Rim failure

Old March 5th 21, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

Default Rim failure

On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 3:10:17 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Thanks. You're correct. I forgot about the concave wear pattern,
even though it was mentioned in the previous thread on the same topic.

It would probably be better to use a micrometer or dial thickness
gauge with ball tips. Flat tips would still be a small problem with a
concave wear pattern, but since the tip diameter is much smaller, the
error would also be much smaller. Something like this:
https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/1015MA
--
Jeff Liebermann

It's not just the concave wear pattern, but the lip on the inside of the rim. The Starrett gauge is very nice, but at over $400 it's a bit hard to justify. There is however a low-cost alternative! A dental "crown thickness gauge" is perfect for this application. The jaws are very thin, so they can reach the bottom of the concave wear, and bypass the lip easily. These gauges measure up to 10mm and are accurate to 0.1mm. They are used by dentists to measure the thickness of parts of crowns before they are cemented into place, by dental lab techs to measure the thickness of wax patterns for crowns, and by jewelers for measuring all kinds of stuff. They are relatively inexpensive. https://artmaninstruments.com/produc...-artman-brand/
Old March 5th 21, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 21:48:47 -0000 (UTC), News 2021
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 08:49:17 -0800, Tom Kunich scribed:

I'm not really sure about this. Aluminum rims are made in a long single
molding and then rolled into a wheel.

Err, I think you'll find they are an extrusion, cut to length and then
'rolled and joined.

Yep. They start as an extrusion. Here's a bunch of videos that show
the process:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+bicycle+rims+are+made

The process is shown starting at 00:32
"Factory Tour: Velocity USA Bicycle Wheels"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22sFAFTmBuU

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old March 5th 21, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 08:49:17 -0800, Tom Kunich scribed:

I'm not really sure about this. Aluminum rims are made in a long single
molding and then rolled into a wheel.

Err, I think you'll find they are an extrusion, cut to length and then
'rolled and joined.

Yep. They start as an extrusion. Here's a bunch of videos that show
the process:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+bicycle+rims+are+made

The process is shown starting at 00:32
"Factory Tour: Velocity USA Bicycle Wheels"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22sFAFTmBuU

There is really no difference between an extrusion and a molding. One is two dimensional and the other three.
Old March 5th 21, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 08:49:17 -0800, Tom Kunich scribed:

I'm not really sure about this. Aluminum rims are made in a long single
molding and then rolled into a wheel.

Err, I think you'll find they are an extrusion, cut to length and then
'rolled and joined.

Yep. They start as an extrusion. Here's a bunch of videos that show
the process:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+bicycle+rims+are+made

The process is shown starting at 00:32
"Factory Tour: Velocity USA Bicycle Wheels"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22sFAFTmBuU

There is really no difference between an extrusion and a molding. One is two dimensional and the other three.

First, please read up on the difference between "molding" and "casting."
It seems you are using the term "molding" when you actually mean "casting."

https://www.ferralloy.com/castings-difference-molding/

https://www.smooth-on.com/support/faq/201/

Second, there are huge differences between extrusion and casting (what
you seem to be calling molding). The most startling one is during the
aluminum extrusion process, the aluminum never melts. The aluminum
billet gets very hot, but it stays in solid state the entire time.

You can read a bit about the process he
https://www.gabrian.com/what-is-alum...usion-process/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 5th 21, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Can't you follow anything? A molding is a 3 dimensional extrusion. While an extrusion is more accurate for talking about a wheel rim extrusion a molding should be enough for you or anyone else to understand. At one time the rim extrusions were held together with nothing more than a clip, these days they are welded in place so that you cannot have them come misaligned as once they did.

Now exactly what does that have to do with castings?
Old March 5th 21, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

This is a semantic gulf which cannot be spanned.

Frank is using terms in their general English usage sense.

You're redefining or misusing terms such that what you wrote
is nonsense.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 5th 21, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

That is because you simply aren't thinking about this Andrew. An ALUMINUM rim can be said to be an extrusion whereas a carbon rim is a molding. Can you look at he shape of either and say that it is different from the other?
Old March 5th 21, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

"When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, β€˜it
means just what I choose it to mean β€” neither more nor less.’" - From
_Alice in Wonderland_ by Lewis Carroll

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 5th 21, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

Default OT: Another major silly tomm statement. y Rim failure

On Fri, 05 Mar 2021 09:32:34 -0800, Tom Kunich scribed:

wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 08:49:17 -0800, Tom Kunich scribed:

I'm not really sure about this. Aluminum rims are made in a long
single molding and then rolled into a wheel.

Err, I think you'll find they are an extrusion, cut to length and then
'rolled and joined.

Yep. They start as an extrusion. Here's a bunch of videos that show the
process:
https://www.youtube.com/results?

search_query=how+bicycle+rims+are+made

The process is shown starting at 00:32 "Factory Tour: Velocity USA
Bicycle Wheels" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22sFAFTmBuU

There is really no difference between an extrusion and a molding. One is
two dimensional and the other three.

You really have absolutely no idea about and form of manufacturing except
bull****. Typical silly little tommy ignorance. Do you ride many
'moulded' wheels?

Old March 5th 21, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Oh, I'm sorry I never thought of that.

You should have said 'carbon' in there some place.
No wonder it didn't make sense to me.

A Sorry Failure..... Tony B UK 6 August 9th 06 11:01 AM
Another rim failure - MA3 dkahn400 UK 17 May 26th 06 06:26 PM
Rim Failure [email protected] Techniques 142 January 29th 06 01:17 PM
Rim failure John Tomlinson UK 24 December 27th 04 06:38 PM
MA3 rim failure, where to now PK UK 2 October 10th 03 08:46 PM