Rear Wheel 126 or 120

Old April 11th 21, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default Rear Wheel 126 or 120

A parishioner brought me a wheel to true. Turns out the hub cracked at the flange. It is an old Mavic 700mm rear wheel with an 8 speed freewheel on it.. I simply measured it against my 130 road hubs and did not actually measure the distance over the lock nut. It seem from memory to be a large gap than being a 126.

My question is could this wheel be a 120? The bike he rides is an old 20 year old Raleigh and he needs a new rear wheel. What are the best options and I left him a message to call me to measure the actual dropout distance. Do you think is could be 120, 126, or something else. Any of these wheels around, Andrew?
Deacon Mark
Old April 11th 21, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 3:18:12 PM UTC-5, Mark cleary wrote:
A parishioner brought me a wheel to true. Turns out the hub cracked at the flange. It is an old Mavic 700mm rear wheel with an 8 speed freewheel on it. I simply measured it against my 130 road hubs and did not actually measure the distance over the lock nut. It seem from memory to be a large gap than being a 126.

My question is could this wheel be a 120? The bike he rides is an old 20 year old Raleigh and he needs a new rear wheel. What are the best options and I left him a message to call me to measure the actual dropout distance. Do you think is could be 120, 126, or something else. Any of these wheels around, Andrew?
Deacon Mark

So my research suggest that rare to have 8 speed freewheels except Sachs Hubs did. Many be this was a Sachs hub and in that case given 8 speeds it has to be a 126mm spread. This guys is toast on what to do.
Deacon mark
Old April 11th 21, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 4:18:12 p.m. UTC-4, Mark cleary wrote:
A parishioner brought me a wheel to true. Turns out the hub cracked at the flange. It is an old Mavic 700mm rear wheel with an 8 speed freewheel on it. I simply measured it against my 130 road hubs and did not actually measure the distance over the lock nut. It seem from memory to be a large gap than being a 126.

My question is could this wheel be a 120? The bike he rides is an old 20 year old Raleigh and he needs a new rear wheel. What are the best options and I left him a message to call me to measure the actual dropout distance. Do you think is could be 120, 126, or something else. Any of these wheels around, Andrew?
Deacon Mark

What area are you in? You can email me that info. The email addy works as is.

Cheers
Old April 11th 21, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/11/2021 3:18 PM, Mark cleary wrote:
A parishioner brought me a wheel to true. Turns out the hub cracked at the flange. It is an old Mavic 700mm rear wheel with an 8 speed freewheel on it. I simply measured it against my 130 road hubs and did not actually measure the distance over the lock nut. It seem from memory to be a large gap than being a 126.

My question is could this wheel be a 120? The bike he rides is an old 20 year old Raleigh and he needs a new rear wheel. What are the best options and I left him a message to call me to measure the actual dropout distance. Do you think is could be 120, 126, or something else. Any of these wheels around, Andrew?
Deacon Mark

130mm overall with 40mm gear space:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/cahubspc.jpg

If this guy's big, convince him that a cassette wheel is a
better path here.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 11th 21, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/11/2021 3:34 PM, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

Sachs FW-8, like Mavic and everyone else, are 130mm.
FW-8 just has inherent problems.