Sure do hope modern, anatomical, nose-turned-down racing saddlesaren't hype

Old March 31st 21, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
William Crowell

Default Sure do hope modern, anatomical, nose-turned-down racing saddlesaren't hype

You guys have educated me that some of the new, expensive products introduced by the component manufacturers is "hype-ware": it doesn't really work as claimed, it's terribly overpriced; it won't be produced very long and replacement parts will be unavailable; and that the market driving this is all those cyclists who have plenty of money to spend and always want to ride the latest equipment in order to impress other riders.

So I bought one of the new-type saddles that was advertised as being comfortable. I will admit that I didn't take careful enough measurements on my old saddle before replacing it with the new one, so I am starting from scratch on the adjustment. Therefore I don't want to blame my discomfort on the saddle yet, but I've tried several different positions and so far none of them is anywhere near as comfortable as the Brooks Pro leather saddle that I had been using for the last 30 years, and I never thought the Brooks was all that that comfortable, either. I'm getting the adjustment closer, so it feels somewhat better, and intend to keep refining it, but I just want to know: do you guys think I'm dreaming if I expect my new-type saddle to be as comfortable as my old one? Or is it a question of riding it for awhile until your butt gets used to it? Does anybody think these new-type saddles are "hype-ware"? Thanks for your opinions. retroguy
Old March 31st 21, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/31/2021 9:15 AM, William Crowell wrote:
[...]

Every saddle is sold as 'comfortable' always and ever. The
term has no meaning.

Generally you have shape, flexibility of the base and/or
compression of the pad/cover and finally position/angle
which you adjust yourself.

Notice that the saddles with the largest typeface of the
word 'comfort' are way to wide for anyone to use with normal
road handlebars. With hi-rise bars, all the rider's weight
is on the seat and that style of riding is usually with
saddle much lower than any of us would ride, hence fat saddles.

The opposite is a sprint or tt bike where the rider's
position is quite forward and low in the front. Thigh
clearance and firmness are very important to that style of
riding.

Your criteria are somewhere in the great inbetween. What
made you dump the Brooks? Apply that criticism to the shape
and material of your new saddle choice. Note well fore-aft
position, height and saddle angle which are very easy to
screw up.

(in re height and fore-aft, Brooks are different from most
modern saddles, both taller above the rails and generally
farther forward. Replacing a Brooks with a modern road
saddle directly will give a very different ride position)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 31st 21, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
William Crowell

Andrew Muzi wrote: "Brooks are different from most modern saddles, both taller above the rails and generally farther forward."

Thanks very much, Andrew. That was quite helpful.

I think I'm satisfied with the tilt, and I'll eventually get the height height correct by trial-and-error iteration. But in order to replicate the fore-aft adjustment of my old saddle, which I think I liked pretty well, the new one is going to have to be almost as far forward as it will go, right?
Old March 31st 21, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 3/31/2021 7:15 AM, William Crowell wrote:
[...]

If you're referring to a Selle SMP saddle ("nose turned down"), yeah, I
just bought one of those too. I've read that there's an acclimatization
period. I hope it's a period in which we adapt and the saddle gets more
comfortable, rather than a period in which we just give up and deal with it.

That said, while my "newer contact points" are a little tender, the
"former contact points" are very happy. I'm still holding out for "it
will get more comfortable," and I think there's hope. Still haven't
changed the tilt from the starting-point "level" setting either.

Mark J.
Old March 31st 21, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/31/2021 11:25 AM, William Crowell wrote:
Andrew Muzi wrote: "Brooks are different from most modern saddles, both taller above the rails and generally farther forward."

Thanks very much, Andrew. That was quite helpful.

I think I'm satisfied with the tilt, and I'll eventually get the height height correct by trial-and-error iteration. But in order to replicate the fore-aft adjustment of my old saddle, which I think I liked pretty well, the new one is going to have to be almost as far forward as it will go, right?

Maybe. Brooks riders often complain they cannot adjust the
saddle back enough. The difference is slight but annoys some
people, so much so as to buy very expensive seatposts:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/nittos84.jpg

Old March 31st 21, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 7:15:11 AM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
[...]

Bill, finding a saddle on which you can become comfortable is a daunting task for everyone. First ALWAYS approach claims of the winning saddle with extreme skepticism. It is rare than a saddle that works for one person works identically well for another. The droopy nose on a saddle is supposed to keep you from catching your shorts on the tip of the saddle. It works for awhile. But after you get used to it you occasionally make the same mistake you make on a normal saddle - you ae out of the saddle and back up and stand while your butt is too low and your shorts catch on the nose anyway.

I will give you some hints about what works. The front of the saddle should not touch your inner thighs. The cut out in the middle of the saddle reduces the pressure on your prostate and gives remarkable relief TO YOUR BACK! The width and shape of the saddle is different for every individual which is why so many different shapes and sizes exist. They sell saddle with a complete cutout and others with nothing more than a groove which may work well for some people. The top of the saddle may be flat or with a radius. So finding the saddle that works for you can be quite depressing.

What I do is look for the saddles in these categories that were "pre-owned" and are therefore cheap. You can jump to many saddles without paying too much of a premium.
Old March 31st 21, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/31/2021 10:15 AM, William Crowell wrote:
[...]

I think this is all very complicated, because we're all different down
there. Just like shoes, what's comfortable for one person can be
terrible for another. In fact, one saddle I've loved for years was given
to me by a friend who found it intolerable.

I've always thought we should institute saddle swap meets, where we
could try them on for comfort and trade for ones we liked.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 1st 21, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 09:25:08 -0700 (PDT), William Crowell
wrote:

Andrew Muzi wrote: "Brooks are different from most modern saddles, both taller above the rails and generally farther forward."

Thanks very much, Andrew. That was quite helpful.

I think I'm satisfied with the tilt, and I'll eventually get the height height correct by trial-and-error iteration. But in order to replicate the fore-aft adjustment of my old saddle, which I think I liked pretty well, the new one is going to have to be almost as far forward as it will go, right?

Try the age old tests for saddle position. Height so that with the
pedal at it's lowest you can just rest your heel on the pedal with
your leg straight.

For fore and aft position the saddle so that while sitting on it
normally with the pedal at a horizontal position a vertical line from
the front of your knee meets the pedal at the center.

The ride the bike for a period and then make minor changes to these
basic positions.

If it is a new Brooks leather saddle then expect at least a thousand
miles of riding before it becomes comfortable.
--
Cheers,

John B.