Cable ends

Old October 2nd 20, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Cable ends

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 17:24:02 -0000 (UTC), Tanguy Ortolo
wrote:

While I am currently putting metallic caps on the ends of my cables, I
am wondering if there would not be a more permanent solution, that would
keep the wires together while still allowing me to remove the cable from
its housing without cutting it.

See if any of these photos give you some ideas:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=wire+rope+end+stop
Officially, these are called "wire rope end stops". If you have a
marine supply store nearby, that deals in rigging, they should have a
suitable supply. Basically, it's a better version of the common
bicycle cable aluminum end cap. Beware of expensive crimping tools.

If you're cheap, all you need is an electrical cable lug. Something
like one of these:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&q=electrical+cable+lug
The tools for these are much cheaper. You're not going to be able to
solder the copper lugs to the galvanized or stainless cable.

"Soldering stainless steel cable ends"
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/350508-soldering-stainless-steel-cable-ends.html
I've done some SS soldering like this. I used 14% silver solder and
HCL (hydrochloric acid) as flux because that's what I had on hand. You
can buy soldering kits for stainless.
https://www.google.com/search?q=stainless%20steel%20soldering%20kit
You're not going to be able to solder galvanized cable.

If electricity to operate the soldering iron is a problem, find an AC
extension cord or use a propane or MAPP gas torch.

If you prefer glue, I suggest find a sleeve that will fit over the
cable end. It can be made from almost anything. Paper, plastic,
aluminum, copper, steel, soda straw, etc. Mix up some epoxy glue,
stuff it into the sleeve, slide the sleeve over the wire end, clean up
the excess glue, and wait for it to dry. The sleeve is mostly
cosmetic. If you need to remove it, beat on the sleeve with a hammer.
The epoxy is brittle and will crumble. Don't crimp the sleeve or it
will never come off.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 2nd 20, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/1/2020 2:41 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/1/2020 3:12 PM, Doc O'Leary wrote:
For your reference, records indicate that
Tanguy Ortolo wrote:

I know that soldering the cable end is a known solution, but I have no
iron, and no electricity in the basement where I keep my bicycle.

Solder can usually be melted by a regular butane lighter, and
definitely by a torch-style one.

Have anyone tried other solution, such as tape, cyanoacrylate or epoxy
perhaps ? I would give them a try, but maybe I could benefit from past
experience…

Heat shrink tubing could also work well.

In theory maybe.
In practice, both have severe limitations and are ineffective (heat
shrink) or impractical (silver braze on stainless wire).

Wow, I've used heat shrink tubing for many decades and this is the first
time I've heard that it is ineffective! In reality it works great.

Old October 2nd 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 1 October 2020 13:24:06 UTC-4, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

While I am currently putting metallic caps on the ends of my cables, I
am wondering if there would not be a more permanent solution, that would
keep the wires together while still allowing me to remove the cable from
its housing without cutting it.

I know that soldering the cable end is a known solution, but I have no
iron, and no electricity in the basement where I keep my bicycle.

Have anyone tried other solution, such as tape, cyanoacrylate or epoxy
perhaps ? I would give them a try, but maybe I could benefit from past
experience…

Bicycly,

--
Tanguy

I crimp my aluminium cable end caps near their end - close to the cable. If I decide to reuse on, all I do is pull it off then reopen the crimped end via the use of a sharp fine point. A nail will work in a pinch.

Cheers
Old October 2nd 20, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 17:24:02 -0000 (UTC), Tanguy Ortolo
wrote:

Hello all,

While I am currently putting metallic caps on the ends of my cables, I
am wondering if there would not be a more permanent solution, that would
keep the wires together while still allowing me to remove the cable from
its housing without cutting it.

I know that soldering the cable end is a known solution, but I have no
iron, and no electricity in the basement where I keep my bicycle.

Have anyone tried other solution, such as tape, cyanoacrylate or epoxy
perhaps ? I would give them a try, but maybe I could benefit from past
experience…

Bicycly,

Well you can solder the end, which you say that you can't do, you can
put the little metal end caps on them and you can apply super glue to
about an inch of the end... and that is about all you can do.

What I do is buy a supply of the metal end caps - they are cheap,
Amazon has them for about $4/100 pcs - and cut the cable end about
2-1/2 - 3 inches past the brake and crimp on a cap. If I want to
remove the cap I cut it below the end "flange" of the cap which
prevents distorting the cable when cutting and the flange is easily
pulled off after cutting. Which shortens the cable end by about 1/2
inch each time and prevents unraveling of the cable.

But (there is always a but) I do find that super gluing about an inch
of the cable end work pretty well also.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 2nd 20, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Earls61 writes:

Here are some reusable ones...

https://www.modernbike.com/yokozuna-...t---blue--pair

$5.99 for two, versus $7.49 for 90 fancy ones:

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126178639

Or $3.99 for 20:

https://www.modernbike.com/jagwire-c...s-black-bag-20

Of course if you buy 500 they're a lot cheaper.
Old October 2nd 20, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights

On Thursday, October 1, 2020 at 5:47:12 PM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
Earls61 writes:

Here are some reusable ones...

https://www.modernbike.com/yokozuna-...t---blue--pair

$5.99 for two, versus $7.49 for 90 fancy ones:

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126178639

Or $3.99 for 20:

https://www.modernbike.com/jagwire-c...s-black-bag-20

Of course if you buy 500 they're a lot cheaper.

Dip the end of the cable in a tube of E6000 or Goop non-hardening glue. An inch or longer is fine. Leave it in the tube for a minute or longer before taking out. That's how I do mine. Never come loose, never unravel.
Old October 2nd 20, 08:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op vrijdag 2 oktober 2020 om 02:25:06 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
[...]

Reuse them? Pull them off and use a new one, they are dirt cheap:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sh...00-pcs-p31708/

I'm still on my first batch.

Lou

Old October 2nd 20, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, October 2, 2020 at 12:08:29 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, you just crimp on one and when you want to but them off you just cut them just before the expanded part and pull them off. I've seldom had any problem with this. Why would you be worried about the inner cable? Properly installed they last forever. I leave enough room so that I can trim the cable back to replace the derailleurs which are the only problems.
Old October 2nd 20, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, 2 October 2020 03:08:29 UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Reusing them saves me a trip to the bike shop. They're not 'dirt cheap' here and I'm not ordering a gross of them online as I would never use that many in my lifetime.

Cheer

SOLDERING CABLE ENDS (BARREL) ON STAINLESS STEEL CABLE [email protected] Techniques 5 August 5th 12 11:38 PM
Soldering Cable Ends Llatikcuf Techniques 86 April 3rd 06 10:34 AM
Anodized cable ends mgoony Marketplace 0 June 15th 05 03:55 AM
WTB: Cable ends [email protected] Marketplace 2 June 13th 05 01:49 PM
SOLDERING CABLE ENDS Mike Borean Techniques 60 May 9th 05 09:39 PM