Built like a tank

Old November 3rd 05, 05:19 PM
dvt

Default Built like a tank

Strayhorn wrote:
http://www.flmvpa.org/bicycles.htm

I love the styling of the frame Dale Aylward's British Airborne Bicycle.
The dual top and down tubes and the graceful arc from front to rear are
nice looking. I also like the looks of the chainring. I'm curious about
the folding mechanism, and I dislike the looks of the pedals.

Of interest to r.b.tech, I'm curious about the brakes on that bike. The
resolution is too low to tell much about the calipers. Are they cam
operated? Are the arms really beefy to prevent the flex that comes along
with the long reach?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old November 3rd 05, 06:45 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 12:19:36 -0500, dvt wrote:
Strayhorn wrote:
http://www.flmvpa.org/bicycles.htm

I love the styling of the frame Dale Aylward's British Airborne Bicycle.
The dual top and down tubes and the graceful arc from front to rear are
nice looking. I also like the looks of the chainring. I'm curious about
the folding mechanism, and I dislike the looks of the pedals.

What pedals? All I see are pedal axles (to help with the folding, they
twist inwards). Presumably you were supposed to scavenge real pedals off
the local bikes of the country you're invading -- axles-only will get you
to the LBS, especially with military boots. The folding mechanism looks
like it's fixed with big butterfly nuts.

Of interest to r.b.tech, I'm curious about the brakes on that bike. The
resolution is too low to tell much about the calipers. Are they cam
operated? Are the arms really beefy to prevent the flex that comes along
with the long reach?

They look like fairly standard centerpulls to me. This whole idea about
brakes having to be any good is a fairly modern invention.

Jasper