Wellgo pedals

Old November 9th 04, 11:11 PM
Pat

Default Wellgo pedals

Does anyone here have the WAM-R1 Wellgo road pedals which are supposed to be
"Look compatible"? My Look cleats are a bit larger than the Wellgo cleats
supplied with the pedals. What do people do--trim the Look cleats to fit? I
can't find a supplier for replacement Wellgo cleats.

Pat in TX

Old November 10th 04, 12:49 AM
maxo

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:11:07 -0600, Pat wrote:

I can't find a supplier for replacement Wellgo cleats.

I can't point you in exactly the right direction, but be aware that Wellgo
makes pedals that get sold under other names, so perhaps have a look in
the Nashbar, Performance catalogs, etc, and see if one of their
house-brand pedals looks like the Wellgo--it no doubt will be one in the
same, then you can order the "house brand" replacement cleats.

yellowjersey.org has a wide selection of cleats as well.

good luck!

Old November 10th 04, 01:06 AM
Pat

: I can't find a supplier for replacement Wellgo cleats.
:
: I can't point you in exactly the right direction, but be aware that Wellgo
: makes pedals that get sold under other names, so perhaps have a look in
: the Nashbar, Performance catalogs, etc, and see if one of their
: house-brand pedals looks like the Wellgo--it no doubt will be one in the
: same, then you can order the "house brand" replacement cleats.
:
: yellowjersey.org has a wide selection of cleats as well.
:
: good luck!

I bought these from Pricepoint and called them today with just that
question. They do not list replacement cleats in their catalog. I asked the
guy in customer service (his name was Otto, but he sure didn't sound like an
"Otto" if you get my drift.). I said, "What am I supposed to do when these
cleats wear out?" and he didn't know, so he just told me to return the
pedals for a credit. I do know that Wellgo makes pedals for other people,
and I realize that the cleats would have to be just a little different so as
not to be exact copies of the Look cleats, but the Look cleats just do not
fit these pedals.

Pat in TX
:

Old November 10th 04, 05:28 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Does anyone here have the WAM-R1 Wellgo road pedals which are supposed to
be
"Look compatible"? My Look cleats are a bit larger than the Wellgo cleats
supplied with the pedals. What do people do--trim the Look cleats to fit?
can't find a supplier for replacement Wellgo cleats.

Wellgo pedals are a crapshoot. You'll read from people here who say they got
a fantastic deal on a pair of "compatible" Wellgo pedals for $20, but you'll
also find a number of posts from others who have found some Wellgo models
that are similar (in terms of cleat used) but different. Any my personal
experience has been that they've made some real stinkeroos in terms of easy
entry/release.

My point? Wellgo makes some really nice pedals, and some that should be
avoided at all costs. They're a huge company that OEMs them for others as
well, but there's little consistency. Check them out carefully before you
buy. You might also look at name-brand alternatives, since you can often get
very good deals on older-model "real" Look pedals, and Shimano still has
their basic offerings for about $50 (and the darned things will *never* wear
out, in our experience, so it's $50 that might last from one bike to the
next).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com