Mountain bike City Slicks

Old November 4th 05, 10:11 AM
meb

Default Mountain bike City Slicks

The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
225 lb rider.

Anyone tried these?

--
meb

Old November 4th 05, 01:40 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

meb wrote:
The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
225 lb rider.

Anyone tried these?

Remember that most 'MTB' rims are not all that wider than many 'road'
rims. Just use enough air pressure and you will be fine.

--
meb

Old November 4th 05, 03:30 PM

meb wrote:
The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
225 lb rider.

Anyone tried these?

the good ones can hold up to 90 pounds.. though 65 is more common.
I've used them for years (18? 20? something like that). Mostly Tioga
and Ritchie, never had a pinch flat even when I was in the 230 lb
range..

Old November 4th 05, 03:30 PM
Robin Hubert

meb wrote:
The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
225 lb rider.

Anyone tried these?

How about the 1.5 or 1.95" versions?

Robin Hubert
Old November 4th 05, 05:33 PM
maxo

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

I use Performance's 26 x 1.25 "City Slicks" on my commuter bike, no problems.

I've used those too, and you can run them at 90psi so little chance of
pinching. Cheap when they're on sale, and decent enough.

I've only put a couple thousand on them before selling the bike that
had them, but they turned an ancient MTB into quite a nippy town scoot.

Old November 4th 05, 05:46 PM
meb

Robin Hubert Wrote:
meb wrote:
The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable

on
standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
225 lb rider.

Anyone tried these?

How about the 1.5 or 1.95" versions?

Robin Hubert

I tried a 1.5 on the rear of an electric bike and had pinch flat and
broken spoke problems, but that is a very heavy bike with an inordinate
rearward weight bias. I installed a 1.5 on the front of the mountain
bike, should be no trouble on the front with a 1.5.

I installed a 1.95 Wednesday on the rear of the electric and don't
anticipate pinch flat trouble-although the electric wears rear tires
out faster than conventional bikes. The original equipment was
something like a 2.15 and I had no pinch flats.

--
meb

Old November 4th 05, 06:34 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Per meb:
The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
225 lb rider.

Anyone tried these?

I use Performance's 26 x 1.25 "City Slicks" on my commuter bike, no problems.

The rims are Mavic 517 (front) and Mavic 617 (rear) - which also accommodate my
WTB Mutano Raptors (a high-volume 55x55) tire.

No problems with pinch flats and I weigh about 220# - but I pump them up to 80
psi. At 60, I dunno....
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 4th 05, 09:32 PM
Zog The Undeniable

meb wrote:
The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
225 lb rider.

Depends on the rim. On a wide rim like a Sun Rhyno Lite they will give
a hard ride and won't corner well because the profile of the inflated
tyre is all wrong. On a narrow rim like a DT XR 4.1 they will be perfect.
Old November 4th 05, 10:30 PM
Chalo

meb wrote:

I tried a 1.5 on the rear of an electric bike and had pinch flat and
broken spoke problems, but that is a very heavy bike with an inordinate
rearward weight bias. I installed a 1.5 on the front of the mountain
bike, should be no trouble on the front with a 1.5.

I installed a 1.95 Wednesday on the rear of the electric and don't
anticipate pinch flat trouble-although the electric wears rear tires
out faster than conventional bikes. The original equipment was
something like a 2.15 and I had no pinch flats.

I've found that a 2.35" Schwalbe Big Apple slick is an ideal tire for
the front of my electric bike, which sports a 22 lb. hub motor. It
rolls freely, provides plenty of shock absorbtion, and offers plenty of
traction for the application. I can use modest pressures without
risking pinch flats.

I wish I could use such a fat tire on the rear. My electric bike's
rear wheel, which bears most of my weight plus that of a 55 lb. battery
pack, can only accomodate a 1.6" tire because of clearance limitations
in the frame. It has been beaten to death despite being equipped with
a sturdy rim and 48 spokes.

Chalo Colina