New bike ?

Old March 10th 21, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default New bike ?

Thinking about getting a Habanero disk bike. Mark finally has the stuff and they would be pretty cool. I will probably ride it pretty much as a road bike alternative but I do think it would give me some more flexibility. At present my Habanero Team Issue is a fantastic road but but I run 23 or 25 tires and you don't go anywhere except the real pavement. I don't even go on the roads they just chipped till they get packed down.

So would to you think smart move or just wasting time. I also thought it might make for a better bike in the mountains. I would have lower gears and make a tad more stability and the disk brakes. Certainly if I took my present Habby to the really steep stuff I would put a 32 or 34 on the rear. That would do fine no question.
Deacon mark
Old March 10th 21, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 10 maart 2021 om 21:48:37 UTC+1 schreef Mark cleary:
Thinking about getting a Habanero disk bike. Mark finally has the stuff and they would be pretty cool. I will probably ride it pretty much as a road bike alternative but I do think it would give me some more flexibility. At present my Habanero Team Issue is a fantastic road but but I run 23 or 25 tires and you don't go anywhere except the real pavement. I don't even go on the roads they just chipped till they get packed down.

So would to you think smart move or just wasting time. I also thought it might make for a better bike in the mountains. I would have lower gears and make a tad more stability and the disk brakes. Certainly if I took my present Habby to the really steep stuff I would put a 32 or 34 on the rear. That would do fine no question.
Deacon mark

Tough question to answer for you. You only live once. I must admit that it took me also a long time to decide to buy my last bike. But looking back this last year that was a waste of time. Riding my bike(s) this last f*ck year was one of the things that kept me sane. In the nine months I have this bike I put on 5000 km (Ok 4991.9, just checked) almost half of my years total. So if you think buying this bike does improve your riding experience go for it. Life is too short. Succes.

Lou
Old March 10th 21, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 3/10/2021 3:06 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

What Lou said. I've always been pretty tight with a buck, but I decided
about 8 years ago that life was too short to have frequently-used
equipment that bugged me. And you can't take it with you. And "what
are you waiting for."

If your (Mark's) point was that you can't fit tires bigger than 25mm on
your existing Habanero, and that your roads are crappy, I'd say go for
it. Most of us on this group are too old to enjoy being pounded by
rough roads.

PS - if the new bike could be used on gravel, say with some bigger
tires, all the more reason. I used to be pretty much pavement-only.
Got a gravel bike two years ago. Now I use roads that are only ~1/2
mile away from the sometimes-semi-busy rural roads I know like the back
of my hand, but are essentially empty (counted at ~8-12 motor vehicles
per HOUR), with new scenery to boot. "It's a whole new world."

Mark J.
Old March 11th 21, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 3:46:07 PM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

Totally wrong. Mark's two, clear choices are a Felt CX bike or a 2003 Merckx Elite 7005 Easton aluminum bike. These are probably the two finest bikes every made, and I can get one or both of them for cheap. I know a guy.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 11th 21, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/10/2021 6:46 PM, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

What Lou said.Â* I've always been pretty tight with a buck, but I decided
about 8 years ago that life was too short to have frequently-used
equipment that bugged me.Â* And you can't take it with you.Â* And "what
are you waiting for."

If your (Mark's) point was that you can't fit tires bigger than 25mm on
your existing Habanero, and that your roads are crappy, I'd say go for
it.Â* Most of us on this group are too old to enjoy being pounded by
rough roads.

PS - if the new bike could be used on gravel, say with some bigger
tires, all the more reason.Â* I used to be pretty much pavement-only. Got
a gravel bike two years ago.Â* Now I use roads that are only ~1/2 mile
away from the sometimes-semi-busy rural roads I know like the back of my
hand, but are essentially empty (counted at ~8-12 motor vehicles per
HOUR), with new scenery to boot.Â* "It's a whole new world."

As a guy who long ago complained about the silliness of close-clearance
frames, I'm sitting here smiling. :-)

--
- Frank Krygowski