60th Anniversary Schwinn titanium price

Old March 31st 21, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default 60th Anniversary Schwinn titanium price

On 3/31/2021 9:23 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 7:32:17 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/30/2021 3:06 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 10:25:50 a.m. UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/30/2021 1:21 AM, wrote:
On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 10:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 7:31:23 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/29/2021 6:20 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I have absolutely no problem being "locked into" a 1"
threaded stem. As Russell said, there's nothing terrible
about that. If there were, I'd have to sell a bunch of
bikes. We can discuss details, but the advantages of
threadless are minor to the rider.

Other issues you mentioned (tire clearance, gear range) were
not mentioned by Russell or me. Not being "modern or
current" were, and without specifics, those are fashion words.

It's actually more than fashion sometimes. Campagnolo EXA-8
cassettes for example. Or Shimano UG cassettes. Or either of
Gary Klein's unique stem formats. I could go on. There are
systems friends don't let friends buy on craigslist.
No doubt, there are bad choices that people can be made. But those choices aren't avoided
by buying what's "modern and current." As just one example: For quite a few years it was possible
to go very wrong by buying "this year's bottom bracket." (How many "standards" are there now?)

- Frank Krygowski

OK. Maybe "modern and current" was not the best choice of words. But "still and for the prior 20 years commonly used parts" doesn't sound as good. Think of tires. 700C is the road standard now. But 27" and 650C were made too. And 650B is in there somewhere too. And with mountain bikes, the standard is 26" and/or 29"(700C). If anyone asked me, I'd say buy a 700C road bike today. For mountain, I'm not too familiar so not sure if 26" or 29"(700C) is the way to go. And my "modern and current" terminology was more applicable to the bigger, main parts. Like fork size, 1.125". Seatpost size, 27.2 or 31.8. Type of stem, threadless. Wheel diameter size, 700C. And English threaded bottom brackets.
That all sounds pretty reasonable, although with some room for
individual choice. Specifically, a 1" threaded stem wouldn't bother me
in the slightest. In general, I'm not keen on keeping current with
modern fashion just to be fashionable. It's not hard to cite fashionable
"improvements" that are minor indeed, or even detrimental on balance.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I have never seen a threaded stem. I've seen and own lots of stems for a fork that uses a threaded headset though.

Terminology is important as many here say.

Ah, good point.

And you may have just inspired another headset standard! We're running
low on them, you know.

This was another of those threads that slipped so far off subject that it has become useless.

Right! By now it should instead have morphed into a rant about how Biden
caused the fake coronavirus when he was vice president due to the
rampant election fraud in 2008 when you were inventing the International
Space Station.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 31st 21, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 3/30/2021 1:21 AM, wrote:
[...]

So as usual you're saying that a titanium frame is a useless piece of junk that couldn't possibly have any value. Frank, everyone should take your sage advice because you never fail in the lurch.
Old April 1st 21, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 3/30/2021 1:21 AM, wrote:
[...]

Well, given the choice of Franks' expertise over your pathetic version.....