Live Tour Coverage - Tonight at 11.25pm

Old July 20th 04, 11:39 PM
hippy

Default Live Tour Coverage - Tonight at 11.25pm

Yeah.. so either make sure you have good
coffee near work the next day or tape it!

hippy

Old July 21st 04, 12:36 AM
Walrus

hippy Wrote:
Yeah.. so either make sure you have good
coffee near work the next day or tape it!

hippy

I stayed up for Sunday's coverage of the transition stage ().
Tonight's will be much better, but Lance is riding last, so it'll be a
late one!

--
Walrus
Old July 21st 04, 01:29 AM
mfhor

Walrus Wrote:
I stayed up for Sunday's coverage of the transition stage ().
Tonight's will be much better, but Lance is riding last, so it'll be a
late one!

Well, if they're tuff enuf to do it, I'm tuff enuf to stay up and
watch . . . (snore).

The advantage of taping it I suppose is that you can FF thru all the
slugs, inadvertantly speeding them up L'Alpe, and enhance your
champion's grimping and grinding.

M "22/32, 26" wheels and all day to do it" H

--
mfhor
Old July 21st 04, 02:08 AM
Marx SS

Up late for this 'lil black duck.

Graident is up, up , up all the way isn't it?

--
Marx SS
Old July 21st 04, 02:33 AM
flyingdutch

Marx SS Wrote:
Up late for this 'lil black duck.

Graident is up, up , up all the way isn't it?

Basso can either win or lose it right here, right now

Maybe Mayo can make up 45 minutes :-)

--
flyingdutch

Old July 21st 04, 05:46 AM
stu

Graident is up, up , up all the way isn't it?

who would have thought it would be so hard to find a real map???
well it is, so this is the best I can do

total ascent 1125m
Date: 21/7/2004 Distance: 15.5km
This Time Trial up the famous L'Alpe d'Huez (Hors Categorie) starts with a
flat 1.7km stretch but then it's the 13.8km climb at an average grade of 7.8
percent, with 21 switchbacks to the summit.

makes the 1/20 look easy

Old July 21st 04, 06:01 AM
jazmo

I'm going to try my best to stay up for this. I'll try not to fall
asleep. Hopefully the fact that Lance is riding last will keep me up.

--
jazmo

Old July 21st 04, 06:03 AM
byron27

taken by itself its not so bad (so bad, relative, to say, getting your
fingernails pulled out with electric pliers). The Alpe is a
heartbreaker because it is usually the last climb of a stage, after
climbing the galabier and the madeleine. That said, the first two
switchbacks are nasty, nasty but its not too bad after that. The
switchbacks are great to get a rest for a couple of secs and because it
is back and forth up the mountain the visual impact is not so
terrifying.I was quite surprised. I had more trouble getting up to
chamrousse just outside of grenoble (used for the ITT in 2001) than the
alpe.

Ventoux is like that. No switchbacks and a clear view to the
top....great .

Anyone have any times for their ride up the alpe?
I did 51 minutes in 2001, and it was the best fun ive had for ages. So
was riding back down!!

--
byron27

Old July 21st 04, 08:32 AM
GDS

Yeah.. so either make sure you have good
coffee near work the next day or tape it!

I'm pulling a sickie )

G.

Old July 21st 04, 08:49 AM
ritcho

byron27 Wrote:

[snip]

Anyone have any times for their ride up the alpe?
I did 51 minutes in 2001, and it was the best fun ive had for ages. So
was riding back down!!

So if the winner completes the time trial in 38 minutes and the cut-off
is 33%, or about 12.5 minutes, giving a cut-off time of about 50.5min.
You almost made the cut-off! That's fast all right, well done!

Another way to look at it is to think of the required watts/kg. It's
more or less proportional to speed on a steep slope. I think I would
need about 50% cut-off time (at least) as an estimate on that basis...

Ritch

--
ritcho