cable cutting while touring.

Old November 3rd 05, 12:30 AM
Callistus Valerius

Default cable cutting while touring.

If your cable breaks on a ride, and you're in the middle of no where.
So I bring a spare der cable, but how do you cut them? Typical cable
cutters are too heavy to bring for such an infrequent occurance, so is there
a small light one out there? Or how do you cut it, without a tool?

Old November 3rd 05, 12:34 AM
Bill Sornson

Callistus Valerius wrote:
If your cable breaks on a ride, and you're in the middle of no
where.
So I bring a spare der cable, but how do you cut them? Typical cable
cutters are too heavy to bring for such an infrequent occurance, so
is there a small light one out there? Or how do you cut it, without
a tool?

You should be able to get by with just tying it off; or invest in a
multi-tool that features teeny-tiny bolt cutters. (Of course, then you need
to cap 'n crimp; rolling hardware store!)

Old November 3rd 05, 12:48 AM
Llatikcuf

I usually just roll it up and zip tie it to to the frame until I get
somewhere I can cut it.

-Nate

Old November 3rd 05, 09:27 AM
Callistus Valerius

I usually just roll it up and zip tie it to to the frame until I get
somewhere I can cut it.

-Nate

Good idea, I carry zip ties in my handlebars. In one of the old
discussions on this topic, one guy said he cut it by using a rock and
screwdriver. I guess that could work, but what I gathered is that only
those heavy cable cutters can cut cable. I guess you could carry 2 pre-cut
cables, or at the very least cut off at least one of the heads, on those
universal cables (one end campy the other shimano), before putting it in the
pack. If you don't pre-cut, you only have to bring one cable.

Old November 3rd 05, 01:06 PM
POHB

The wirecutters on a small Leatherman (e.g. Juice) will do it and the other
gadgets on it are handy for emergency repairs too.
You'll end up with a bit of a mashed end to the cable so (as previously
suggested) pre-cut the end you don't want off a double-ended cable.

nk.net...

Old November 3rd 05, 01:19 PM
Peter Cole

Callistus Valerius wrote:
If your cable breaks on a ride, and you're in the middle of no where.
So I bring a spare der cable, but how do you cut them? Typical cable
cutters are too heavy to bring for such an infrequent occurance, so is there
a small light one out there? Or how do you cut it, without a tool?

When, for some reason, I don't want to cut a new cable, I bundle up the
excess and tape it. If I were going on a tour, I think I'd just replace
both shift cables before I left.

You can usually cut rope or wire by banging it between 2 rocks or
rubbing on a sharp rock edge.
Old November 3rd 05, 05:50 PM
Llatikcuf

Callistus Valerius wrote:
Good idea, I carry zip ties in my handlebars.....

That's where I keep my extra spokes.

-Nate

Old November 3rd 05, 06:54 PM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 00:30:06 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

If your cable breaks on a ride, and you're in the middle of no where.
So I bring a spare der cable, but how do you cut them? Typical cable
cutters are too heavy to bring for such an infrequent occurance, so is there
a small light one out there? Or how do you cut it, without a tool?

I wouldn't. I'd carry a couple of small cable ties, and just loop the
end and let it hang (tied) until I got home. Too long is not a
problem in such a situation, so making it shorter isn't a big issue.

OTOH, how often do you break a der cable, anyway?
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old November 3rd 05, 07:00 PM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 08:19:24 -0500, Peter Cole
wrote:

You can usually cut rope or wire by banging it between 2 rocks or
rubbing on a sharp rock edge.

Assuming you're not in an area where all the rocks are way too soft to
make a dent in steel, or worse yet, in an area where rocks have been
little more than a rumor since the late Pliocene. (I grew up in one
of the former, and I live in one of the latter.)

As mentioned elsewhere, though, the simplest route is often the best;
use now, cut later.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old November 3rd 05, 07:12 PM
Peter Cole

wrote:

You can usually cut rope or wire by banging it between 2 rocks or
rubbing on a sharp rock edge.

Assuming you're not in an area where all the rocks are way too soft to
make a dent in steel, or worse yet, in an area where rocks have been
little more than a rumor since the late Pliocene. (I grew up in one
of the former, and I live in one of the latter.)

As mentioned elsewhere, though, the simplest route is often the best;
use now, cut later.

What, no bricks or concrete?

cutting gear cable housing without a Dremel [email protected] Techniques 17 July 12th 05 09:22 AM
Carbon frame with internal cable routing, wear at ingress/egress points? Doug Techniques 4 October 19th 04 05:35 AM
Cable outers. Any colour you like so long as... procerus UK 8 March 13th 04 04:57 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
How to install shifter cable on Ultegra brake/shift lever? Kevin General 5 August 5th 03 05:37 PM