A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Eddy Merckx Elite.

Old March 24th 21, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Eddy Merckx Elite.

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 12:38:02 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 10:21:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 3:20:14 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 12:47:05 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 9:54:57 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
Well, it is coming together more slowly than I would like but coming together. All it needs now is the bottom bracket cups, the cabling, the chain, pedals and the handlebar tape. This should put the weight at about 18 lb.s That will make it lighter than the Colnago and a half lb heavier than the Treks. The fore and aft measurements are going to be identical to the Colnago. But with a longer top tube I will be more centered over the bike.. It has Michelin Pro4 Service Corsa tires on it so it will have traction. I only got one flat on these tires before and that was because I was too tired to look at the road properly and ran over a broken bottle.

As for the $100,000 that turned out to be a book keeping error, but I will be getting a check for enough to buy a new Felt road bike to set up with an 11 speed with hydraulic disks. I have a lot of the sub-components already. If I can't get used to the disks the bike will be very easy to pass off.
Well the same thing is holding up both the Merckx and the Felt - the bottom brackets which were ordered from the same Chinese company and haven't cleared Chinese customs yet. After they do they are usually pretty fast getting here. But the red tape there must work on the "he who is willing to bribe the most gets the service" And bottom brackets cost so little that no one is going to bribe anyone to get them through. But it was only a week and a half from buying a $400 set of Chinese wheels to them getting here.
WTF are you buying BBs from Chinese companies? For the Merckx, you can get a Shimano Italian BB from Performance for $21. https://www.performancebike.com/shim...rs500i/p498393 Or probably from a decent LBS, which you do have in the Bay Area. What is your fixation on cheap Chinese crap? Why don't you just mail the PRC a check for the next aircraft carrier, the CNS Kunich -- made entirely out of cheap Chinese CF aero wheels and bike-share bikes.

-- Jay Beattie.

I think you misunderstand Jay. The Shimano crank is going in the BB386 which is a weird standard. The Eddy is using a 30 mm shaft FSA BB. I would have thought that since Italian threads suck big time that Eddy would have changed to English threading by the time he was building super-light aluminum frames so I had purchased English threaded cups. I should have looked it up but in this day and age even my Colnago has English threads.

What? A 30mm shaft standard BB30 crank will be too short for the Merckx with outboard bearings. The only 30mm shaft crank wide enough is a a BB386 -- and if you have a BB386 crank, just put it in the Felt. Put the Shimano in the Merckx with a $22 Shimano outboard bearing. Why are you making this so hard?

-- Jay Beattie.

Are you just making this stuff up as you go along? I have an FSA BB386 crank. I'm wondering what your poor clients are thinking when you represent them.
Ads
Old March 24th 21, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 12:53:36 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
Well, it is coming together more slowly than I would like but coming together. All it needs now is the bottom bracket cups, the cabling, the chain, pedals and the handlebar tape. This should put the weight at about 18 lb.s That will make it lighter than the Colnago and a half lb heavier than the Treks. The fore and aft measurements are going to be identical to the Colnago. But with a longer top tube I will be more centered over the bike. It has Michelin Pro4 Service Corsa tires on it so it will have traction.. I only got one flat on these tires before and that was because I was too tired to look at the road properly and ran over a broken bottle.

As for the $100,000 that turned out to be a book keeping error, but I will be getting a check for enough to buy a new Felt road bike to set up with an 11 speed with hydraulic disks. I have a lot of the sub-components already. If I can't get used to the disks the bike will be very easy to pass off.
Well the same thing is holding up both the Merckx and the Felt - the bottom brackets which were ordered from the same Chinese company and haven't cleared Chinese customs yet. After they do they are usually pretty fast getting here. But the red tape there must work on the "he who is willing to bribe the most gets the service" And bottom brackets cost so little that no one is going to bribe anyone to get them through. But it was only a week and a half from buying a $400 set of Chinese wheels to them getting here..
WTF are you buying BBs from Chinese companies? For the Merckx, you can get a Shimano Italian BB from Performance for $21. https://www.performancebike.com/shim...rs500i/p498393 Or probably from a decent LBS, which you do have in the Bay Area. What is your fixation on cheap Chinese crap? Why don't you just mail the PRC a check for the next aircraft carrier, the CNS Kunich -- made entirely out of cheap Chinese CF aero wheels and bike-share bikes.

-- Jay Beattie.
I think you misunderstand Jay. The Shimano crank is going in the BB386 which is a weird standard. The Eddy is using a 30 mm shaft FSA BB. I would have thought that since Italian threads suck big time that Eddy would have changed to English threading by the time he was building super-light aluminum frames so I had purchased English threaded cups. I should have looked it up but in this day and age even my Colnago has English threads.

What? A 30mm shaft standard BB30 crank will be too short for the Merckx with outboard bearings. The only 30mm shaft crank wide enough is a a BB386 -- and if you have a BB386 crank, just put it in the Felt. Put the Shimano in the Merckx with a $22 Shimano outboard bearing. Why are you making this so hard?

-- Jay Beattie.

Are you just making this stuff up as you go along? I have an FSA BB386 crank. I'm wondering what your poor clients are thinking when you represent them.

