Data on things

Old March 7th 21, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default Data on things

Last 2 rides outside both 51 and then 52 miles I used my Garmin Speed sensor and the cadence sensor. I have never used a cadence sensor at least outdoors off the trainer. The data has me wondering about what they call average cadence.

I assume overall average cadence is the strokes you took and then divide by the time spent riding? I am not sure but on Garmin Connect my average cadence was 73 and on Strava and Ride With the GPS is was 79. That is a pretty big difference. Today is was 70 on Garmin Connect and 77 on Strava and Ride with GPS. Not sure what strava reads but not Garmin Connect whichI thought would take precedence.

My overall average speed as 16.7 for the 51 mile ride and 16.6 for the 52 mile ride. I did not stop during the ride or even unclip both rides. There was no wind really but I froze and ass off at 28 degrees. Not complaining but it drains you for any kind of real speed. I always thought I was pretty much a spinner. I don't wear chains out fast or am hard on the drive train. I guess I coast to much or I just think I am a spinner.
Deacon Mark
Old March 7th 21, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/7/2021 2:43 PM, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

I can't answer your question.

Rather than buy two devices to tell me 'you're not doing it
right', I just ask the girlfriend.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 7th 21, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zondag 7 maart 2021 om 21:43:15 UTC+1 schreef Mark cleary:
[...]

I checked todays 'data' Garmin Connect and Strava gave the same average and max cadence. In my case the cadence is derived from my power meter. IIRC you can set the cadence sensor to ignore the zero's in the average calculation. With a average cadence of 70-80 you certainly not a spinner ;-)

Lou
Old March 7th 21, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 3/7/2021 12:43 PM, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure my Garmin Edge computer has a setting to average cadence
only over time that I'm pedaling, so to omit coasting downhill, for
example. This seems a sensible option to me; I want to know how fast
I'm spinning *when* I'm pedaling, not a calculation affected by how much
of my ride is coasting.

I'm sure that the Garmin's detection of coasting is a bit fuzzy, also.

Mark J.
Old March 8th 21, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 2:29:19 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Lou, I don't know what you could call a spinner than. I consider 80 rpm to be extremely fast for a 50 miles ride since anything over 60 rpm is fast for a normal person. Especially if they have 175 cranks which everyone seems to be using these days.
Old March 8th 21, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 2:49:39 PM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

In the estimated average cadence is all of the stop signs and traffic lights you approach at low speeds waiting for the light to change and the low cadence as you pull away from the light. 70-80 rpm average over a long ride like 50 miles is indeed a very good average.
Old March 8th 21, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 11:14:26 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

When I pedal the normal crank spin is about 82-88 and going over 90 I am pushing the pace a bit. To me it seems like garmin is taking into account the periods of time I simply coast. I generally do coast especially when going faster with the wind. I tend to try and push speed as fast as I can then let up and coast a bit. I am certainly not one to mash at least very much. I do sometimes mash on purpose going up a hill I will use biggest gear and that allows me to stand and pedal awhile for a break.
Deacon mark
Old March 8th 21, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op maandag 8 maart 2021 om 18:11:34 UTC+1 schreef :
[...]

I think it is personal but the general consensus is that spinning is something around 100 rpm. For me that is difficult and I would change gear before that. I'm very comfortable between 80-90 rpm and when I have the idea that I'm in my comfort zone and I look on my display I am around 85 rpm.

Lou
Old March 8th 21, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 9:42:50 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

When I changed from 175 to 172.5 cranks I gained about 10 RPM normal pedaling. I figure I want to try 170's since shifting to the shorter cranks also improved the pain I get in my knee for the first half hour of a ride.
Old March 11th 21, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 12:42:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I think it is personal but the general consensus is that spinning is something around 100 rpm.
For me that is difficult and I would change gear before that. I'm very comfortable between 80-90
rpm and when I have the idea that I'm in my comfort zone and I look on my display I am around 85 rpm.

Lou

It depends on the riding style, but that's about correct for a recreational/touring cyclist, Lou. Competitive riders tend to ride at a higher cadence, an average is about 95 for us. I personally tend to average around 100, though as I'm getting older it's been dropping. These past few years have seen fewer and fewer rides in the high 90's. I still do high cadence workouts though, it's useful for sprinting.

data on cut disc Emanuel Berg[_2_] Techniques 8 December 15th 17 07:01 AM
conjecture isn't data AMuzi Techniques 18 February 24th 16 12:21 PM
OFF TOPIC DATA datakoll Techniques 2 August 21st 07 02:32 AM
Pedal Data UniTyler Unicycling 7 June 23rd 07 08:28 AM
More data against H****ts Tony Raven UK 4 May 1st 06 11:10 AM