Helmet saves...

Old November 9th 04, 05:57 AM
Leo Lichtman

Default Helmet saves...

"AustinMN" wrote: Do you honestly believe that a 50 cent piece of
Styrofoam that can be crushed with a finger would protect a skull (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I honestly believe that a properly shaped Styrofoam surround is capable of
protecting what is within it. That is why I drive home with eggs in a
Styrofoam container, and why most delicate products are packaged by the
manufacturers in Styrofoam. Are you aware that almost all car bumpers are
now made of such foam? It is the fact that it crushes in an orderly manner
that provides the protection.

That does not prove that helmets prevent head injuries, but I hate to see
the wrong arguments used.

Old November 9th 04, 07:26 AM
larryaus

Leo Lichtman Wrote:
"AustinMN" wrote: Do you honestly believe that a 50 cent piece of
Styrofoam that can be crushed with a finger would protect a skull
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I honestly believe that a properly shaped Styrofoam surround is capable
of
protecting what is within it. That is why I drive home with eggs in a
Styrofoam container, and why most delicate products are packaged by the
manufacturers in Styrofoam. Are you aware that almost all car bumpers
are
now made of such foam? It is the fact that it crushes in an orderly
manner
that provides the protection.

That does not prove that helmets prevent head injuries, but I hate to
see
the wrong arguments used.

Agreed. I was hit by a motorcycle two years ago and the indent in the
helmet was better there then in my head. Last week I was hit by a car
turning left right in front of me and I could not brake fast enough
without hitting the car. The woman did not stop even though she knew
she hit me. My other rider and a car chased her and stopped her. As I
fell to the left my head was hit by her rear wheel and with the helmet
on I feel I was saved a bit. I lost some meat and damage to the bike
but I am alive. I am from the Gold Coast in Australia and we have to
wear helmets. I have been riding for years and no matter what you
cannot expect the unexpected so by wearing helmets it does help the
unexpected. I do believe in helmets. Larry

--
larryaus

Old November 9th 04, 01:08 PM
Maggie

larryaus wrote in message ...
Leo Lichtman Wrote:
"AustinMN" wrote: Do you honestly believe that a 50 cent piece of
Styrofoam that can be crushed with a finger would protect a skull
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agreed. I was hit by a motorcycle two years ago and the indent in

the
helmet was better there then in my head. Last week I was hit by a car
turning left right in front of me and I could not brake fast enough
without hitting the car. The woman did not stop even though she knew
she hit me. My other rider and a car chased her and stopped her. As I
fell to the left my head was hit by her rear wheel and with the helmet
on

What this newbie gets from all the accidents I am reading about is the
following.....Stay in the park so you don't get killed or get hat hair
from wearing a helmet. Not to be flip about all this, but all the
accident stories make me feel as if riding a bike in traffic is not
worth it. I am too old to die this young. I made it to age 50.....I'd
like to keep going.
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 9th 04, 01:39 PM
Beaker

On 9 Nov 2004 05:08:54 -0800, Maggie quoth:

What this newbie gets from all the accidents I am reading about is the
following.....Stay in the park so you don't get killed or get hat hair
from wearing a helmet. Not to be flip about all this, but all the
accident stories make me feel as if riding a bike in traffic is not
worth it. I am too old to die this young. I made it to age 50.....I'd
like to keep going.

Riding in a car is going to kill you much sooner than riding a bike.

Having "hat hair" beats having "wind-hair", IMHO.

bkr
Old November 9th 04, 02:06 PM
psycholist

"Maggie" wrote in message
om...
larryaus wrote in message
Leo Lichtman Wrote:
[...]

Maggie,

Here's a bit of confusing perspective. This is the dialog that took place
between me and the ER physician after the ambulance delivered me there.

Physician: "You're very lucky to be alive. Were it not for the incredible
shape you're in, you wouldn't be.

Me: "Indeed, the bike is responsible for the shape I'm in."

Bob C.

Old November 9th 04, 03:56 PM
AustinMN

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"AustinMN" wrote: Do you honestly believe that a 50 cent piece of
Styrofoam that can be crushed with a finger would protect a skull (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I honestly believe that a properly shaped Styrofoam surround is capable of
protecting what is within it. That is why I drive home with eggs in a
Styrofoam container, and why most delicate products are packaged by the
manufacturers in Styrofoam. Are you aware that almost all car bumpers are
now made of such foam? It is the fact that it crushes in an orderly
manner that provides the protection.

That does not prove that helmets prevent head injuries, but I hate to see
the wrong arguments used.

If you hate to see the wrong argument used, why did you go so far out of
your way to divorce the comment from it's context (even to the point of
snipping it mid-sentence)? I have no doubt that a Styrofoam hat can protect
one's head from what it's designed to protect it from...scrapes and bruises,
maybe a mild concussion.

But the context of my statement was where someone's brains had been forced
out of their skull. Expecting a foam hat to protect against that is like
expecting an egg carton to protect the eggs from someone stomping on them.

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address

Old November 9th 04, 05:16 PM
Dan

"AustinMN" wrote in
:

Leo Lichtman wrote:
[...]

Wear your helmet and shut, Austin!
Old November 9th 04, 06:36 PM
Leo Lichtman

"AustinMN" wrote: If you hate to see the wrong argument used, why did you go
so far out of your way to divorce the comment from it's context (even to
the point of snipping it mid-sentence?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My snipping was not intended to alter the meaning, nor do I think it did. I
prefer responses to be focussed on the point being responded to--I hate to
wade through the entire thread over and over again as I attempt to find what
is new at the end.

Perhaps some others in this group would like to comment on this.

Old November 9th 04, 07:35 PM
Chris B.

wrote:

larryaus wrote in message ...
Leo Lichtman Wrote:
[...]

You don't actually exist, according to the anti-cyclist fearmongers.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under

- C.S. Lewis
Old November 9th 04, 08:25 PM
AustinMN

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"AustinMN" wrote: If you hate to see the wrong argument used, why did you
go so far out of your way to divorce the comment from it's context (even
to the point of snipping it mid-sentence?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My snipping was not intended to alter the meaning, nor do I think it did.

First, you broke the thread (so that it becomes difficult for others to find
my original post (and learn what I actually said). Then you claim that your
clipped quote:

Do you honestly believe that a 50 cent piece of Styrofoam that can be
crushed with a finger would protect a skull

has the same intent as my actual statement:

Do you honestly believe that a 50 cent piece of Styrofoam that can be
crushed with a finger would protect a skull (which, by the way, is many,
many times harder than the Styrofoam hat) from that kind of trauma?

The inappropriate clip makes it sound like I am claiming helmets can't
protect one's skull. What I'm actually claiming is that a Styrofoam helmet
won't protect a skull from a trauma capable of causing a person's brains to
be squeezed out of that skull.

I prefer responses to be focussed on the point being responded to--I hate
wade through the entire thread over and over again as I attempt to find
what
is new at the end.

This is valid, but this is not what you did. You invented a point that was
not even there by surgically altering the sentence, removing the context and
then responding to that.

Perhaps some others in this group would like to comment on this.

Yes, indeed. I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Austin