Cateye Triple Shot battery charging problem.

Old October 3rd 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Garry Lee

Default Cateye Triple Shot battery charging problem.

This is my third winter using this lighting system for night training
on quiet roads.
I cannot cycle during the week at daytime due to the demands of my job
(I intend to retire within a year).

After a summer on the shelf the battery will only charge for a few
minutes. Unplug and keep doing it. It will eventually fully charge.
After that you will be okay for the winter. This is my second time
having to do that. I'm just posting this as it may be useful to
someone who uses this SUPERB light.

I get a good three hours at full whack out of it. I actually love
night riding, but stick to really quiet roads.
Old October 3rd 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

"Garry Lee" wrote: (ckip) After a summer on the shelf the battery will
only charge for a few
minutes. Unplug and keep doing it. It will eventually fully charge.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ni-cad battery pack? They like to be fully discharged before being
recharged. Otherwise their capacity gradually diminishes. Prior to each
ride, it may help if you run them down before recharging. When you are
"rejuvenating" the batteries at the beginning of the season, it may be
beneficial to discharge the batteries each time before recycling them on the
charger. This is not true of some of the newer ni-cads, so it depends on
how old yours are.

Probably doesn't apply here, but one other problem with ni-cads: sometimes
a cell develops a "whisker" internally, which shorts it out, so it won't
charge. This can sometimes be fixed by zapping the battery pack with a
higher than normal charging voltage (briefly!).