Come to think of it perhaps you got that misordered BBright crank confused with my BB386. The BBright is almost the same but would use press in bearings in the otherwise similar bottom bracket. The bottom bracket shell would require a larger diameter and the cranks would be closer together. What would that be? PF30? I'm betting tired of everyone and their brother making new bottom bracket standards.
Old March 24th 21, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 1:34:06 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 12:53:36 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
Well, it is coming together more slowly than I would like but coming together. All it needs now is the bottom bracket cups, the cabling, the chain, pedals and the handlebar tape. This should put the weight at about 18 lb.s That will make it lighter than the Colnago and a half lb heavier than the Treks. The fore and aft measurements are going to be identical to the Colnago. But with a longer top tube I will be more centered over the bike. It has Michelin Pro4 Service Corsa tires on it so it will have traction. I only got one flat on these tires before and that was because I was too tired to look at the road properly and ran over a broken bottle.

Well the same thing is holding up both the Merckx and the Felt - the bottom brackets which were ordered from the same Chinese company and haven't cleared Chinese customs yet. After they do they are usually pretty fast getting here. But the red tape there must work on the "he who is willing to bribe the most gets the service" And bottom brackets cost so little that no one is going to bribe anyone to get them through. But it was only a week and a half from buying a $400 set of Chinese wheels to them getting here.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

Come to think of it perhaps you got that misordered BBright crank confused with my BB386. The BBright is almost the same but would use press in bearings in the otherwise similar bottom bracket. The bottom bracket shell would require a larger diameter and the cranks would be closer together. What would that be? PF30? I'm betting tired of everyone and their brother making new bottom bracket standards.

My poor clients. It's your poor purchasers that are getting a bunch of odd-ball ****. Why are you putting a BB386 into a non-BB386 BB frame and putting a Shimano crank into a BB386 frame? Don't you think the smart thing to do would be to put the BB386 crank into the BB386 frame (the Felt?) and the Shimano crank into the Merckx. Why are you swapping these two cranks and making your life miserable? A 30mm ID Italian threaded bearing is an exotic item. Is that what you're getting from China? Eg. https://tinyurl.com/22jdzmff Buy a $22 Italian Ultegra BB. Screw it in the Merckx. Put in Shimano crank and cancel all Chinese orders. That BB is also a wear item. I would not purchase that bike with a BB386 crank and an expensive and exotic BB that will need to be replaced. I would buy it with a plain old Shimano crank and threaded BB. Same goes with the BB386. I'd buy that knowing that I just have to get a plain old PF30 replacement if it went belly up.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 25th 21, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:42:31 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 1:15:59 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 5:20:14 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
Well, it is coming together more slowly than I would like but coming together. All it needs now is the bottom bracket cups, the cabling, the chain, pedals and the handlebar tape. This should put the weight at about 18 lb.s That will make it lighter than the Colnago and a half lb heavier than the Treks. The fore and aft measurements are going to be identical to the Colnago. But with a longer top tube I will be more centered over the bike. It has Michelin Pro4 Service Corsa tires on it so it will have traction. I only got one flat on these tires before and that was because I was too tired to look at the road properly and ran over a broken bottle.

WTF are you buying BBs from Chinese companies? For the Merckx, you can get a Shimano Italian BB from Performance for $21.
https://www.performancebike.com/shim...rs500i/p498393 Or probably from a decent LBS, which you do have in the Bay Area. What is your fixation on cheap Chinese crap? Why don't you just mail the PRC a check for the next aircraft carrier, the CNS Kunich -- made entirely out of cheap Chinese CF aero wheels and bike-share bikes.

-- Jay Beattie.

Tom, I am going to have to agree with Jay on this one. For the last 20 plus years now I have been using real cheap and SUPER reliable Shimano or Campagnolo sealed bearing cartridge bottom brackets with square tapers in almost all my frames. The carbon Di2 bike does have those new fangled external cups but its a Dura Ace bottom bracket. Reliable. Why F around with ordering Chinese bottom brackets. Just go on Amazon and get one shipped to you for free. Your Merckx Elite frame is just a regular aluminum bike. A normal bottom bracket and crank would be perfect in it.

Or buy (for me) local -- yikes, 40 clams for the Dura Ace in Italian thread. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...bracket?sg=500 Is it really worth almost two Ultegras?

I understand the Chinese buying craze -- its like going to Harbor Junk and shopping. Damn! A bench grinder for a dollar! I'll get one [cord falls off in car on way home]. There is all sorts of stuff on AliExpress that looks awesome -- underscore "looks."

Admittedly, a lot of American name-brand stuff is just Chinese junk, but one hopes the name-brand guys are doing a little more QC. And if not, at least there is someone local to sue.

-- Jay Beattie.

But... Harbor Freight grew from a hole in the wall, out of his garage,
business to I believe a 500 million dollar business today... selling
Chinese made junk to USians. It would appear that USians want to buy
cheap junk.

But you must be old enough to remember that after WW II Japan did just
as the Chinese are doing now, sold cheap junk. And look at them now.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 25th 21, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 12:21:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I should have looked it up but in this day and age even my Colnago has English threads.

Colnago frames have English threaded bottom brackets? I would have to see that to believe it.
Old March 26th 21, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 11:11:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 11:09:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 12:21:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I should have looked it up but in this day and age even my Colnago has English threads.

Colnago frames have English threaded bottom brackets? I would have to see that to believe it.

CLX3.0 They were built in Asia someplace and is one of the finest bikes I've ever ridden.

OK that makes sense. Asian made Colnagos with British threading. My whole life that I have known about Colnago bikes, they were always Italian threaded bottom brackets.