A New Riding Year is Nearly Upon Us

Old December 30th 20, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default A New Riding Year is Nearly Upon Us

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 9:22:49 p.m. UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 19:24:27 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/29/2020 7:13 PM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 13:20:14 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 12:37:28 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 5:22:31 a.m. UTC-5, wrote:
Op maandag 28 december 2020 om 23:31:40 UTC+1 schreef :
On Monday, December 28, 2020 at 1:07:51 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Op maandag 28 december 2020 om 19:05:53 UTC+1 schreef :
The only thing that we have to look forward to is the permanent lockdown from the Biden administration, the sudden change of heart of the National Institute of Health saying that since Trump wasn't re-elected that Hydroxychloroquine has become a magic bullet in the treatment of covid-19 and that the people who don't ride and don't work on bicycle will be the loudest on this group.
You being one of the loudest in this news group in this election year does mean what in this context?
Can you name one thing that Frank or John or Newsy had added to this group? If so perhaps you can tell us what it was.
Tom to me it looks like that in this election year you, Frank, John and Newsy hijacked this newsgroup with contra productive political drivel especially for non Usians. I don't mind a topic drift once in a while. It can be amusing or informative but what is going on lately is disgusting. You are all retired and should enjoy retirement instead of google all day.

Lou, 12600 km so far this year.
This EX-bicycling Newsgroup is FUBAR over run with Politics and Trolls and extremely little bicycling related content.

Cheers and hope for a better year in 2021

Let's talk about disc brake pads. Metal? Organic? I suppose the liberal communist fake-elected Kamala Harris would go for organic, after getting some of her illegal friends to shoot up my neighborhood!

Actually, here is a real gripe -- tools. Park has gone through three iterations of the derailleur hanger adjustment gauge. The tool I have -- the DAG-1 -- and then the DAG-2 and now the DAG 2.2. My tool does not work on my through-axle bike because the flat tool face does not seat against the hanger profile. https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/...rged/DAG-1.jpg To accommodate this now-known problem with through axle hangers, the new DAG-2.2 (but not the DAG-2) has a longer center shaft: https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/...AG-2.2_001.jpg

Now, in a fair world (not one run by Joe Biden!), a manufacturer would produce a new model with the same diameter center shaft so they could be swapped. But no. Here is the response to my inquiry from Park Tool:

Hi Jay,
Thank you for using our products and your replacement part request.
Sorry, but Ref #3/Part #591.2 Inside Shaft used in our current DAG-2.2 is not compatible with older DAG-1/DAG-2 tools.
Please purchase a new DAG-2.2 from your local bike shop/online.
Thanks again,
Marc

Purchase a new tool! I'll do that, but not from you. I'll use the old tool for home defense or clubbing baby harp seals on ice floes in the Arctic. https://www.humanesociety.org/sites/...?itok=Id6IQs-t That's what happens to the old DAG-1s. They become bringers of death.

Park also doesn't' support my TS-1 truing stand which is still a fine stand, although mine needs some TLC and some swanky new parts, but the rebuild kit is only for later models. Buy a new stand! And don't get me going on all the outmoded and superseded BB tools.

Here is some good tool news: I was fixing up the Norco for use by my son during his visit, and I noted that my Keo 2 Max pedal spindle was loose.. The retaining nut that screws into the pedal body has a star-shaped wrench fitting which is not the same pattern as my old Look/DuraAce tool, and I was ready to get ****ed off about superseded tools, but I figured out that a standard box-end wrench (19mm?) fit it perfectly. Disaster averted.

-- Jay Beattie.

Water pump pliers. Available in several sizes and fit nearly
everything
https://www.amazon.com/Water-Pump-Pl...er+Pump+Pliers

I'm as 'live and let live' or 'de gustibus non disputandem'
as anyone usually, but that is just too much. A pliers on a
bolt or nut is offensive and a crime against nature. Repent!

Why ever so? A pair of, proper sized, water pump pliers is effectively
no different than an adjustable wrench, it present two parallel
surfaces to the fastener. Assuming, of course that the user knows what
he is doing :-)

And after all, adjustable wrenches - Ford Wrench, Monkey Wrench -
(monkey, in this case seems to denote a small light structure or piece
of equipment: a monkey foresail ; a monkey bridge) and so called Coach
Wrenches, apparently have been in use in the U.S. since at least the
18th century.
--
Cheers,

John B.

I found that a Ford wrench was ideal for removing the adjustable cups with the raised rectangular surface.

Cheers
Old December 30th 20, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

The secret is, as I said, "Assuming, of course that the user knows
what he is doing" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 30th 20, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Lou Holtman writes:

Op dinsdag 29 december 2020 om 22:20:16 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:
[...]

I find Park tools always very clunky looking and ridiculous
overpriced. Something from a blacksmith instead of a machine
shop. Still can be good tools except the price is not right. I had a
similar experience with Speedplay. Up to two years ago I always used
Speedplay pedals on my road-bikes. The fact that they are two sided
appealed to me, but to be honest the quality of the seals of the
pedals are not that good, but they are easy to overhaul. For the
quality they are way overpriced, the cleats included. Around 45 euro's
for just the cleats. Anyway, finally I found Speedplay compatible
shoes that fitted my wide feet. They don't need an adaptor and/or
shims to mount the cleats which is always a hassle and punt your feet
further from the pedal axis. With the cleats you get ton of hardware
and shims, but no suitable screws to mount the cleats to Speedplay
compatible shoes. The ones included are too long or too short. WTF? I
was so ****ed that I wrote an email explaining this ridiculous
situation. Never expected an answer but one evening someone for
customer service CALLED. He pointed out that they had a screw set
available with the correct length I could buy for 10 USD (eight
M3*12mm screws). Yeah right, have a nice day.

I agree that's ridiculous, but cutting M3 screws with a wire stripper is
pretty quick. Being outside the land of antiquated units you should
have one with an M3 hole.
Old December 30th 20, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 22:15:56 -0500, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Lou Holtman writes:

[...]

Or maybe just buy a hand full in various lengths. I see them listed as
$10.79 in lots of 310, or 3 cents each.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 30th 20, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 30 december 2020 om 04:15:59 UTC+1 schreef Radey Shouman:
Lou Holtman writes:

[...]

Getting the proper lenght screws wasn't the problem. The problem I had is that I think they should be included with the cleats, especially when you bought shoes that are Speedplay specific. If you look at the included hardwa

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sp...Cleats-p43909/

with Speedplay specific shoes you can throw away all the 3 to 4 hole adapter stuff; you only need the 8 small M3 scews and they don't fit. I see that the new walkable cleats are even more expensive than the cleats for the original X series pedals I had.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.x

I can't find those cleats anymore. My brother still rides the Xseries on 3 bikes. He will be f*cked when he wears out his cleats.

Lou
Old December 30th 20, 08:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

wrote:

Lou Holtman writes:

[...]

At work it is 'screw heaven' so that is not the problem.

Lou

No cyclists fined for riding on footpath last year. Alycidon UK 1 August 31st 15 02:02 PM
Any UCI teams riding Bianchi this year? Hell and High Water Racing 0 February 16th 07 09:07 PM
riding in italy next year bob UK 0 August 21st 06 01:28 AM
riding in italy next year bob UK 0 August 21st 06 01:28 AM
One year riding uni underdog Unicycling 12 March 15th 05 10:27 PM