I am playing Russian Roulette?

Old March 22nd 21, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default I am playing Russian Roulette?

Ok I have the basic Shimano 11 speed 105 chain with the quick link installed. The quick link is suppose to be a one time deal not made to be reused at least I think. In any case I have taken the quick link off to dunk the chain in OMS and clean it I think once already. Today I decided again to do that since I was doing so routine maintenance on the bike. I notice now that the quick like does snap together easier and come off easier but appears to spin fine. The first time install the quick link I took all my effort with the proper quick link pliers to get it to snap in place.

So my question is should I figure it is good to go or put a new quick link on the chain. In the past I have always used a Wipperman Connex and they are far superior and reusable, but cost more. Since that is my reference point I wonder about the Shimano technology. Sure they want to buying new chains an quick links but the chain although has 5300 miles on it has almost no disenable stretch. That would be normal for me I get huge mile out of drive trains.
Deacon mark
Old March 22nd 21, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 2:11:19 PM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't worry too much, the worst thing that could happen is you throw a chain. You simply put another quick link in your saddle pack.
Old March 22nd 21, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op maandag 22 maart 2021 om 22:11:19 UTC+1 schreef Mark cleary:
[...]

My experience is that despite it is advertised as on time deal it can be opened and closed a couple of times without problems. I have to say that I always use the special pliers to open en close the quick link and while doing that I squeeze the outer plates together. Just checked my chain (11 speed Ultegra) on my gravel bike after exact the same mileage as you (5300 km) and the chain has to be replaced to save the cassette.

Lou
Old March 22nd 21, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 3:05:56 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

True, but dropping a chain is still a bummer, particularly if you're out of the saddle when it happens.

I'm not aware of an epidemic of failed chains due to reused 11sp quick links. From what I can tell, its a wear issue and the concern that once removed, the link will not reseat snugly and can fall off. You could always snap it back on and see if it is still has a snug pin/plate fit. If so, I wouldn't worry. This, by the way, is why I clean my chain on the bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 23rd 21, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 14:11:17 -0700 (PDT), Mark cleary
wrote:

[...]

I've used quick links from manufacturers other than Shimano over and
over and to be frank the Shimano quick link looks just like the ones I
have been using. Shimano, of course, posts a yard of warnings that if
you reuse the link it *may* break however I would question whether it
is more likely to break than any of the ones, from other makers, I've
been using, that haven't broken?

But then, can you buy a new Shimano link and how much is it? Would it
be financially logical to replace the link buying a new one each time?

Ah well, I just checked the price and I see a SRAM 12 speed link
marked down to $12.16 from the list price of $17.00.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 23rd 21, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I've reused the allegedly one-use KMC 11 speed quick links. I
suspect the difference with Shimano is different lawyers, not different
technology.

Mark J.
Old March 23rd 21, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I've reused the allegedly one-use KMC 11 speed quick links.Â* I
suspect the difference with Shimano is different lawyers, not different
technology.

If anyone ever has one of those fail, it would be interesting to see a
deatailed photo of the failed part. I'm curious about how it gives way.

Shimano's have a reputation for taking a lot of force to remove. I
wonder if the removal process loosens the peened connection of the pin
with the side plate.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 23rd 21, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

I had an 8 or 9speed quick link come apart during a shift -- back in the early days of reusable quick links. I probably got the chain hung-up and side-loaded in exactly the wrong way. Its the only time I've had a quick-link problem. The quick link on my light bike is pointing the wrong way, which spells certain disaster.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 23rd 21, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 3:26:11 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I have taken these links on and off perhaps a dozen times on a single chain and I climb a lot. It finally got to the point where it seemed to come off a little too easy so I simply replaced them. I have an entire card of them and I think I've used 4 out of 6.
Old March 23rd 21, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

My Ultegra chain wore out in a remarkably short amount of time so replacing it with a KMC fixed that problem. I had read a chain test article that said that Shimano chains were so cheap that replacing them was cheaper than buying a good chain. But I really don't want a chain to stretched so rapidly that after a month of riding the chain wear gauge falls right through.

Russian Cycling Tarcap UK 13 July 1st 14 10:44 AM
San Fransisco Hills - Russian Roulette elyob UK 6 July 15th 06 12:55 PM
_Cellular Telephone Russian Roulette -- A Historical and Scientific Perspective_, by Robert C. Kane Gary S. Mountain Biking 23 March 21st 05 10:02 PM
Attn: MONIQUE (Was: _Cellular Telephone Russian Roulette -- A Historical and Scientific Perspective_, by Robert C. Kane S o r n i Mountain Biking 0 March 11th 05 12:15 AM
_Cellular Telephone Russian Roulette -- A Historical andScient... [email protected] Mountain Biking 0 February 25th 05 12:30 PM