Wheel question

Old January 29th 21, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Wheel question

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 11:42:33 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 11:19:48 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Op vrijdag 29 januari 2021 om 19:23:37 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:
On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 9:18:14 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 7:58:48 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 6:00:16 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/28/2021 5:16 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Andrew, I imagine you're the one that might be able to tell me this: Can I convert a Bontager Ranger front wheel to through axles?

I have been unable to sell the group of cyclocross components so I decided to buy a frameset which I got for a song and install all of the components on the cyclocross frameset and sell it off as a complete bike.. I think I have all of the necessary parts but the front axle on this bike is a through axle while the rear is a quick release. If I'm careful I can actually make a profit on it that way.

I see the manual admonishes "do not ride no hands", "do not
ride too fast" and of course "do not modify your wheels".

https://trek.scene7.com/is/content/T..._Wheels_EN.pdf

Unfortunately bearing diameters and through-axle conversions
are not covered.

On the bright side their tubular mounting directions are not
as dumb-as-a-brick stupid as most.
If a QR hub is convertible to through axle, it means just pulling off or unscrewing a removing a cap of some sort. It's pretty obvious just looking at the hub. If his hub does not have removable end caps, then its not convertible.

-- Jay Beattie.
Well I understand the pulling off the cap part. But you have to have a spacer to replace the room obtained by taking off that cap.
Is this going to be another one of those down-the-rabbit-hole things where you spend ten posts hiding the ball? What year are the wheels and do they have the standard Formula or Shimano hubs, e.g. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yYUAA...JR/s-l1600.jpg

Those are not convertible. Anything that is cup and cone is not convertible, and generally, convertible hubs are easy to spot.
For a front hub, you would probably not need a spacer, depending on the hub design. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VoZ...annel=VeloFuze

Like Andrew says, a through axle hub has OS bearings to accommodate a 12mm or 15mm (road standards) through axle. It is built that way and down-sized for QR with some sort of an adapter -- end plugs or a through axle insert like that video. You just pull those things out, and you have a through axle hub. Some hubs are more complicated and the end caps screw into a center shaft or have a recessed piece of some sort, and even on a front wheel, you need parts to restore the hub to a through axle design. DT are that way, IIRC.

I think your wheels just have POS M475 hubs or Formula or some other cup and cone, which you can easily determine by pulling off the rubber wipers and looking.

-- Jay Beattie.

Tom, these end caps came with my Zipp wheels:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UFBjCm7YfrAsF8kz9

currently used as 12 mm through axle (empty bag) and can be converted to QR an 15 mm through axle. My other wheelset (DT240S hubs) has the same conversion set and also can be used for 12 and 15 mm through axle and QR. To convert you just pull the end cap off and punt another on like Jay mantioned.

Until I get the frameset in I can't say if they are 12 or 15 mm through axle fork. But they appear to be a 12. The critical point is the ID of the hub bearings.

These are POS entry level wheels with cup and cone hubs. This is go/no-go and not rocket science.
No amount of wishful thinking will make them through axle hubs. Just go buy a through axle front wheel from Chinese****wheels.com.
-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 29th 21, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 12:01:30 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/28/2021 8:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/28/2021 5:16 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Andrew, I imagine you're the one that might be able to tell me this:
Can I convert a Bontager Ranger front wheel to through axles?

I have been unable to sell the group of cyclocross components so I
decided to buy a frameset which I got for a song and install all of
the components on the cyclocross frameset and sell it off as a
complete bike. I think I have all of the necessary parts but the front
axle on this bike is a through axle while the rear is a quick release.
If I'm careful I can actually make a profit on it that way.

I see the manual admonishes "do not ride no hands", "do not ride too
fast" and of course "do not modify your wheels".

https://trek.scene7.com/is/content/T..._Wheels_EN.pdf

Hmm. They also say "downhill riding" can be a problem. So can "any
abnormal bike riding."

But it seems to me that avoiding downhills would be abnormal.

So confusing!

Well, if you read about the race up Mount Washington you will find
that they do not allow participants to ride back down the mountain.
So perfectly normal in that case :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Another BC wheel question NKahler Unicycling 15 August 16th 07 02:27 AM
Wheel question [email protected] Techniques 6 July 11th 06 02:11 PM
Wheel question [email protected] UK 8 July 3rd 06 12:19 PM
wheel / rim question Spithead Control UK 2 July 24th 05 01:56 PM
One more question please was:Is this wheel bad? Werehatrack Techniques 1 July 15th 05 01:51 AM