Eddy Merckx Elite.

Old March 26th 21, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Eddy Merckx Elite.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 10:17:19 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 10:21:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 11:11:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 11:09:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 12:21:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I should have looked it up but in this day and age even my Colnago has English threads.
Colnago frames have English threaded bottom brackets? I would have to see that to believe it.
CLX3.0 They were built in Asia someplace and is one of the finest bikes I've ever ridden.

OK that makes sense. Asian made Colnagos with British threading. My whole life that I have known about Colnago bikes, they were always Italian threaded bottom brackets.

All of the steel bikes from Colnago are. You can still order custom steel bikes from Italy's Colnago. Despite dumb-ass John's comments, Colnago is wholly owned by Colnago himself and he sponsors a racing team from the Arabian peninsula.

No Tommy you got it wrong again..

On May 4, 2020, Colnago announced that the UAE-based investment
company, Chimera Investments LLC had acquired majority of the Colnago
stakes from Ernesto Colnago.

Established in 2007, Chimera Investments LLC is an Abu Dhabi-based
private investment firm managing a diversified portfolio of listed and
unlisted equities on both local and regional markets.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 27th 21, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

No Johnny, you're wrong. If that brand name has been acquired by anyone else it is no longer a Colnago because the bike WAS Ernesto's reputation. Tell us how many Colnago's you've owned in your lifetime. What made them unique?
Old March 27th 21, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Tommy boy you are ****ing to windward and you are getting your feet
wet. If someone buys the majority of the shares in a company they
literally own the company. Not the name, the entire company lock,
stock and barrel.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 27th 21, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Uh:
https://cyclingindustry.news/colnago...guiding-force/

Colnagos were garbage for a decade after the bike boom. https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalo...e-80/BW31.html I remember when Bike Warehouse was closing them out for sub-$300. Ernesto was probably eating cannelloni in his office with fifty high school age kids brazing-up frames for the American market. Everyone that I know who has a modern Colnago has encountered problems, both with the bikes and with customer service -- one waiting over six months for a replacement frame. No, I've never owned one, and I've never wanted one. Your last Colnago was made in a factory in Taiwan.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 28th 21, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Jay, what is a "modern Colnago"?
Old March 28th 21, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Colnagos were garbage for a decade after the bike boom. https://bulgier..net/pics/bike/Catal...e-80/BW31.html I remember when Bike Warehouse was closing them out for sub-$300. Ernesto was probably eating cannelloni in his office with fifty high school age kids brazing-up frames for the American market. Everyone that I know who has a modern Colnago has encountered problems, both with the bikes and with customer service -- one waiting over six months for a replacement frame. No, I've never owned one, and I've never wanted one. Your last Colnago was made in a factory in Taiwan.

Jay, what is a "modern Colnago"?

Purchased in the last 3-5 years.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 29th 21, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Do you means the one's that couldn't be sold because the latest and greatest was carbon fiber? Come on Jay, you're lawyer and not supposed to be stupid. Ernesto had very good bikes and so were the American made Mazi's, But to everything there is a season. The carbon fiber Chinese Colnagos are very nice bikes but you couldn't give me a C64. If Ernesto sold off the company it would only be because he couldn't find one of his kids to will it to.
Old March 29th 21, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

I don't get your point. The bikes that had problems were bought in the last 3-5 years -- and yes, they were top-end CF bikes. The company also has a notoriously stingy warranty program. I have no idea how good the bikes were in the post SL/SP days since I'd moved on to aluminum, which was stiffer and lighter, and the weird shapes were not to my taste anyway. A California Masi was a whole other animal -- and one much more valuable, IMO. Same with DeRosa at its peak.

Again, I have no problem with people loving Colnago's, but I personally never thought much of them. Pinarello has also gotten glossy, but I still think of the '70s frames -- like Basso and Ciocc and all the other commodity Italian race frames. If you didn't get a Masi or a DeRosa, then it was one of a dozen fungible SP/SL Italian frames distinguished only by the lug cut-outs and decals.

There were enough custom builders in California that me and a lot of other people just went that direction -- for basically the same price and better paint than a stock Italian frame. Dale Saso built my frames, but Eisentraut and all the California Masi guys, Bruce Gordon, Gunner Caylor, etc., etc. I'd take any one of those frames before a late 70s early '80s era Colnago.. A bit later, Mike Appel or Sachs or Kellogg, etc., etc. I mean, look at this: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA...rtin_Appel.htm Why would you buy a Colnago?

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 29th 21, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I absolutely agree with you concerning the Italian made carbon bikes and the Colnago warranty on them that is 3 years but they will deny you warranty saying that the bike wasn't used for the purposes intended. But the Colnagos out of Taiwan are a different story altogether. I have been really impressed with the quality of everything. As I said, you couldn't give me a C64 if I had to ride it. The only thing that made the Colnago name recently is their paintwork.
Old March 30th 21, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

The 30 mm Italian cups came in today and the threads were so clean that they both screwed in tight by hand. I backed out the drive side a little ways and put some locktite in the threads. The bearing fit was a little tight and it took the deadblow hammer to get the cranks through it. The cranks spin easily. What is left is cables and handlebar tape now. Just got another inquiry about the Look Frame. We'll see if that leads to anything since most do not return an email. If I didn't want a product that I asked questions about I would tell them I decided on something else. Of course I don't make blind inquiries.

Eddy Merckx Elite Tom Kunich[_4_] Techniques 120 April 7th 21 03:15 AM
Eddy Merckx EX-1 62 cm Tom Kunich Marketplace 1 August 20th 08 06:38 PM
Eddy Merckx SC team frame, fork, Campagnolo hidden headset & Merckx seatpost clamp [email protected] Marketplace 0 September 13th 06 02:46 AM
Eddy Merckx Steve McGinty Racing 10 October 14th 04 03:40 AM
GP Eddy Merckx Colin Boyd Racing 3 August 23rd 04 07:01 PM