Question for Joerg

Old January 22nd 17, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Question for Joerg

On 2017-01-22 10:42, wrote:
This video is more my cup of tea, Joerg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9YwOKR8-U

I did a few of those trips when I was young but even then I longed for
nature instead of the din of cars. Except there weren't any MTB back
then so I wrecked lots of bikes. Now that I have a full suspension 29er
I never look back. Though I usually do one valley ride per week of 40-50
miles with the road bike. From Cameron Park to Hazel and back, often
with errand stops. Like now where I am running out of bottle caps for
brewing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old January 23rd 17, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 10:04:53 AM UTC-8, Joerg
On 2017-01-22 09:28,
wrote:
Jay, I assume you are referring to the Salmon Falls
ride. It
really is a great ride; I have done it quite a few
times; and I
wouldn't consider it to be a particularly dangerous
bicycle ride
because you're pretty much always going slow enough to
stop if
somebody pulls out in front of you from their driveway.
But it is
really dangerous to guys riding fast motorcycles because it
became well-known as a popular fast motorcycle ride when
the area
was rural, but after it became somewhat suburban there
were quite
a few motorcycling deaths on the road.

Yup. They often ride like these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiYFqGhrw1o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HkeEMwkIYk

Speed limit? Phhht ....

This is the sort of riding you'll see everywhere from
Palomares
(presently closed due to landslides) To Mt. Diablo or Mt.
Hamilton.
Even out on 1 1/2 lane country roads at 85 mph.

Looks like he pulls it up to 160mph at about 1:20min in the
2nd video. I am surprised people post that in public.

I have had scary experiences at high speeds, coming over a
hill or around or curve only to find a tractor in my lane.
Yikes!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 23rd 17, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Actually, I was looking at the route map and some pictures from the Mosquito Road loop.[.] What was the traffic like?
-- Jay Beattie.

I haven't worked up the courage to do the ride yet, Jay. I am Contemplating and Cogitating about it at present. Those repeated 12% pitches have me a little concerned. And besides, it has been raining hard here. But I'll probably do it later this year.

Mosquito Road is fairly well-traveled, since that is how you get from Placerville to the outlying development called Swansboro. The main problem is the Mosquito bridge at the bottom of the ravine. I think it is made with uneven planks, so you need to get off and walk across it, and you would definitely need to watch out for auto traffic when you do.

Old January 23rd 17, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-01-22 10:42, wrote:
This video is more my cup of tea, Joerg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9YwOKR8-U

I did a few of those trips when I was young but even then I longed for
nature instead of the din of cars.

Din of cars? Amazing. The video showed one A road with some traffic.
All the rest looked like absolutely gorgeous roads with mostly zero
traffic. To me, it looked like a cycling paradise.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 23rd 17, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Empty ceptin infrequent zombie tiller ed SUV n boy racer pickups
Old January 23rd 17, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Yup WI gottem swooping curves
Old January 23rd 17, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On 2017-01-22 09:28,
wrote:
[...]

A friend was cycling Salmon Falls Road had three guys on crotch rockets
scream by. Later he saw them again parked at the edge of the road. But
only two of them, looking down a long embankment ...

Old January 23rd 17, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-22 10:42, wrote:
This video is more my cup of tea, Joerg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9YwOKR8-U

I did a few of those trips when I was young but even then I longed for
nature instead of the din of cars.

Din of cars? Amazing. The video showed one A road with some traffic.
All the rest looked like absolutely gorgeous roads with mostly zero
traffic. To me, it looked like a cycling paradise.

It's ok but I do not consider it paradise. If you want an easy relaxing
ride the Pacific Crest Trail is IMO much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmtJEG2Am4

Also a great way to loose weight :-)

Old January 23rd 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joerg wrote: A friend was cycling Salmon Falls Road had three guys on crotch rockets scream by. Later he saw them again parked at the edge of the road.. But only two of them, looking down a long embankment ...

Joerg, in about 2000 I was riding Salmon Falls Rd. when I came upon stopped traffic; was informed by the auto drivers that the road was closed due to a fatal motorcycle accident; and that the body had not yet been removed. The California Highway Patrol was really ****ed off at the time about all the fatal motorcycle accidents that were occurring on Salmon Falls, and they wanted the public to know about it. Also, they wouldn't let traffic through until the coroner removed the body, and the coroner wouldn't do his thing until a priest had arrived and administered the last rites.

I spoke to the pickup driver, who was really upset. The motorcyclist had been going about 80 mph when this man pulled out of a driveway in his white Chevy Silverado pickup after dropping his young daughter off for a birthday party. Due to the curves in the road, there was no way he could have seen the rider coming. The motorcyclist hit him full tilt in the left front fender and slid across his hood. The truck was not driveable and had to be towed away. Later when I stopped for lunch, the tow truck, pulling the Silverado, stopped to gas up and I saw that the entire front of the truck was buckled and would need some heavy-duty body work. It was also drenched in blood. There was a small article in the Sacramento Bee about the accident the next day, and the decedent's family erected a small white memorial cross on the spot, which has long since disappeared.