commuter build questions

Old October 2nd 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
futrino[_2_]

Default commuter build questions

I have a early 1990's trek hybrid frame that broke last year at the seat
stays behind the bottom bracket. I had it welded and now it is cracking
again. So I want to get something newer and hopefully lighter too. I
liked the trek because the bottom bracket is really high and I ride this
bike everywhere with a 53 big ring, and it went over logs and such
nicely.
I want to reuse as many parts as I can, I know I will have to probably
go to a 1 1/8 fork, headset etc.

Any reasons not to use a 29er frame? I have 700c wheels

I might get the nashbar X frame. I want to stay with V brakes. Also any
reasons not to spend the extra $85 to get a carbon fork instead of
steel. I do abuse the bike, bar, work off road curbs etc.

thanks, dan.
Old October 2nd 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 3, 5:17 am, futrino wrote:
I have a early 1990's trek hybrid frame that broke last year at the seat
stays behind the bottom bracket. I had it welded and now it is cracking
again. So I want to get something newer and hopefully lighter too. I
liked the trek because the bottom bracket is really high and I ride this
bike everywhere with a 53 big ring, and it went over logs and such
nicely.
I want to reuse as many parts as I can, I know I will have to probably
go to a 1 1/8 fork, headset etc.

Any reasons not to use a 29er frame? I have 700c wheels

I might get the nashbar X frame. I want to stay with V brakes. Also any
reasons not to spend the extra $85 to get a carbon fork instead of
steel. I do abuse the bike, bar, work off road curbs etc.

" I ride this bike everywhere with a 53 big ring, and it went over
logs and such nicely."

$60 gets you a Kona P2 that will look and work just fine with that
frame. You'll never have to worry about it. $10 more gets you a
crowned Surly.
Old October 3rd 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 2, 6:04*pm, landotter wrote:
On Oct 3, 5:17 am, futrino wrote:

[...]

Personally, I'd go this route as well. Alternatively, you may
consider a carbon cross fork, if you're set on carbon. I'd be wary of
off-road bashing with a carbon road fork.

Landotter - it's too early, I was thinking your $60 & $70 were frame
prices. In the time it took me to type "Kona P2" into the google
search box, I was already doing a mental inventory of parts I have vs.
whta I'd have to buy to build another bike. I've been itching for
another lately for some reason - something fast enough on-road but
strong enough off-road. Converting my old Rudge may be my best
option, considering the minimal budget. I don't think it's up to the
abuse I have in mind though. The SWOBO Folsom got me started on this
whole thing, followed by the Redline Monocog 29er, and then come other
built-up projects such as the "Monster Cross" fatcyclist recently
wrote about. You know, because the 5 bikes I currently ride isn't
enough. Therapy may be cheaper... at least insurance covers that.
Old October 3rd 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 3, 5:17 am, futrino wrote:

[...]

Heh. Their new Honky Tonky utility road bike will take a 32mm tire
easily if ya want a bike that you can take fire roading. Caliper
brakes, so not good in the mud though. Nice spec for around $900:

http://www.konaworld.com/09_honkytonk_en.cfm

I take my fixed gear with similar clearances on the access roads in
the local wetlands with some Panaracers mounted up. F-U-N!

They got one at the LBS--it's seriously a handsome bike. Frame and
fork are $350ish. Very nicely done rear dops.

Old October 3rd 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Oct 2, 3:04*pm, landotter wrote:
On Oct 3, 5:17 am, futrino wrote:

[...]

I have a P2 that bent backward at the cantilever bosses (no, really.)
Also the steer tube is too flexy which leads to shudder if you have
center-pull cantilevers and a longish head tube.

The Surly LHT fork I replaced it with is a real boat anchor, but a
solid one.

-pm
Old October 3rd 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 3, 5:17 am, futrino wrote:

[...]

fork are $350ish. Very nicely done rear dops.- Hide quoted text -

I just bought a slightly used motobecane outcast 29er for very short
$. I've got some 700c wheels & tires lying around, so I can have a
road set & a mtn set. I've also got a very nice flip-flop hub that I
can't recall the width on lying around, which I'll build a new rugged
rear wheel on if it's wide enough. Previous owner already upgraded
the headset, and I've got a couple stems lying around. Should be just
a set of bars away from a passable ride, from all the reviews I've
read. Should be an interesting experience.
Old October 3rd 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 3, 5:17 am, futrino wrote:

[...]

read. *Should be an interesting experience.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, and tires. Lots of people with this bike don't like the tires,
which weight 2lbs each. I suppose those might get changed out as
well.