Eddy Merckx

Old March 4th 21, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Eddy Merckx

On 3/3/2021 9:17 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 16:16:42 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 2:17:52 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
So you think that a 2018 Emonda with Di2 is 2004 technology? Don't tell that to Trek.

That is a perfectly nice bike, and it will sell if the price is right -- but
I don't pretend to know what the right price is. My son's Emonda with Ultegra
just didn't sell. It was a fine, well maintained bike, but it apparently
lacked sex appeal. It was also a 62cm frame, which makes it harder to sell.
-- Jay Beattie.

I have it priced well below what Pro's Closet is asking for the same thing.

Is this the bicycle?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/san-leandro-2018-trek-emonda-sl6-with/7284847343.html
Hmmm... posted 2 days ago.

I have no clue if the price is reasonable. My last bicycle cost me
$50 plus some parts, so this is well outside of my area of expertise.
If this listing uses the same text as your previous failed listing,
then I see the reason why it didn't sell. In your effort to provide
full disclosure and insure that the buyer will not be surprised by
some slight defect, you over-disclosed the problem. The description
is full of negative points, which could be repackaged into something
more appealing and less self-critical.

You should also consider mentioning something about why you're selling
the bicycle.

The photography could be improved starting by washing (and perhaps
waxing) the bicycle so that it looks like $3,500 machine. Washing off
the dirt might be a good start. Also, better lighting without dark
shadows (photo 3), less background clutter (photo 2), better depth of
field so bicycle parts are not out of focus (photos 5 & 7), and detail
on the key components (preferably both sides).

I suggest you change:
"Vittoria Corsa graphene protection tires"
to:
"Vittoria Corsa graphene flat protection tires".

I think it's a fair assumption that any potential buyer would know
something about carbon fiber and might be hesitant to purchase a used
bicycle that hasn't been tested for damage. Some reassurance that it
hasn't been beaten to death might be useful.

Drop the "...if it bothered you" which might be borderline insulting
to a potential buyer.

You mention 200 miles on the pedals "...when I put the bike together".
I suggest you rewrite that in indicate that the bicycle has been
ridden only 200 miles. However, I would be tempted to ask why you are
selling a bicycle with so few miles.

Good luck.

Good suggestions. Example:

https://www.craigslist.org/about/bes...212946173.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 4th 21, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

Another classic:

https://www.craigslist.org/about/bes...624333458.html

Old March 4th 21, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Andy, how do you do it???? Do you have a used super computer from the Department of Defense in the basement of the shop, when its not spying on the Ruskies and Chinese, doing a Google search for the BEST cycle stuff ever posted on the internet? Oh, and for the cute college girls monitoring this forum, I got me a 111mm and three 102mm bottom brackets in my Campagnolo bikes. One has a Race Face crank on the end, but the other three have genuine Campy cranks. Ones a triple!
Old March 4th 21, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Regarding the CraigsList ad for the bicycle, aren't most bike pictures taken on the DRIVE side? Why is yours on the NON-DRIVE side?

Full retail price on Ultegra Di2 is $1800 without even looking for a much better price. Figure $1500 for a good price, brand new, not used like being sold here. Three year old Trek frame, used, figure $1000 maybe. Which leaves $1000 for the Look pedals and bar, stem, saddle, post, Vittoria tires, and the wheels. All used. I don't know how high end the wheels are.

So you are selling for $3500. I am going to argue with Jay and say it is not over priced. But, it is not under priced either. Its a more or less fair price. You are not giving it away.

I am not a CraigsList expert and don't know much about selling used stuff anywhere. But when I have been at garage sales, I look for stuff I really, really, really want AND is at a bargain price. I doubt three year old Treks with used Ultegra Di2 meets anyone's "really, really, really want" bucket.. Treks are everywhere, they ain't hard to find. And Ultegra is second tier. It ain't Dura Ace or Campagnolo. Its Ultegra. Nothing wrong with Ultegra. Its good. But not really desirable like Dura Ace. And $3500 is a fair price probably. It ain't a bargain. So it not selling is not a surprise at all.
Old March 4th 21, 12:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Absolutely. I am confident Andre Jute loves to rewrite it and prove it can
be sold, this month, at $3,900, even without mentioning comfy balloon tires.

