Giraffe Discussion Thread

Old November 19th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jakezcop4444

Default Giraffe Discussion Thread

I want to know weather it is really worth spending the extra like $100
plus on a dual cahin giraffe than a single chain because i found a
decent single chain for 120 but if it is a huge difference il save up
for the extra chain. anyone no?

--
jakezcop4444
Old January 1st 09, 04:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
2ScorePlus

johnfoss;1132438 wrote:
It should be possible to dig up some pictures of existing solid ones.
Things to think about:
- The heights you're describing, 12-15', will lead to almost-guaranteed
injury if you fall off them. 10' is impressively tall, while you can
still do UPDs, with a lower chance of injury.
- In my old unicycle club, our giraffes topped out at 12' because any
higher and they wouldn't fit under the wires that typically cross over
the streets we rode parades on. Don't forget to allow at least 3' above
the saddle for your head, which is where the current would enter your
body if you got too close to a power line...

I agree 10’ was a reasonable height to drop off of, except when I tried
to ride it down some steps. 12’ was better to hang on to traffic lights
from, but occasionally I had to dismount for low overpasses. The taller
you go the more critical the sturdiness becomes. I did have a chain drop
off a 12’ because it flexed to much while I was riding someone on my
shoulders.

Fortunately I never dropped off the 23' Giraffe in the picture. But
this was all 30+ years ago. Now I don’t go above 6’

|Filename: 23 Foot.jpg |

2ScorePlus
Old January 1st 09, 08:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GILD

2ScorePlus;1161599 wrote:

Fortunately I never dropped off the 23' Giraffe in the picture.

EISH!

Who built that thing?
And just how did you mount?

--
GILD

'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
(http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'unihoki'
(http://www.sinco.hu/data/pic/size_1/..._061007_26.jpg)
'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
(http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx) 'mikefule'
(http://tinyurl.com/yh6vna) 'Seager'
(http://tinyurl.com/62anrw) 'bluntrm' (http://tinyurl.com/2bq8ol)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=85449)
Old January 1st 09, 09:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
catinabag1

GILD;1161672 wrote:

And just how did you mount?

pfh. you jump...

--
catinabag1

"Black holes are where God divided by zero"

~ Steven Wright
Old January 1st 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Biggestbtc

Twenty-three feet! That gives me the heeby-jeebies looking at it.

GILD;1161672 wrote:

And just how did you mount?

Ever heard of the suicide mount?

--
Biggestbtc

~Benjamin
Unicycle For Christ

Old January 15th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
caudy

Great Idea for a thread.

My god. 23 feet. Wow. Just Wow.

I got a 5ft giraffe for christmas. So far in the last 2 or 3 weeks I
have learnt to:

ride
idle
freemount
ride backwards
bunnyhop up a curb
ride off a small ledge
ride over a funbox
ride down a moderately sized flatbank

I took it on the skatepark the other day which is where I learnt to
ride off a ledge and up and down a few ramps. I wouldn't want to try it
with anything higher than a 5ft giraffe. I'll make a video of the stuff
I can do on a giraffe at the skatepark once I learn a few more tricks. I
haven't even had it a month yet.

The next thing I am going to try and learn is riding 1 footed. I may
even try dropping in on a small quarter at this rate.

Also has anyone ever 180 unispinned a giraffe before? Is it possible?
I'd like to try.

--
caudy

... UNICYCLING IN LEEDS -'VIDEO'