Upgrade tell me no

Old October 30th 20, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

Default Upgrade tell me no

I have Wilier Grand Turismo I bought new in early 2014. I got it because it was a CF bike that still have a BSA threaded BB. True to my need the BB is great never has cause me any trouble I believe bike has about 15,000 miles on it in top shape. I don't ride in much since I got the Habanero Ti over 3 years ago. The Wilier has Shimano 6700 with some FSA brakes and crank that is Wilier custom job by FSA.

The bike rides fine generally has given me no real trouble but dialing in the shifting on the 6700 is not easy. It takes a bit of work and when it is on shifts fine but not nearly as smooth and silent as my 6800 on the habby. Actually the Wilier is about
Old October 30th 20, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 4:35:02 PM UTC-5, Mark Cleary wrote:
I have Wilier Grand Turismo I bought new in early 2014. I got it because it was a CF bike that still have a BSA threaded BB. True to my need the BB is great never has cause me any trouble I believe bike has about 15,000 miles on it in top shape. I don't ride in much since I got the Habanero Ti over 3 years ago. The Wilier has Shimano 6700 with some FSA brakes and crank that is Wilier custom job by FSA.

The bike rides fine generally has given me no real trouble but dialing in the shifting on the 6700 is not easy. It takes a bit of work and when it is on shifts fine but not nearly as smooth and silent as my 6800 on the habby. Actually the Wilier is about

I did not get to finish it posted.
The Wilier is lighter by maybe about 1 pound or a little less. I keep thinking of upgrading the groupset to r7000. What to you think. I have excellent FD shifting but at times the rear will get a bit jumpy. Nothing horrible but frankly compared to the 6800 I just like it some much better. The 6800 never misses an shift and it has a large room for error. The barrel adjusters can be turned quite a bit before it even gets noisy or off. The 6700 is the opposite it has to be right on the money.........but then it will work fine just no room for error.

So I thought maybe go with 11 speed group wheel already is 11 speed capable.. I figure no need to get the crankset just keep it since it shifts fine. Seems a r7000 groupset of chain, FD, RD, Brakes, Shifter might make things almost perfect? Give me your opinion seems the newsgroup is going to be history pretty soon anyhow. Ride as is or upgrade.
Deacon Mark

Old October 30th 20, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:43:44 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I built up a cyclocross bike to use as a gravel bike which then got used essentially as a mountain bike on very difficult terrain. two points. 105 worked very well. I could see no problems with it despite a very difficult 700 or so miles that wore through 2 sets of FSA chain rings. The 105 is so cheap that it is probably best to count on simply replacing it if it breaks rather than trying to repair it. On the road you'd have to problems but on MTB trails I broke a few rear derailleurs.
Old November 1st 20, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 5:43:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Have you taken the bike to a good shop for diagnosis of the shifting? There shouldn't be very much difference in the
shifting quality. Before spending money to replace everything, I'd spend money to see if a pro could find the existing
problem.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 1st 20, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 20:13:18 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

On the other hand, if one is looking or an excuse to buy a new
bicycle...
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 1st 20, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, October 31, 2020 at 8:13:20 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

10sp works great, and the chains/cassettes last longer. Ride for as long as you can get it. If the shift is sluggish, invest in some new cables and housing. I'd upgrade if I were shifting to hydro discs or something, but I wouldn't bother with just upgrading to 11sp.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 1st 20, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

On Saturday, October 31, 2020 at 10:13:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Oh my I am much more competent than the offerings at the local bike shops. I just find 6700 to be finicky and not dial in real easy and have much latitude. I can dial in the 6800 in seconds but the 6700 takes a real good going over and checking. I find that getting it to upshift can be tricky part. I think this is because the way it is set up has bends and curves that are not as smooth. Also the Wilier has buried cables in the frame and I also think that makes the cable bends too much. This even has the cable going through the chain stay out the rear dropout almost. I think the bike frame would be fine with the cables in the top tube but then simply adding a stop on the chain stay and leaving the cables exposed for the final run to the rear loop.
Deacon Mark
Old November 1st 20, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Saturday, October 31, 2020 at 9:01:47 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

10sp works great, and the chains/cassettes last longer. Ride for as long as you can get it. If the shift is sluggish, invest in some new cables and housing. I'd upgrade if I were shifting to hydro discs or something, but I wouldn't bother with just upgrading to 11sp.

I really do second Jay's opinion and if you had a 9 speed I would make the same suggestion.
Old November 1st 20, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Sunday, November 1, 2020 at 6:49:44 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

The latest Campy cable set is really super smooth and I suppose it it designed for being really routes in a screwy manner. You want to be careful not to cut the cables too short since they do not give you much latitude for error, but I cannot give Campy too much credit for these cables.