You should also consider mentioning something about why you're selling
the bicycle.

The photography could be improved starting by washing (and perhaps
waxing) the bicycle so that it looks like $3,500 machine. Washing off
the dirt might be a good start. Also, better lighting without dark
shadows (photo 3), less background clutter (photo 2), better depth of
field so bicycle parts are not out of focus (photos 5 & 7), and detail
on the key components (preferably both sides).

Tom, you aren't selling to professional resellers. Basically saying "I just
rode it myself so it's in great shape" is not emotionally appealing, so
clean the bike cosmetically, give it a uselessly sparkling chain, to display
your great care for it. And are your buyers dreaming of
uninspiring-driveway scenes in your despised hood, or would they prefer
views, dawnlit adventure scenery, and prestigious climbs?

https://cdn.blogger.de/static/antville/rebellmarkt/images/firefly19r.jpg
https://cdn.blogger.de/static/antville/rebellmarkt/images/firefly17r.jpg
https://cdn.blogger.de/static/antville/rebellmarkt/images/firefly15r2.jpg

I suggest you change:
"Vittoria Corsa graphene protection tires"
to:
"Vittoria Corsa graphene flat protection tires".

I think it's a fair assumption that any potential buyer would know
something about carbon fiber and might be hesitant to purchase a used
bicycle that hasn't been tested for damage. Some reassurance that it
hasn't been beaten to death might be useful.

Drop the "...if it bothered you" which might be borderline insulting
to a potential buyer.

You mention 200 miles on the pedals "...when I put the bike together".
I suggest you rewrite that in indicate that the bicycle has been
ridden only 200 miles. However, I would be tempted to ask why you are
selling a bicycle with so few miles.

You were kind enough to put together this detailed list. Anyone
volunteering to assemble GoogleGroups links of Tom's buyer-essential
Emonda-related posts?

--
"BUY NOW before the Democrats will decarbonize bicycling and replace it with
flimsy lithium and casein!"
Old March 4th 21, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Thank you! That, sir, is an excellent read.

Old March 4th 21, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I just have a knack for remembering odd things.

Old March 4th 21, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

What I find as truly curious is that you would critique someone's craigslist ad as if you were a sales expert. But I suppose that when you believe yourself to be king of the hill you could judge absolutely anything.
Old March 4th 21, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Well, this is a discussion group. You opened this topic to discussion
when you described the bikes and your sales efforts. Jeff is offering
helpful advice.

As with your resume - essentially, another advertisement - you could be
right or Jeff could be right. The proof is in the results.

Let us know when the bike sells, or when you get hired. "Almost" doesn't
count.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 4th 21, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I have a suspicion that Jeff has been right about anything so seldom that he can't even remember what it's like. this morning alone I turned down engineering positions in Minnesota, New York and a CTO position for a medical firm in Boston. Gee, all my most favorite places.

My bikes aren't selling because of their descriptions , photos or prices which are lower than they are on the Internet or Pros Closet but because everyone is broke. Everyone is afraid for the future under Biden. But you may continue sucking he big one. Tell us some more about this "discrimination" crap or that they were honest elections when the Democrat Party themselves just announced the results of their study of the election results and that Trump didn't get a larger turnout of Republicans but that many Democrats went across party lines. This is why suddenly we have a cancel culture. If you dare to have one wrong thought you will be canceled. The left has canceled Dr. Suess because he wasn't far enough left. Watch the results of that. We know all about you. You fell out of the Ugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Eddy Merckx?? cciaffone[_3_] Marketplace 0 August 8th 12 05:34 PM
Eddy Merckx EX-1 62 cm Tom Kunich Marketplace 1 August 20th 08 06:38 PM
Eddy Merckx SC team frame, fork, Campagnolo hidden headset & Merckx seatpost clamp [email protected] Marketplace 0 September 13th 06 02:46 AM
Eddy Merckx Steve McGinty Racing 10 October 14th 04 03:40 AM
GP Eddy Merckx Colin Boyd Racing 3 August 23rd 04 07:01 PM