Di2 Noise

Old December 1st 20, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Di2 Noise

Yesterday I decided to take my Emonda out today since I haven't ridden it in awhile. I remember that it was significantly more noisy shifting than my DuraAce bikes and assumed that was because the quality control on the derailleurs wasn't to the same standard. But after pumping the tires up I tried adjusting the derailleurs and they too are perfectly quiet during shifts. I suppose that it was noisy in the shop or that the mechanic was disturbed by customers when adjusting it so it was off a little. Now I have to try it on a known course since I need to compare it to the other bikes. At this point I intend to keep the Emonda, the Colnago and the Look. The Emonda and the Look KG785 are essentially the same bike but the Look rides far better from my memory. I will see today.
Old December 1st 20, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 8:41:54 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
Yesterday I decided to take my Emonda out today since I haven't ridden it in awhile. I remember that it was significantly more noisy shifting than my DuraAce bikes and assumed that was because the quality control on the derailleurs wasn't to the same standard. But after pumping the tires up I tried adjusting the derailleurs and they too are perfectly quiet during shifts. I suppose that it was noisy in the shop or that the mechanic was disturbed by customers when adjusting it so it was off a little. Now I have to try it on a known course since I need to compare it to the other bikes. At this point I intend to keep the Emonda, the Colnago and the Look. The Emonda and the Look KG785 are essentially the same bike but the Look rides far better from my memory. I will see today.

Well, did a 34 mile ride with 2100 feet of climbing and most of the climbing steep. So steep in fact, that I was too tired to ride very fast on the flats save in bursts. You can tell that it was steep when 6% up feels like flat road.

The Trek handles overall better than the Look. The Look rides very soft and doesn't have very accurate steering at modest speeds because of that. It gains back all of its good handling characteristics over 20 mph but the Emonda rides the same under all conditions. I came down from pretty fast downhills and the Emonda tracked very well unless I caught a side gust. There was almost no wind blowing so I suppose that couple of spots I got a bad side gust were trucks out on the Freeway since they occurred adjacent to the Freeway. There doesn't appear to be any chance of matching last year's numbers by the end of the year but I won't be far off.

The next ride will have to be my Colnago. Dura Ace Di2 of the latest type so I will have to compare it to the Ultegra which under load wasn't the quietest or quickest shifting as it was in the work stand.
Old December 3rd 20, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 3:39:37 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I took out the Colnago today. I felt rather weak and assumed that Tuesday's ride tired me out since I haven't been doing rides that hard and long for awhile. To show that I wasn't too far off base, in several steep spots I had to drop into the 32 cog when normally I can use the 28.

The Colnago seems to ride very hard. But at the end of the ride I had an average speed almost a full MPH faster than my typical average an half a MPH faster than the personal best I set the other day on my Lemond Zurich steel bike. My rides are too short for me to be gaining fitness so I think that what is occurring is that this is all bicycle. Though I would like to try the Look again. The Colnago seemed to be all over the place at low speeds and the Look seemed to do that also. Maybe I was riding harder because it was so damned cold out. California cold - an average temperature during the ride of 57 degrees.
Old December 11th 20, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 2:09:14 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I took out the Colnago again today but without pumping the tires up to higher pressure. The bike rode 10 times better and I did exactly the same personal record as I did last time. I will have to use the Look on this course or retry the Emonda to see if it is an improvement in my condition (which it most definitely does not feel) or an effect of the bike and fit.
Old December 15th 20, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, December 11, 2020 at 9:08:41 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I changed the saddle to one hopefully more comfortable so I wanted to take this on my standard 25 mile 1,900 ft climbing ride. I also just got a new set of thermal tights with a pad built in. The tights were pretty comfortable but they could be warmer since the ride averaged 45 degrees. The saddle I could tell almost instantly was improperly aligned. It was too far back and tilted slightly too far back. These are always things that have to be adjusted by trying. Measuring to the 'middle of the saddle" and the "middle of integrated handlebar/stem" are at best a guess. So getting back I moved everything to hopefully correct the position.

Because of the cold and the saddle position which was making my crotch and back hurt, my average speed was down 0.3 mph. I also used a different Garmin that doesn't have the displays that I'm used to. Damned if I can figure out how to get the displays I want. Fiddling with the tools screen doesn't give me any clues. Before I had several lines on the screen but most of them had to do with following a course. It wouldn't show the speed and distance on the same screen so the only cure I could find was to do a complete reset which just gives me the basic screen. I wanted one that shows a large enough screen of the grade that I can get a better idea what I'm doing. Originally I had it set up to do that but then messed the setup somehow. I had a screen that showed speed and distance and time and a second similar sized one that showed altitude and grade and average speed. Phooey. All of this winter sitting around is putting weight on me.

AW hub noise [email protected] Techniques 5 May 19th 20 01:27 PM
Odd noise [email protected] Techniques 15 March 4th 07 12:09 AM
Name that noise.... mamba Mountain Biking 7 August 2nd 06 04:08 AM
Another odd noise Lee UK 16 March 22nd 04 08:20 AM
Noise help Richard Jones Australia 3 January 26th 04 11:00 PM