Basket wearing paint on head tube

Old October 2nd 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Basket wearing paint on head tube

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
I recently mounted a Wald Standard Bicycle Lift Off Basket
(http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Standard-.../dp/B000AO3H2Y)
on my town bike.

As can be seen from the photo, the lower portion of the wire mount rests
against the head tube. In only a few days of riding it's worn through
the paint, leaving a horizontal groove. Squeaks, too, when riding and
turning.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to prevent more wear to the tube. I
tried some clear tape on the head tube but the wire wore right through
it. Maybe zip-tie some soda can aluminum around the tube?

That's a very stupid design. I've been looking at ways to better mount
the Topeak basket, and the first thing I threw out was anything on the
head tube since it doesn't turn with the fork and handlebars.

If it's a non-suspension fork, lose the head tube wire, and support the
basket from the bottom with a bracket up from the fender/brake-bolt
hole. See "http://i37.tinypic.com/nmlyxv.jpg" and
"http://i34.tinypic.com/2zno9k9.jpg". You may need a piece of aluminum
flat bar under the basket to distribute the load. I bought that
stainless steel bracket at Daiso (a Japanese dollar store). You can
always use wing nuts if you need to make it pseudo-quick release.

If it's a threaded headset, you can install one of those old steel
reflector mounts, and bolt a piece of aluminum flat bar to the two
holes, then drill holes in the flat bar for that wire to attach to. Look
at the bracket at "http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/images/refbrack.jpg"
and the bracket on my girlfriend's bicycle which I've attached a light
to at
"http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/images/headlightmountingbracket2.jpg". I
don't know where you can buy these anymore, but you could always make
something out of a piece of steel Simpson StrongTie.

If you insist on retaining the original mount, buy some vinyl tubing at
Home Depot, and slide it over the wire, but I think that even the tubing
will eventually rub the paint off.

Hmm, should I do a website on baskets now?
Old October 2nd 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 2, 10:11 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
On 10/2/2008 6:44 AM landotter wrote:

On Oct 2, 12:59 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions on how to prevent more wear to the tube. I
tried some clear tape on the head tube but the wire wore right through it.
Maybe zip-tie some soda can aluminum around the tube?

It's just a crap basket design. Start over with something better. You
really want a basket that can fly loose when you hit a leaf?

Hey -- don't be dissing the Wald basket. I've taken it over some nasty
bumps and it stays put. The handlebar clamps are mighty tenacious, with a
grip like an ex-wife wife holding onto ones assets.

http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/...8gbbasket.html

Now that's a basket!

The removeable one isn't really a Wald--it's an imposter that was sold
under many names including Bell. I gave mine to the wife of a locally
famous Western Swing geetarist.
Old October 2nd 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 2, 12:59*am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
I recently mounted a Wald Standard Bicycle Lift Off Basket
(http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Standard-.../dp/B000AO3H2Y)
on my town bike.

As can be seen from the photo, the lower portion of the wire mount rests
against the head tube. In only a few days of riding it's worn through the
paint, leaving a horizontal groove. Squeaks, too, when riding and turning..

I'm looking for suggestions on how to prevent more wear to the tube. I
tried some clear tape on the head tube but the wire wore right through it..
Maybe zip-tie some soda can aluminum around the tube?

Sounds ugly. But then, so is that design feature of the basket!

I think you need a bracket from the fork up to the basket, to hold the
basket completely away from the head tube. No friction involved.
Bolt it to the brake mounting hole if you have one; drill one if you
don't. Brackets are pretty easy to make.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 2nd 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

SMS wrote:
[...]

Also see "http://i34.tinypic.com/n2odjc.jpg" where that bracket
apparently is being used as part of the basket mount (I cut out the
non-relevant part of that photo, since when I did a search for images of
baskets and bicycles, the image that came up was not family-oriented)
Old October 2nd 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions on how to prevent more wear to the tube. I
tried some clear tape on the head tube but the wire wore right through it.
Maybe zip-tie some soda can aluminum around the tube?
It's just a crap basket design. Start over with something better. You
really want a basket that can fly loose when you hit a leaf?

Hey -- don't be dissing the Wald basket. I've taken it over some nasty
bumps and it stays put. The handlebar clamps are mighty tenacious, with a
grip like an ex-wife wife holding onto ones assets.

http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/...8gbbasket.html

Now that's a basket!

The removeable one isn't really a Wald--it's an imposter that was sold
under many names including Bell. I gave mine to the wife of a locally
famous Western Swing geetarist.

Showing your disdain for the wives of Western Swing Guitarists.

I bought a counterfeit? Oh well, it works.

The 198GB you mention does look sturdly.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

Old October 2nd 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

wrote:
[...]

Jeez. Make a fellow feel like a schmuck for purchasing that basket why
doesn't everyone.

I'm going to go sit in the corner for a while.

Sound of sniffling from corner.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

Old October 2nd 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:

Maybe zip-tie some soda can aluminum around the tube?

Milk jug plastic, if you're gonna even try--as it's tougher and
slipperier. Problem is the rubberized coating on the steel. You could
try spraying it with silicone or waxing your head tube.
Old October 2nd 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

There, there. It's not your fault. You just didn't know!

But now you can practice your mechanical skills, fix it, and tell
yourself "I'm smarter than Mr. Wald!"

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 2nd 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rocket J Squirrel

wrote:

Maybe zip-tie some soda can aluminum around the tube?

Milk jug plastic, if you're gonna even try--as it's tougher and
slipperier. Problem is the rubberized coating on the steel. You could
try spraying it with silicone or waxing your head tube.

Good idea. And it lets me easily pop the basket off. It's a band-aid,
but it will work just fine until I find some other basket.

I did think about lubing the contact point, but dust and grit would
pretty much negate the effort.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old October 2nd 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:

Maybe zip-tie some soda can aluminum around the tube?

Milk jug plastic, if you're gonna even try--as it's tougher and
slipperier. Problem is the rubberized coating on the steel. You could
try spraying it with silicone or waxing your head tube.

Good idea. And it lets me easily pop the basket off. It's a band-aid,
but it will work just fine until I find some other basket.

I did think about lubing the contact point, but dust and grit would
pretty much negate the effort.

Tack weld a roller bearing onto the head tube, then. Easy!