What cycling needs is more rules

Old February 5th 21, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default What cycling needs is more rules

Arbitrary and capricious, randomly applied, are best!

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rou...olutely-tucked
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 5th 21, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/5/2021 2:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Arbitrary and capricious, randomly applied, are best!

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rou...olutely-tucked

I share your indignation! And when I used to play soccer, they wouldn't
let me use my hands! What's up with that?? Talk about random rules!!

Actually, this is the position I wonder about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iz7ZMALaCY
It certainly looks more aero, unlike the supertuck. Is it legal?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 5th 21, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, February 5, 2021 at 12:43:02 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/5/2021 2:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Arbitrary and capricious, randomly applied, are best!

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rou...olutely-tucked

I share your indignation! And when I used to play soccer, they wouldn't
let me use my hands! What's up with that?? Talk about random rules!!

Actually, this is the position I wonder about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iz7ZMALaCY
It certainly looks more aero, unlike the supertuck. Is it legal?

Andrew, what do you suppose would happen if you're in a "supertuck" passing riders in the peloton and one of the riders pulls out of line to rotate to the back of a string? What becomes of that guy in the supertuck if he is taken down? This isn't a needless rule. It is a safety regulation to protect the rider from potential extreme physical damage. The same with this belly on the saddle position. As he went down the line it was time for the front guy to rotate off so he must have been talking to those people. It would not be legal to use any position that does not allow you full control of the bike under normal conditions. I prefer my racers alive.
Old February 5th 21, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/5/2021 2:42 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/5/2021 2:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Arbitrary and capricious, randomly applied, are best!

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rou...olutely-tucked

I share your indignation! And when I used to play soccer,
they wouldn't let me use my hands! What's up with that??
Talk about random rules!!

Actually, this is the position I wonder about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iz7ZMALaCY
It certainly looks more aero, unlike the supertuck. Is it
legal?

I have no idea about 'within or outside' whatever rules may
be at any given moment.

But riders have been tucking in elbows, crouching over
handlebars and so on for well over a hundred years to
greater or lesser degrees to greater or lesser effect.
What's the problem we're trying to solve? Laying across a
saddle is great if you win, it's only dorky if you don't.

There was a great hue and cry about Boardmen when he set the
record. But he did in fact ride faster. That's enough for me.

Old February 5th 21, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, February 5, 2021 at 2:59:35 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Arbitrary and capricious, randomly applied, are best!

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rou...olutely-tucked
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

It's too bad the author didn't link to that study claiming the low tuck wasn't any better.
Old February 5th 21, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/5/2021 2:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Where's the line on that?

"You're out of the saddle over your bars illegally being all
aero and such!"

"No, I'm not. I'm just standing for a moment to change my
back position."

Old February 5th 21, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/5/2021 5:59 PM, wrote:
On Friday, February 5, 2021 at 2:59:35 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Arbitrary and capricious, randomly applied, are best!

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rou...olutely-tucked
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

It's too bad the author didn't link to that study claiming the low tuck wasn't any better.

Yes, I'd have liked to see a link there.

From other articles I've seen, once you get rid of things like flapping
clothing, drag reduction is almost entirely a matter of reducing frontal
area. Aero frame tubes, aero spokes and other such details cause only
very minor improvements.

So I'd like to see a front view of the supertuck compared to competing
positions. It looks to me like the rider's back is lower, but his elbows
stick out farther; and elbows are badly shaped for airflow.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 5th 21, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2/5/2021 2:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

When I started racing, you could be DQ'd for not wearing white socks. What's the deal? Were red socks too fast? Centerline violation! https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/...v1/1000x-1.jpg Try baseball: https://www.mlb.com/cut4/c40850544

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 6th 21, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/5/2021 2:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

And the ABL officials measured riders' bike shorts length.
Did that make our world better in any way? Which way?

Old February 6th 21, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 2/5/2021 2:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Andrew, we could always cite really stupid rules, but it isn't as if banning the "supertuck" is a bad idea when these people are endangering others in the peloton because they simple cannot have sufficient control to avoid dangerous situations that always arise when you have a peloton riding in close proximity.

Cycling rules for female cyclists Beretie Wooster UK 2 January 20th 12 10:12 PM
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em: Vehicular cycling, the RBT RULES Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 7 February 18th 11 10:26 AM
Rules for cycling Marie UK 2 February 16th 11 10:14 PM
cycling rules 1 - 4 Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 52 December 8th 10 12:02 PM
Drinking and cycling in Toronto, what are the rules? Jason Spaceman[_2_] Racing 4 June 15th 10 10:27 PM