata appears to have been
ditched by the PO due to a multiplication of dumb little problems like that.
However, all the important stuff like bearings are in perfect condition. No
reason to replace the loose ball BB with a cartridge so I just greased it up
and put it back together. I think the shiny plated Tange cups and lockring
add to its retro charm. In a locality sinking under the weight of trashed
BSO's a triple butted CrMo frame that fits me is a real find and I've been
happy about it for weeks now.

PH

Old October 2nd 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Oct 2, 6:20*am, "Peter Howard" wrote:
"dvt" wrote in message

Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
[...]

PH- Hide quoted text -

Miyata makes a fine bicycle...My mom's got an '86-ish 912 (first year
with 600EX SIS) that she stopped riding when she got a Novara Randonee
with STI. She said she liked the brifters and low gearing of the
Randonee, but missed the go-fast character of the 912. So last
Christmas, I put on some Veloce Ergos and triple FD, an 8-speed
cassette, a Mirage triple crank, and a Deore RD. Thanks to the magic
of C10 cable pull being the same as S8, voila. Mom's ridden her Miyata
more in the last 9 months than in the 10 years previous.
Old October 3rd 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 1, 2:52 pm, Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
[...]

You always hear that properly installed and maintained cables/housing
are one of the most important things for good shifting performance.
Guess those little metal doo-dads are pretty important after all.
Thanks for sharing. I know I won't be cutting any corners whenever I
re-cable...ferrules and end-caps all 'round.

Old October 3rd 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"dvt" wrote in message

Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
[...]

more in the last 9 months than in the 10 years previous.- Hide quoted text -

I agree. I restored an old Miyata for a wife's freind who was
interested in road bikes, and I was very impressed with it on the test-
rides. She loves it as well. http://picasaweb.google.com/DanKMTB/...02935055480418

little kids francistorker Unicycling 5 April 16th 06 12:11 AM
little kids onewheelisbetter Unicycling 0 April 15th 06 02:04 AM
[ADEL] Come and Try Track Sessions (for Kids ((and big kids) Gemma_k Australia 0 October 6th 05 09:26 AM
No wonder we have fat kids. Dave W Mountain Biking 102 November 25th 03 03:27 PM