Shimano FC-MC12 crank replacement

Old March 16th 10, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Shimano FC-MC12 crank replacement

I'm the not so proud owner of an old (age unknown) Specialized
Rockhopper FS that arrived with a known defective Shimano FC-MC12
crank.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml97/97149.html
After some Googling, I find that Shimano will replace it with:
A new bottom bracket
IG50 chain
FC-M191 crankset
C050 SIS front derailleur
Assuming they still honor a 13 year old recall, I should probably have
called Shimano to arrange for the replacement. Instead, I dug out a
few cranks I had laying around and tried to make them fit. All of
them have the chainline too close to the frame. I also tried a few
assorted new cranks with similar results. Now, I see why Shimano also
ships a replacement bottom bracket. Duz anyone have the specs of the
FC-MC12 and the bottom bracket? Is there a suitable substitute crank
that does not require a bottom bracket replacement? Or should I just
give up trying to find a substitute and call Shimano?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 16th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Depending how picky you are, you could try shimming. I've solved similar
problems by shimming 2 sides of a square taper with Coke can material. I
worked for many months anyway (it never failed, bike was swiped).

shimano st-m020 replacement... didds UK 0 June 30th 08 10:16 AM
Replacement Crank Bolt for KH/Qu-Ax cranks/hub? burjzyntski Unicycling 4 September 12th 06 11:57 PM
Crank replacement TAKennelly General 1 June 2nd 06 04:41 AM
Tandem Ultegra front crank arm replacement? PatC Techniques 5 November 22nd 05 01:35 AM
Shimano replacement pegs. Martin Dann UK 1 April 20th 05 09:58 AM