Need opinions on reason for frequent punctures

Old December 10th 20, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
William Crowell

Default Need opinions on reason for frequent punctures

I'm running 700C tires on the country roads around here that have a fair amount of glass, etc. Everyone tells me I should be using a heavier wheel and tire, but I'm spoiled by how nicely the 700Cs run at 110 lbs.

Using Mavic Open Sport rims with Forte Pro-Lite 700C X 23 tires.

I never had a problem with punctures until I switched from the tubes I had been using to Continental "Conti Race 28" tubes. I bought a dozen of these tubes online for a really low price, and wondered why they were such a smokin' deal. But now I am puncturing every time I ride, after about 10 miles!

There's no apparent puncture in the tire; no glass shards or nails in it, and the rim strip looks OK.

So is this a no-brainer; i.e., get a different brand of tube and/or tire? Are my tires too crappy? OK, I hear that, but I wasn't having any trouble with these cheap tires until now, and was just curious as the devil to see if anybody else has had of quality problems with the Conti Race 28 tube? Thanks a lot.
Old December 10th 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/10/2020 7:19 AM, William Crowell wrote:
[...]

Yes, those are crappy tires.

Switch to the Schwalbe 11100766.01 Marathon Plus HS 440 700c x 25. But
due to the shortages of tires (and tubes) good luck.

https://www.amaincycling.com/schwalbe-marathon-plus-tire-wire-bead-700-x-25-11100766.01/p859797?v=797526

Old December 10th 20, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 8:24:41 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
[...]

I used those tires for years (and actually didn't know they were still on the market) without significant problems. When I start getting serial flats, it usually means that the tire is worn out and lost all puncture resistance. There is a 1 micron layer of cosmetic rubber over the cord, and that's about it -- often infested with tiny shards and other objects invisible to the naked eye.

I would change the tire or at least go over it with a magnifying glass to find the cord-wire or tiny glass shard or what-have-you that is causing the flats. I don't like belted tires because they ride like wooden wagon wheels, although the 4Season is nice and the foldable Gatorskin is O.K. I've never used the Marathon Plus.

I use the Conti race tubes, and they seem to work fine, but I'm suspicious of the race lite, which seems to puncture easily. Absent manufacturing defects, I wouldn't expect problems with the Conti race tubes, but I have heard that some of the bulk discount tubes are knock-offs. Even so, its like knocking-off an ice cube, and I wouldn't expect to see problems unless there were gross issues with the seams or valves.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 10th 20, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
William Crowell

Jay Beattie wrote: "...and actually didn't know they (Forte Pro Lites) were still on the market..."

Yes, I've been aging them for awhile, Jay. The only other tires I've got at the moment are Michelin Pro 4s. I've been aging them, too. Do you think I'd be any better off with those than I was with the Forte tires, or should I hit the LBSs instead, and see what rubber they've got in stock?

I would really like to get some CST Correres, but that's not going to happen until Creepy Joe has a chance to ingratiate the U.S. with the CCP again.

I did call my main man at the LBS yesterday, and asked him if he had any good deals on tires, but he said the same thing: they were low on stock, and when he did get more in stock he certainly wasn't going to be giving them away. Hey Andrew, I know you are reading this, so please tell us if the rubber shortage is affecting you or not.
Old December 10th 20, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/10/2020 11:18 AM, William Crowell wrote:
[...]

And everyone else. It's a daily fight for product and prices
are brutal.

You saw in the papers raw latex rates jumped this month.
That affects everyone even beyond our industry's present
troubles.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 10th 20, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 10:11:03 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

With that said, hurry! Deal of the day at Western Bikeworks is Gatorskins. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...d-tire-folding Super fast shipping to the DPR Portland -- I'd ride over there, but that would take effort.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 10th 20, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/10/2020 1:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:

With that said, hurry! Deal of the day at Western Bikeworks is Gatorskins. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...d-tire-folding Super fast shipping to the DPR Portland -- I'd ride over there, but that would take effort.

About that advertisement: Is this a bit of ad trickery? "60 TPI per
layer casing (3 plies/180 total TPI)..."

My impression is that higher TPI counts signal thinner threads, thus
more flexibility and hopefully lower rolling resistance. Am I right?

It seems like they are saying the tire has three layers of 60 TPI
fabric. It may total 180 TPI but it actually carries the opposite
meaning of a high TPI count. It looks like an attempt to mislead.

Am I misinterpreting things?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 10th 20, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/10/2020 10:19 AM, William Crowell wrote:
[...]

Repeated flats within 10 miles sounds really odd. Can you give us more
details on the flats? Are they slow leaks, dropping pressure over hours,
or are they flat within a few seconds? Are they happening near the same
spot in the tire, or randomly placed around it?

You say you checked, but I think I'd still suspect something sharp and
near-invisible left in the tire tread or perhaps inside the tire.

About the glass: Since I started riding farther out in the lane I get
far fewer flats than I used to. Ride in the car tire tracks. Their tires
knock glass and other debris off the road. Or at least, they knock it
closer to the curb where too many cyclists ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 10th 20, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

On 12/10/2020 16:36, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/10/2020 1:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:

With that said, hurry!Â* Deal of the day at Western Bikeworks is Gatorskins.
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...d-tire-folding
Super fast shipping to the DPR Portland -- I'd ride over there, but that would
take effort.

About that advertisement: Is this a bit of ad trickery?Â* "60 TPI per layer
casing (3 plies/180 total TPI)..."

My impression is that higher TPI counts signal thinner threads, thus more
flexibility and hopefully lower rolling resistance. Am I right?

It seems like they are saying the tire has three layers of 60 TPI fabric. It may
total 180 TPI but it actually carries the opposite meaning of a high TPI count.
It looks like an attempt to mislead.

Am I misinterpreting things?

I agree that "180 TPI" is misleading, but at least they also clarify that it's 3
plies of 60.

Here's an article about TPI by Jan Heine:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/tpi-...e-performance/
Old December 10th 20, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 1:36:42 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/10/2020 1:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:

With that said, hurry! Deal of the day at Western Bikeworks is Gatorskins. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...d-tire-folding Super fast shipping to the DPR Portland -- I'd ride over there, but that would take effort.

About that advertisement: Is this a bit of ad trickery? "60 TPI per
layer casing (3 plies/180 total TPI)..."

My impression is that higher TPI counts signal thinner threads, thus
more flexibility and hopefully lower rolling resistance. Am I right?

It seems like they are saying the tire has three layers of 60 TPI
fabric. It may total 180 TPI but it actually carries the opposite
meaning of a high TPI count. It looks like an attempt to mislead.

Am I misinterpreting things?

--
- Frank Krygowski

I don't know. It's a Gatorskin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx4N...el=megamanxoxo

"The Gatorskin uses a 3/180 carcass with DuraSkin fabric and a PolyXBreaker for increased puncture resistance. The rubber compound is a "Durable carbon black mixture." This seems to be quite an old compound which has been optimized for low wear and cold weather grip. Claimed weight of the 25C folding Gatorskin is 240 grams which is a low weight for such a strong tire."

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...gatorskin-2015

It rides worse than a 4Season, but it is somewhat more flat resistant.

-- Jay Beattie.