Ping suzij

Old March 8th 11, 02:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Default Ping suzij

Can you silver solder titanium?
Or how do you work with titanium frames?
Old March 9th 11, 08:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John[_24_]

On 2011-03-08, F Murtz wrote:
Can you silver solder titanium?
Or how do you work with titanium frames?

I'm pretty sure titanium has to be TIG welded. It's supposed to be
pretty difficult stuff to work with.

--
John
Is it about a bicycle? - Sergeant Pluck, "The Third Policeman"
Old March 9th 11, 10:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj[_25_]

On Mar 9, 12:45*am, F Murtz wrote:
Can you silver solder titanium?
Or how do you work with titanium frames?

Not in any process that I'm aware of.

All the titanium frames I've ever seen have been TIG welded. Titanium
is very hard to work with, and oxidises readily when heated. So all
the welding or brazing operations that I've heard of are either done
in an inert gas (argon, as in TIG) or else in a vacuum.

I've promised myself to one day get a TIG welder, and then I plan on
playing with lots of different metals.