Question for Joerg

Old January 22nd 17, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Question for Joerg

On 2017-01-08 19:36, wrote:
Joerg, I was wondering if you've ever ridden the Mosquito Road loop
in Placerville. It's not that long (under 25 miles), but has a lot of
climbing and descending with some pitches of 12%, whereas I am more
accustomed to riding a grade of 6% or so. So I'm not sure if I'm
really in good enough shape to do the loop. Any words of wisdom?
Thanks a lot. Bill Crowell in Diamond Springs

Have to pass, Bill. Never rode that one and I don't like such roads
where eventually some crazy guy on a crotch rocket blows through and
almost hits you in a curve. That happened to me on Salmon Falls Road. A
helmet flew by almost under my left arm and the guy nearly turfed it.

Seriously? That looks like a great ride.
http://tinyurl.com/h4rupuz That's a quintessential Sierra foothills ride. Reminds me of this local ride: http://rideoregonride.com/road-route...ge-long-route/
http://norcalcyclingnews.com/words/w...1.28.07-AM.png

If those types of roads are frightening for you, you'd basically have no fun place to ride around here.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 22nd 17, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jay, I assume you are referring to the Salmon Falls ride. It really is a great ride; I have done it quite a few times; and I wouldn't consider it to be a particularly dangerous bicycle ride because you're pretty much always going slow enough to stop if somebody pulls out in front of you from their driveway. But it is really dangerous to guys riding fast motorcycles because it became well-known as a popular fast motorcycle ride when the area was rural, but after it became somewhat suburban there were quite a few motorcycling deaths on the road.
Old January 22nd 17, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 11:57:07 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Jobst was renowned for riding extreme terrain with his road bike. Too
bad he's not here to comment.

Despite the card in the car and the rollator in the closet, I'm still
quite certain that I could take my road bike anywhere the boys can
take their mountain bikes -- but I don't guarantee that I'll do it in
one trip.

If they come back with holes in their Gatorskins, I won't try -- I've
long since given up fixing flats, and I don't think the Trailhouse has
a tow truck.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old January 22nd 17, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 10:50:43 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Clean Gene the Wild and Crazy Machine wrote: "several routes from bikepacking are relatively flat originally miner's path across the hills possibly done with handcarts."

Well hell, Gene, since miners could push their handcarts along that trail, I don't see any reason I can't do it on my Paramount with Michelin 700-C Pro 4s, do you?

did not take time relocating relevant links to photo n video layouts. there are 2-3-4 sources for bikepacking.

the trail I followed onscreen ran parallel on ridges ....along stream up side over stream cliffs down to blue berry marsh....drop-offs n large tree trunk grown solid trailside over 100 years. Hope still there. so not exactly flat but doesn't climb over the mtn.

hmmmm the handcart needs further research as 'pony' may be more accurate. I forget.

some talk about emigrant rail loops .... where's this ? one I know and dislke is a run to the bottom GC and back in an afternoon.

use garmin maps for route altitude profiles ?

'serious' bikepackers ride CF with ultralight backpacking ethics.

my rig is CDMTB steel cyclocross and downhill.
Old January 22nd 17, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-08 19:36, wrote:
[...]

Huh? Not true at all. This is the sort of route I ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5cjAW_nrl4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y38JzV-ueXI

Same area, no cars, pristine nature, fun!

Bill can get to the El Dorado Trail right from his garage in minutes,
just like I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_T2c4AXaCY

It goes on and on, you can ride all the way to Folsom. Why would I want
to ride on a road where motor vehicles whiz by all the time when I can
have this?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old January 22nd 17, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

This video is more my cup of tea, Joerg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9YwOKR8-U
Old January 22nd 17, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 9:28:02 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Jay, I assume you are referring to the Salmon Falls ride. It really is a great ride; I have done it quite a few times; and I wouldn't consider it to be a particularly dangerous bicycle ride because you're pretty much always going slow enough to stop if somebody pulls out in front of you from their driveway. But it is really dangerous to guys riding fast motorcycles because it became well-known as a popular fast motorcycle ride when the area was rural, but after it became somewhat suburban there were quite a few motorcycling deaths on the road.

Actually, I was looking at the route map and some pictures from the Mosquito Road loop. That Google Map citizen-provided (no Google car out there) picture is from Mosquito Road. What was the traffic like?
-- Jay Beattie.